• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How the crowd used to love to encourage the drum major to hurl his baton high in the air and fail to
catch it on the way down. Cue for mass hystercs.

The old man with the flat cap who (in the mid 70's) walked round the pitch edge yelling 'programme, programme'.

Still got my league ladders , tried to make my own new additions over the years, but got harder as so many teams went up and down. Even tried repairing some of my early Subbuteo men, top scorers with no heads and others that lost half a body in what must have been a terrible accident, or goalkeepers with naff bent wires and no arms!! Somehow as if by magic Southend still always beat Man U or Benfica when I played on my own or invited younger neighbours round for a thrashing

Dont they put you on a register for that these days.

Between '62 and '65 I was a student at the wonderful prefabricated building in Dowsett Avenue, that housed Southend Art School. During that time I attended evening classes and some, unfortunately, clashed with the Blues games. It was, however, possible to run down to Roots Hall at the end of the course and they used to open the large gates to the South (north) banks, about ten minutes before the end. I distinctly remember arriving like that one evening for a game against Norwich City and had to squeeze in the top corner of a packed South stand.
Wonderful story...............unfortunately, I've just checked and it doesn't add up! :stunned: My memory is obviously playing tricks on me because the last time we played Norwich City, before the nineties, was 1659-60 and that's pre-art school days. I'm SURE I only saw the last ten minutes, I'm pretty sure it was Norwich City.....the 5-2 win in '57-'58 rings a bell? Was it a night match or was it mid-winter and consequently dark at 4.30???? Can anyone help me out?..........a rather confused bear.

Wonderful story...............unfortunately, I've just checked and it doesn't add up! :stunned: My memory is obviously playing tricks on me because the last time we played Norwich City, before the nineties, was 1659-60 and that's pre-art school days. I'm SURE I only saw the last ten minutes, I'm pretty sure it was Norwich City.....the 5-2 win in '57-'58 rings a bell? Was it a night match or was it mid-winter and consequently dark at 4.30???? Can anyone help me out?..........a rather confused bear.

I'd have thought that was seriously pre-anything or anyone on here Yogi! :stunned:

Between '62 and '65 I was a student at the wonderful prefabricated building in Dowsett Avenue, that housed Southend Art School. During that time I attended evening classes and some, unfortunately, clashed with the Blues games. It was, however, possible to run down to Roots Hall at the end of the course and they used to open the large gates to the South (north) banks, about ten minutes before the end. I distinctly remember arriving like that one evening for a game against Norwich City and had to squeeze in the top corner of a packed South stand.
The Norwich match was the first home match in 1957-58 winning 5-2 it was played on a Wednesday night, we had played at Exeter on the previous Saturday our first match of the season winning 5-0, after the Norwich match we beat Q.P.R. by 6-0 so we started the season played 3 won 3 scored 16-2. Going back to your evening class between 62-65 we did however play Norwich on 16th.August 1965(Monday night) in a friendly score I think it was 2-2 but not 100% sure.

The Norwich match was the first home match in 1957-58 winning 5-2 it was played on a Wednesday night, we had played at Exeter on the previous Saturday our first match of the season winning 5-0, after the Norwich match we beat Q.P.R. by 6-0 so we started the season played 3 won 3 scored 16-2. Going back to your evening class between 62-65 we did however play Norwich on 16th.August 1965(Monday night) in a friendly score I think it was 2-2 but not 100% sure.

Thanks very much for that.........senility is still a little way away! :smile: I reckon it was 5-2 match I saw the end of and it fits in with a night game. The friendly was probably after I had left college and anyway, wasn't in term time. Nor can I believe that there would have been a crowded stadium (15000?) for a friendly match. The only thing that remains a mystery, is why, at eleven years of age and living in Thorpe Bay at the time, would I have turned up for the end of an evening match???..........strange! Perhaps it was in 1965 after all! God knows

Could write reams on this but agree John Webster was a star. The steam radio plus the late paper were essential. Living in Rayleigh I remember cycling to newsagent at end of The Chase to get evening paper weekdays to see if we had made any signings. About three times a year my trip was rewarded. Saw Kevin Baron on the 251 bus in Rayleigh.
Unimaginable to see a player on a bus now.
I bunked of school one afternoon in 1969 with 2 friends as we walked past a bus stop just round the corner to the Belfairs School a bus pulled up and our geography teacher and Southend goalkeeper Trevor Roberts got off he looked at us but he never reported us Top Man was Trevor .

And big gates at reserve games when Arsenal and Spurs were in town.

I used to go to some of the Reserve games, and one i remember was against QPR in 1969 (i think). Unbeknown to me, it was Rodney Marsh's comeback game after a lengthy injury spell.
There was a crowd of over 2,000, 2/3rds of them Rangers fans who had come to see their 'idol' on his return. All game the chant of 'Roddd-neeee' sounded from the North Bank. Needless to say, he scored and they won 1-0.

Back