• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
The return of Friday night football sees the continuation of the waterfowl theme. After Sheldrake's abysmal performance a couple of weeks' ago, tonight we have Coote.

We have a pretty decent record against Scunthorpe at home and the man in charge as we attempt to keep that good record going is being fast-tracked more than any other referee since Attwell (and that worked out well!!). He is David Coote from Winthorpe near Newark. He is a fourth year referee and he has been getting appointments far better than his experience (and, probably, ability) warrants. He used to work for the Nottinghamshire FA as their Referees' Development Officer but he now works for the Manchester FA in a similar capacity. His rapid elevation and his choice of employers is, of course, entirely co-incidental.

He has refereed five Southend matches previously. Firstly when I don't think any blame was attributed to him for our late, late defeat at Chesterfield and then in our draw at Torquay - both 2010/11.Later the same season he looked a little out of his depth to me when he officiated the home match against a somewhat fractious Stevenage side resulting in seven yellows and a red mostly to them.

Then he did the season before last's disappointing 1-1 home draw with Dagenham cautioning Grant and Ferdinand and one of theirs.

Finally, he presided over our 3-3 draw at Oxford in the Paint Pot last season when Bentley came off the bench to see us safely through the penalty shoot-out. Just one yellow for Woodyard.

Last season his card count was about as average as you can get with 96 yellows and 4 reds from 32 matches. Thus far this season he has 15 yellows from 4 games (two of them Championship matches).

The Assistants will be Nigel Lugg from Chipstead and, strangely, senior Assistant David Richardson from West Yorkshire (who officiated in the Cup Final) with Matt Foley from London carrying out the 4th official duties.

Hopefully this ref to count in 10 if we get a free kick, anyone else realise (I know the south upper did) that the ref on Saturday didn't count to ten when we had a free kick on the edge of the box once. At one point he counted to 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully this ref to count in 10 if we get a free kick, anyone else realise (I know the south upper did) that the ref on Saturday didn't count to ten when we had a free kick on the edge of the box once. At one point he counted to 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you thought that he might know that his stride is over a yard and that 8 of his strides is 10 yards....

Have you thought that he might know that his stride is over a yard and that 8 of his strides is 10 yards....

It's a possibility, but given that he couldn't even walk it in a straight line I think I'll go with the option that he's inept.

All this rubbish of striding out 10 yards is a waste of time. Just let the players get on with it, and if a player within 10 yards interferes with the taking of a free kick, book him for deliberately spoiling the game.

Simples.

That way, we get to watch more football for our hard earned. I can't speak for everyone, but I suspect I'm not the only one who doesn't pay £22 to watch a referee pacing out 10 yards all the time.

Just let the players get on with it, and if a player within 10 yards interferes with the taking of a free kick, book him for deliberately spoiling the game.

...... and how will we or the ref know whether it's within 10 yards ?? I know he could pace it out !

..... or maybe refs can be issued with one of those laser measuring devices that estate agents use?

If I'd refereed a game and the biggest talking point was how many of my strides made up 10 yards, I'd be pretty pleased.

...... and how will we or the ref know whether it's within 10 yards ?? I know he could pace it out !

..... or maybe refs can be issued with one of those laser measuring devices that estate agents use?

If I'd refereed a game and the biggest talking point was how many of my strides made up 10 yards, I'd be pretty pleased.

This and one of those spray cans to then mark the line.

Far better investment than in goal-line technology.

Easy, we'll know if the ref doesn't think it was 10 yards cos he'd be getting his notebook out.

It works a treat cos players soon start backing off and choosing not to interfere with play, rather than trying the patience of the ref and everyone watching by inching back when they know they're no-where near 10 yards yet and they're just buying time for their team mates to get back and defend.

...and my point is that if the ref didn't have to "arrange" a bunch of grown men like little schoolboys whilst we all pay for the privilege of watching him do it, that ref wouldn't have had anything to worry about.

If a 10 yard distance isn't hard to arrange, it's equally easy for the players just to get 10 yards to get out of the way. Put the onus on the players to take responsibility, rather than somehow making out it's the refs fault that players aren't 10 yards. They get paid more than the ref for a start. So they should take responsibility.

Back