• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

spoons

Manager
Just back from watching Southend wasting the ball for the whole match.
Can Mr Brown explain on here what his instructions were to Barry Corr. Corr was stuck in the middle of the pitch, too slow or uninterested to get forward leaving Cauley Woodrow to run his socks off to pose the only threat to a hardworking Newport side who seemed to know what they were trying to achieve.
Brown is boosting Bentleys confidence by saying how ell he played and he did make some great saves but it was his blunder that led to the opening goal. He looked like Bambi on ice as he ran out to take the ball from his defender. Up to that goal Southend seemed set up for a goalless draw and to suggest we were set up as 4-3-3 was a joke. The midfield was the problem and our lack of goal potency will cost us dear this season

Coker with a blistering free kick seemingly gave us a chance to get back to the dressing room to sort out what was happening. Coonor kept passing the ball to the opposition, Hurst was ineffective, and whilst I hear what Brown says about an inexperienced defence, the problems today were a misfiring midfield. Atkinson and Leonard were hopeless with poor distribution and not enough determination to keep the ball. Auger did quite well but Browns words last week of players linking up and playing well together was a joke if todays game was taken as an example.
It could easily have been 5 or 6 goals to 1 today and that is not good enough. Newport had lost their captain to injury and had players missing but they were able to beat us to the ball all afternoon which has to be disappointing to Southend fans.
Brown says we have players capable of playing in a higher league, but today they looked incapable of playing at this level.
Moaning yes, because we were dreadful today. Come on Brown, come on here and explain the tactics for todays match.:smile:

One of the biggest troubles is SUFC are a young and inexperienced side, and that being as it is means they will have plenty of off days.It is a learning curve for most at present im afraid and you fans have to expect and accept this.Given time it will change as they get more and more experience, then you will see less bad days, just need to be patient with them people and you will be rewarded.I ve said right from the beginning ,it wont be this season but keep them together and next season they will blossom. UTB

Just back from watching Southend wasting the ball for the whole match.
Can Mr Brown explain on here what his instructions were to Barry Corr. Corr was stuck in the middle of the pitch, too slow or uninterested to get forward leaving Cauley Woodrow to run his socks off to pose the only threat to a hardworking Newport side who seemed to know what they were trying to achieve.
Brown is boosting Bentleys confidence by saying how ell he played and he did make some great saves but it was his blunder that led to the opening goal. He looked like Bambi on ice as he ran out to take the ball from his defender. Up to that goal Southend seemed set up for a goalless draw and to suggest we were set up as 4-3-3 was a joke. The midfield was the problem and our lack of goal potency will cost us dear this season

Coker with a blistering free kick seemingly gave us a chance to get back to the dressing room to sort out what was happening. Coonor kept passing the ball to the opposition, Hurst was ineffective, and whilst I hear what Brown says about an inexperienced defence, the problems today were a misfiring midfield. Atkinson and Leonard were hopeless with poor distribution and not enough determination to keep the ball. Auger did quite well but Browns words last week of players linking up and playing well together was a joke if todays game was taken as an example.
It could easily have been 5 or 6 goals to 1 today and that is not good enough. Newport had lost their captain to injury and had players missing but they were able to beat us to the ball all afternoon which has to be disappointing to Southend fans.
Brown says we have players capable of playing in a higher league, but today they looked incapable of playing at this level.
Moaning yes, because we were dreadful today. Come on Brown, come on here and explain the tactics for todays match.:smile:

Spoons....were you in the waiting list awaiting our tickets outside? If so, nice to put a face to a SZ name

Yes Harry, nice to know who you are too. Had to have a moan after watching that.
What did you think of it?

Sometime I forget that we do have one of the youngest team in the league, I am prepared to give them time until next season to get better, when our experienced players is either injured or suspended, it's shown up yesterday.

Sometime I forget that we do have one of the youngest team in the league, I am prepared to give them time until next season to get better, when our experienced players is either injured or suspended, it's shown up yesterday.

Agree with this. But we went through 3 years of building with PS, then abandoned it start building again with PB. I find this really frustrating. We were pretty but powderpuff yesterday - Wigan Athletic last season. Newport was never going to be an easy place to go, but we should have been set up so we were harder to break down and beat. Sitting a man in front of the back 4 (Leonard?) would be a good place to start. Only hitting teams on the counter is harder than last season as we don't have the same quality up front.

I think this could turn into a long season and at some point we'll be looking for a manager who's proven at operating on a shoe string and gets the most from limited resources. It will be Dave Penney's turn at that point, but why oh why did we let the last man go? I know I need to move on, but in 25 years of supporting this team, it's one of the strangest decisions I've seen.

Agree with this. But we went through 3 years of building with PS, then abandoned it start building again with PB. I find this really frustrating. We were pretty but powderpuff yesterday - Wigan Athletic last season. Newport was never going to be an easy place to go, but we should have been set up so we were harder to break down and beat. Sitting a man in front of the back 4 (Leonard?) would be a good place to start. Only hitting teams on the counter is harder than last season as we don't have the same quality up front.

I think this could turn into a long season and at some point we'll be looking for a manager who's proven at operating on a shoe string and gets the most from limited resources. It will be Dave Penney's turn at that point, but why oh why did we let the last man go? I know I need to move on, but in 25 years of supporting this team, it's one of the strangest decisions I've seen.

I personally think that we need to give Brown this year to build his team and get how he wants to play across to the players. At least 3 transfer windows will give him the time he needs to bring in enough players, even though we are under a transfer embargo. Then next season we can challenge for promotion with a squad which has Brown is happy with and a squad which knows exactly how they are meant to be playing.

Sturrock had a promotion budget for 3 years and didn't achieve promotion (all be it v unlucky in 2nd season). To me that's no shock he was given the boot. The guy before him smashed that on a smaller budget in 1 season. Letting him go was far poorer decision for me.

Any manager who is at the club is drastically up against it while Ron is at the helm. That's the root of all our problems.

Sturrock had a promotion budget for 3 years and didn't achieve promotion (all be it v unlucky in 2nd season). To me that's no shock he was given the boot. The guy before him smashed that on a smaller budget in 1 season. Letting him go was far poorer decision for me.

Any manager who is at the club is drastically up against it while Ron is at the helm. That's the root of all our problems.

You also have to remember how rubbish we were at home last season and that won't affects the crowd numbers, which in turns affects income.

This wasn't down to playing badly or having an off day either, as I felt in a lot of games the opposition wanted it more than us (those 3 home games against teams struggling at the bottom come to mind), which shouldn't happen and that to me was when Sturrock had to go

Every time SUFC have a new manager then we have to remember he will build a team he believes will help him reach his goals , so therefore we have to remember also that we as fans are going to have to go through the rebuilding phase with the club .But hopefully this time we will achieve our goals of getting out of this league , i reiterate it will be next season not this .

Every time SUFC have a new manager then we have to remember he will build a team he believes will help him reach his goals , so therefore we have to remember also that we as fans are going to have to go through the rebuilding phase with the club .But hopefully this time we will achieve our goals of getting out of this league , i reiterate it will be next season not this .

Did brown not have a clean slate at the end of the season to bring in his own players? The flip side is that he is working under an embargo and until that ends which is highly unlikely at the moment promotion is unrealistic.

No manager gets a year to build a team anymore unless its like Sturrocks first year when he had to fill an entire squad.

Results are needed immediately and as Tommy says above Brown had a longer run up to this season than most would get.

He is here to get us promoted this year, not next.

Lets say we do finish 12th, what exactly has been achieved that he would then be able to aim at promotion next season?

Top 7 will be the minimum target, embargo or no embargo.

Brown was brought in early ,to gain promotion this season .However nobody told him how Uncle Ron works:scared:

Ron said that Brown was bought in early so the team would HIT THE GROUND RUNNING this season .

Some of our football this season has been a pleasure to watch: And there were few times I thought that of our play last season even when we were getting results. The squad is too small; it has too many players who get injuries & those are the important players too. The lack of any cup involvement might mean less games and give us a chance to make it into the play offs BUT no cup money does mean the budget will be tighter. If we could play week in week out with the same squad and just change the line up when it needs tweaking we would have a good side but..........

Back