• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mrsblue

Banned
Congratulations to Cauley for his first league goal hopefully with plenty more to come.

Secondly,

Phil Brown has done a magnificent job at the club,Phil has one hand tied to his back yet has produced a fast flowing play it on the floor team who now must be genuine play off hopefuls or even automatic contenders.

PB has won me over with his brand of football,My only doubt can the club retain him when other clubs come calling.

Congratulations to Cauley for his first league goal hopefully with plenty more to come.

Secondly,

Phil Brown has done a magnificent job at the club,Phil has one hand tied to his back yet has produced a fast flowing play it on the floor team who now must be genuine play off hopefuls or even automatic contenders.

PB has won me over with his brand of football,My only doubt can the club retain him when other clubs come calling.

On the point of retaining mr brown I feel too many people have the same pre judgemental opinions as many on here when he arrived so we may well keep him.

I've said this before , but think Mr Browns future is linked to ours.
Get us promoted and he may well get the offers higher up that he probably seeks ( and why shouldn't he have ambition ).
Fail here and I don't think anyone will come knocking.

I was a huge Sturrock fan and very sceptical of Browns appointment , but I have to say that the style of football we are now playing is way above what I've watched in the past 3 years.

Well done Mr B

I've said this before , but think Mr Browns future is linked to ours.
Get us promoted and he may well get the offers higher up that he probably seeks ( and why shouldn't he have ambition ).
Fail here and I don't think anyone will come knocking.

I was a huge Sturrock fan and very sceptical of Browns appointment , but I have to say that the style of football we are now playing is way above what I've watched in the past 3 years.

Well done Mr B

Completely agree, he needs us as much as we need him I would say at this time. Okay he has modified a team he inherited, but he has tweaked and changed the style to please fans and possibly the players too; complimenting this with a few handy signings!

People were slating him a month or so ago.

As with anything its a results business and we are at this time looking very good and could be in the top 3 next weekend.

We need to be consistent though, when we have that then Brown will deserve all the accolades.

Still dont buy this hands tied business, we have a pretty strong squad and looking around the division Im not seeing plenty of affluent clubs splashing cash. Of course things are tough here, but thats not unusual at this level.

People were slating him a month or so ago.

As with anything its a results business and we are at this time looking very good and could be in the top 3 next weekend.

We need to be consistent though, when we have that then Brown will deserve all the accolades.

Still dont buy this hands tied business, we have a pretty strong squad and looking around the division Im not seeing plenty of affluent clubs splashing cash. Of course things are tough here, but thats not unusual at this level.

I think you are right and wrong. I agree the tied hands business would have been a concern had we not got the squad we have and its ability at this level but what manager would not have liked one or two more options than we have had. There have been games when there has not been the greatest selection of options on the bench and a couple of inconsistent games where maybe an alternative player option may have helped freshen things up.

But all in all, the embargo may be an advantage at the moment as with fewer choices there are fewer changes and that is the key that will bring better consistency.

Just a thought...maybe the 'hands tied' scenario has actually led to a real focus on the players that we needed and then bought in. A more gun ho approach to recruitment may have led to a very different squad and results

I think you are right and wrong. I agree the tied hands business would have been a concern had we not got the squad we have and its ability at this level but what manager would not have liked one or two more options than we have had. There have been games when there has not been the greatest selection of options on the bench and a couple of inconsistent games where maybe an alternative player option may have helped freshen things up.

But all in all, the embargo may be an advantage at the moment as with fewer choices there are fewer changes and that is the key that will bring better consistency.

Every manager in the league will no doubt want more than he has right now.

Thats not to say Brown isnt operating under restrictions, he obviously is, but its not unusual for a league two club to be resticted, whether its enforced by embargo or simple lack of finances.

Doesn't that just mean that we never recover when conceding first?

We did after 'gingers' goal for Bristol Rovers.......albeit, just for a point. Have to echo dannypav's comments, I also was a strong Luggy supporter and hugely sceptical about PB's appointment. I have been surprised and delighted at what he has achieved so far this season. The results now appear to be following the more attractive style of football............really looking forward to coming back for York and Portsmouth.........there again, we all know Southend United!!! :unsure:
All our managers, under RM, have their cross to bear and PB is no different; I don't know the longest period of time any Southend manager has suffered an embargo, but this one seems to be pretty long and without sign of ending. For all the accolades that PB deserves, there is no hiding the fact that continued success will rely on that element of luck that eluded Paul Sturrock last season. With pitches getting heavier and harder we need the luck to avoid injuries and suspensions. Let's not delude ourselves, with the loss of two or three key players , the thinness of our squad will quickly become apparent. This warning was clearly stated a few weeks ago by Phil Brown, talking about the inconsistency of the team at that time. A few wins does wonders for covering over the cracks buts that's all it does......for the time being let's hope we stay lucky. Talking about injuries, is there any news on when Bennett is likely to return to training....he's been out three months now.

We did after 'gingers' goal for Bristol Rovers.......albeit, just for a point. Have to echo dannypav's comments, I also was a strong Luggy supporter and hugely sceptical about PB's appointment. I have been surprised and delighted at what he has achieved so far this season. The results now appear to be following the more attractive style of football............really looking forward to coming back for York and Portsmouth.........there again, we all know Southend United!!! :unsure:
All our managers, under RM, have their cross to bear and PB is no different; I don't know the longest period of time any Southend manager has suffered an embargo, but this one seems to be pretty long and without sign of ending. For all the accolades that PB deserves, there is no hiding the fact that continued success will rely on that element of luck that eluded Paul Sturrock last season. With pitches getting heavier and harder we need the luck to avoid injuries and suspensions. Let's not delude ourselves, with the loss of two or three key players , the thinness of our squad will quickly become apparent. This warning was clearly stated a few weeks ago by Phil Brown, talking about the inconsistency of the team at that time. A few wins does wonders for covering over the cracks buts that's all it does......for the time being let's hope we stay lucky. Talking about injuries, is there any news on when Bennett is likely to return to training....he's been out three months now.

This,

Small squad with no reserve team will feature at some stage.

Ligament damage in his knee, will be out for at least a couple more months.

Back