• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Tonight's referee is the shaven-headed 41 year old, Darren Drysdale from Lincolnshire. A sergeant in the RAF, on the human resources side, he began refereeing in 1988, officiating in the Northern Alliance and Northern Premier League, became an assistant referee for the Football League in 1996, and in1997 progressed to being a Conference North referee. In 1998 he was appointed as an assistant referee for the Premier League, and two years later was given the honour of being an assistant referee to Graham Poll in the 2000 FA Cup Final, he also became a FIFA assistant referee in the same year. In 2002, he became a UEFA assistant referee, one of only three from the UK at the time. He was appointed to the Football League List of referees in 2004.

He attracted some media attention in 2007 after Bradford City's Dean Windass received a five-match ban for swearing at him in the car park after a home game against Brentford.

He was dropped from the list a couple of years later and is now in his second spell as a League referee. Apparently he drives a top of the range Bentley with personalised number plates.

We have seen little of him over his 9 years; just five matches.

Most recently the Cup replay at Brentford, when he (and Smith) did rather well. One caution for Prosser.

Before that was the 3-2 away win last season at Bristol Rovers when any criticism would have centred on a slightly soft penalty. He sent off one of theirs and booked Tomlin and Phillips. Before that he brought the curtain down on the season before with the home play-off match against Crewe which, of course, we drew 2-2. Four cautions - one for us (the badly-missed Grant) and 3 for them including a controversial one for simulation.

Previously, it was a 3-2 home defeat by Coventry in 2006/7 (2 yellows apiece) and the 2-1 win at Port Vale the following season when Macca got the winner (we shaded the yellows 3-2).

Card count is around or slightly above average this season with 4 reds and 36 yellows from 11 games.

Assistants are Paul Harris from Maidstone, Kent (hope he does better than the last Kentish lino) and Jake Hillier from Barnet with the short, bald John Magill from Colchester holding up the numbers board as high as he can.

When he blew the whistle after the Brentford game last season he didn't wait to meet up with his Assistants in the middle (as per the norm) but he immediately made a beeline towards Paul Smith to shake his hand. Never seen that before; but it showed how well Smith had done when even the Ref wanted to give him a pat on the back.

When he blew the whistle after the Brentford game last season he didn't wait to meet up with his Assistants in the middle (as per the norm) but he immediately made a beeline towards Paul Smith to shake his hand. Never seen that before; but it showed how well Smith had done when even the Ref wanted to give him a pat on the back.

I noticed the same. IIRC, he's actually a decent ref.

Watch him have a shocker now I've said that.

Tonight's referee is the shaven-headed 41 year old, Darren Drysdale from Lincolnshire. A sergeant in the RAF, on the human resources side, he began refereeing in 1988, officiating in the Northern Alliance and Northern Premier League, became an assistant referee for the Football League in 1996, and in1997 progressed to being a Conference North referee. In 1998 he was appointed as an assistant referee for the Premier League, and two years later was given the honour of being an assistant referee to Graham Poll in the 2000 FA Cup Final, he also became a FIFA assistant referee in the same year. In 2002, he became a UEFA assistant referee, one of only three from the UK at the time. He was appointed to the Football League List of referees in 2004.

He attracted some media attention in 2007 after Bradford City's Dean Windass received a five-match ban for swearing at him in the car park after a home game against Brentford.

He was dropped from the list a couple of years later and is now in his second spell as a League referee. Apparently he drives a top of the range Bentley with personalised number plates.

We have seen little of him over his 9 years; just five matches.

Most recently the Cup replay at Brentford, when he (and Smith) did rather well. One caution for Prosser.

Before that was the 3-2 away win last season at Bristol Rovers when any criticism would have centred on a slightly soft penalty. He sent off one of theirs and booked Tomlin and Phillips. Before that he brought the curtain down on the season before with the home play-off match against Crewe which, of course, we drew 2-2. Four cautions - one for us (the badly-missed Grant) and 3 for them including a controversial one for simulation.

Previously, it was a 3-2 home defeat by Coventry in 2006/7 (2 yellows apiece) and the 2-1 win at Port Vale the following season when Macca got the winner (we shaded the yellows 3-2).

Card count is around or slightly above average this season with 4 reds and 36 yellows from 11 games.

Assistants are Paul Harris from Maidstone, Kent (hope he does better than the last Kentish lino) and Jake Hillier from Barnet with the short, bald John Magill from Colchester holding up the numbers board as high as he can.

I can't think of any circumstances at all where this gentlemen would get any stick.............:whistling:

A much better referee than we normally get; and probably got the cards right-ish. Everyone around me thought their first was a definite red but at the time I wasnt so sure. He definitely caught Prosser and the thud was sickening which I dont think helped. TV showed it as clumsy but perhaps not intent. I've seen plenty of yellows for these in past. Cliffords by letter of law (and probabilities) probably a red but again you see much worse go unpunished in games. At the time I felt Andrew lunged in as well and had he not got injured may also have been in trouble. Ref was perfectly placed and could see Clifford go in over the top of ball. The final one was just plain daft. Somewhat harsh yet understandable as a yellow card and summed up Mansfields night.

The ref had control of a difficult game and its very unlike me to applaud a referee but apart from missing a spat of definite pushes in the second half he did a good job of officiating.

As for Clifford, at 1 up and against ten men he should be thinking twice about blood and thunder. We could have had a hatful if he hadnt been so rash.

Cliffords by letter of law (and probabilities) probably a red but again you see much worse go unpunished in games. At the time I felt Andrew lunged in as well and had he not got injured may also have been in trouble. Ref was perfectly placed and could see Clifford go in over the top of ball

Agree on that was a tackle a little while earlier he was obviously going to be 2nd to the ball but threw himself at it. Said to people around me lucky that as would have been a red if he had connected, so obviously he is going for it but needs to cool down a little

Thought ref had a good game

Full marks for whoever cobbled together the random military display on finding out the ref was an armed forces man, as it seemed to work!

Back