• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tories also responsible for.....

steveo

mine to stay the same please
UK unemployment rate drops to 7.1%

IMF increases UK growth forecast

Britain's car industry is booming

I was hoping to post guardian links but they don't seem to report any good news.

Let's face it, the positive growth forecast news. is mainly based on (what will probably turn out to be), an increased (and short lived) consumer consumption and housing purchase boom and not on any increase in real earnings or investment led growth.

Meanwhile, the decrease in unemployment figures-welcome as they are- actually show an increase in the long term unemployed, (defined as those in unemployment for two years or more),no significant decrease in youth unemployment and curiously, an increase in those employed by central and local Government,in an era where the Coalition is supposed to be cutting costs in precisely these areas!

Btw,here's the Guardian's take on that eye-catching 7.1 unemployment figure.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jan/22/uk-unemployment-rate-forward-guidance-rate-rise

Last edited:
Let's face it, the positive growth forecast news. is mainly based on (what will probably turn out to be), an increased (and short lived) consumer consumption and housing purchase boom and not on any increase in real earnings or investment led growth.

Meanwhile, the decrease in unemployment figures-welcome as they are- actually show an increase in the long term unemployed, (defined as those in unemployment for two years or more),no significant decrease in youth unemployment and curiously, an increase in those employed by central and local Government,in an era where the Coalition is supposed to be cutting costs in precisely these areas!

Btw,here's the Guardian's take on that eye-catching 7.1 unemployment figure.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jan/22/uk-unemployment-rate-forward-guidance-rate-rise

Some people seem to punch the air with joy at bad news about the UK - ever think about saying something positive? I think this was what Steveo was trying to get at and he certainly has a point.

I guess a section of Labour voters who want more bull**** public sector jobs, more free handouts and more freeloaders coming into the country will be out in force at the next election so that they can have another crack at ****ing everything up....

PM's questions is comedy gold watching Ed and Ed squirm as Dave Cam delivers knock out blow after another.

UK unemployment rate drops to 7.1%

IMF increases UK growth forecast

Britain's car industry is booming

I was hoping to post guardian links but they don't seem to report any good news.

Of course this good news is all down to the Tories, and has nothing to do with this:

BBC

Of course this good news is all down to the Tories, and has nothing to do with this:

BBC

You mean in a similar way to when Gordon was in power that everything that went wrong was not his fault but all down to the worldwide financial crisis.

You mean in a similar way to when Gordon was in power that everything that went wrong was not his fault but all down to the worldwide financial crisis.

No. I mean in a similar way to how during the worst recession this country has ever experienced we were told it was due to the European recession.

Also, don't let facts get in the way of a good story. The country had actually entered growth before the Tories took over, or had you "forgotten" that? It's taken the tories 4 years (?) to get us back where we were, and now they're claiming it as their victory, regardless of previous assertions.

You couldn't make it up.

Also, don't let facts get in the way of a good story. The country had actually entered growth before the Tories took over, or had you "forgotten" that? It's taken the tories 4 years (?) to get us back where we were, and now they're claiming it as their victory, regardless of previous assertions.

You couldn't make it up.

Back where we were in what particularly? I don't think we will be back were we were in terms of gold reserves, but car production seems to be pretty good: http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/uk-car-production-hits-six-year-high

No. I mean in a similar way to how during the worst recession this country has ever experienced we were told it was due to the European recession.

Yep, and didn't Labour make a good job of putting austerity measures in place when the recession was happening? About as austere as Jim Davidson walking into a bookies with a credit card.

Not sure about this either. Growth alone wasn't going to save us from the perilous pits of debt that the country was hurtling to....remember this?

images

That would have been going on in Westminster had the Tories not come into power and made the necessary cuts.

You couldn't make it up.
Looks like we agree on something. Reading some lefty views on here at times, I feel exactly the same.

I think a lot of you have totally missed the point of this thread. (Applecatcher, Barna, londonblue)

The point Stevo was making is that the Tories are doing a half decent job in power. There are casualties to income (me included), and there have been negative impacts in other areas. That's kind of the point of politics, who is going to get it "spot on"? Not a politician, thats for sure! Even Mother Teresa would struggle to please everyone (more so now that she's dead!) as PM.

Some on here are left wing, some are right wing. It doesn't help when one person (barna) comes on here on an almost daily basis linking folks to Guardian propaganda like it's the gospel. I think Stevo was trying to bring a bit of balance to the constant stream of sh*t stirring that Barna generates daily.

Some people seem to punch the air with joy at bad news about the UK - ever think about saying something positive? I think this was what Steveo was trying to get at and he certainly has a point.

I guess a section of Labour voters who want more bull**** public sector jobs, more free handouts and more freeloaders coming into the country will be out in force at the next election so that they can have another crack at ****ing everything up....
If it is just good news most will just be happy about that, if it is present as the Tories' good news then it will be analysed a bit closer - such as the fact youth unemployment is at an all time high and that long term unemployment is uneffected by the reduction and that this is a reduction only on the other periods of this government - it is still higher than when they came into government. A more accurates headline would be 'Unemployment under the Tories is lower than at other times under the Tories'.
Borrowing as a % of GDP is up so that good news is only good from certain angles.

Some of you on here are missing the point. We're told the recession was of Europe's making, but the growth has nothing to do with growth in Europe. You can't have it both ways.

Some of you on here are missing the point. We're told the recession was of Europe's making, but the growth has nothing to do with growth in Europe. You can't have it both ways.
But wasn't this the same principle Gordon Brown always used. Anything that went wrong was nothing to do with him but was down to the worldwide slump.
Do you think if he had still been in power there would have been any progress? I don't, because he would have been scared to take harsh measures and make any cuts at all but just continued down the route which wasn't work. But we wont ever know that.

But wasn't this the same principle Gordon Brown always used. Anything that went wrong was nothing to do with him but was down to the worldwide slump.
Do you think if he had still been in power there would have been any progress? I don't, because he would have been scared to take harsh measures and make any cuts at all but just continued down the route which wasn't work. But we wont ever know that.

Exactly my point.

The tories said the origin of the recession was because of Brown's policies, and nothing to do with the world financial crisis, i.e. this was a "home-built failure".

The tories then said the recession was worsening on their watch because of Europe, i.e. this was not a "home-built failure".

The tories now say the upturn is all down to them and not Europe, i.e this is a "home built success".

They twist the whole thing to suit themselves. It's about time we all saw through it.

They twist the whole thing to suit themselves. It's about time we all saw through it.

Like Brown did to deflect any blame from him.
Is there a politician or party who doesn't do this?

Exactly my point.
politicians twist the whole thing to suit themselves. It's about time we all saw through it.

Edited for accuracy.

It is worth noting that our growth, relative to Europe, is stronger than most other countries who up to now have been ahead of us. Under Labour, we were floundering as one of the struggling countries yet under this government we are one of the healthier countries.

That's not to say that I disagree with your point that you can trust a politician about as far as you can throw him/her.

Back