• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who is the best player in the world?

• Total voters

Ricey

I’m a Mod⭐⭐
Staff member
I was watching a documentary on Cristiano 'couldn't score at Roots Hall' Ronaldo. It was a really enjoyable watch but one of the main points from it was the age old argument. Who is the best player in the world? Ronaldo or Messi?

For me it's hard to decide as you have on one hand a player who has played his entire professional career at arguably the greatest club in the world and been a huge success broken records left right and centre, won trophies with Barca and personal trophies a plenty.

And on the other hand you have a player that has proved himself in Portugal, England and now Spain. Yet he is still behind Messi with awards and trophies in Spain.

But they both share one thing in common and that is their lack of success in the biggest stage, internationally.

So I throw it out to the Zoners who is better?

Rather than ranking players, just enjoy them.

(however, it's 1. Corr, 2. Messi, 3. Gower, 4. C.Ronaldo)

Francis Laurent easily!

Personally, I think Ronaldo is a better all round player than Messi. Ronaldo practically carried Man U in his last couple of seasons there and while there was a comment saying "he coulnd't do it in big matches" that was rubbish IMO. His FA Cup final display against Millwall and the Champions League final against Chelsea were 2 brilliant performances.

Thought Ronaldo was great in the 2004 Euros too when they got to the final only to lose to Greece!

Very close, but IMO the only reason Messi is considered better is the Barcelona factor and the fact he is more marketable, which is most likely down to him not seen as "arrogant" unlike Ronaldo is seen.

Also, has anyone heard of Messi's off-the-pitch antics and what he apparently has done? If they are true then it could change how some see him ....

Francis Laurent easily!

Personally, I think Ronaldo is a better all round player than Messi. Ronaldo practically carried Man U in his last couple of seasons there and while there was a comment saying "he coulnd't do it in big matches" that was rubbish IMO. His FA Cup final display against Millwall and the Champions League final against Chelsea were 2 brilliant performances.

Thought Ronaldo was great in the 2004 Euros too when they got to the final only to lose to Greece!

Very close, but IMO the only reason Messi is considered better is the Barcelona factor and the fact he is more marketable, which is most likely down to him not seen as "arrogant" unlike Ronaldo is seen.

Also, has anyone heard of Messi's off-the-pitch antics and what he apparently has done? If they are true then it could change how some see him ....

What are his off pitch antics?

What are his off pitch antics?

One is that he was giving Tello (Barcelona team-mate coming up from youth team) a right bollocking saying that he was "nobody" and he was just there to give Messi the ball. Tello left training in tears that day.

Also heard that while in a team meeting he told Guardiola he wanted a drink, but Guardiola told him to stay until the meeting was over. Messi then stood up, got a drink from a machine and then drink it right in front of Guardiola.

Not 100% sure how reliable these are, but there are other reports he has had altercations with team-mates in training.

One is that he was giving Tello (Barcelona team-mate coming up from youth team) a right bollocking saying that he was "nobody" and he was just there to give Messi the ball. Tello left training in tears that day.

Also heard that while in a team meeting he told Guardiola he wanted a drink, but Guardiola told him to stay until the meeting was over. Messi then stood up, got a drink from a machine and then drink it right in front of Guardiola.

Not 100% sure how reliable these are, but there are other reports he has had altercations with team-mates in training.

Was that at Barcelona or an infant school !?

I know I've said this before, but people really ought to read Zlatan's autobiography for insight into Guardiola's Barcelona and the hold Messi has over that club.

Zlatan's Autobiography

"the best book ever written" - Z. Ibrahimovic

Have to agree, Corr all day for me. Followed by Ronaldo as I think he's a footballing genius.

PELE, FOOTBALLING GENIUS. 2 MARADONA. never seen a player with hands as good as his.3 Georgie Best.Wasnt he great that day way back when he tore Benfica to shreds,and Benfica had that Eusebio too he was good .

PELE, FOOTBALLING GENIUS. 2 MARADONA. never seen a player with hands as good as his.3 Georgie Best.Wasnt he great that day way back when he tore Benfica to shreds,and Benfica had that Eusebio too he was good .

Those are all players I wish I could have seen, along with Beckenbauer and Bobby Charlton.

Francis Laurent easily!

Absolutely this.

Ronaldo is the best player on his own for me.

I have alwasy said the way to judge it is if you put either in the Southend team who would do better, and it's Ronaldo.

Absolutely this.

Ronaldo is the best player on his own for me.

I have alwasy said the way to judge it is if you put either in the Southend team who would do better, and it's Ronaldo.

Agreed. If you asked me which of these players you would want in the starting line up for Southend tonight, I would say Ronaldo.

Back