• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I can't believe the football associations allow clubs to let it get to the state it's at. How has no one not suddenly realised '**** this is getting a bit silly now' and started to do something!

Probably because it's got nothing to do with them? Football clubs are businesses and businesses are free to act operationally how they see fit. If that means securing a key asset/KPI down to a long-term deal, then I doubt the United hierachy are going to lose much sleep in shifting Rooney an extra £100,000 a week on top of what he already earns.

From a business perspective it makes good sense. It's always more expensive to hire someone new than it is to secure an existing employee to a longer contract. Rooney's rumoured to be earning an extra £100,000 a week. Let's say that deal's for four years, so they're going to be paying him an extra £20.8m. Try finding a forward of Rooney's quality for that sum in today's market.

Sort of related. How dare Adnan spend only £18 on a meal! That poor gold-digger- I mean, errr ..... that poor woman. How dare he not turn up in a Ferrari and take her too a fancy restaurant that costs most of us a year's salary.

Be--LdaIcAAjwCv.jpg:large

This is brilliant

How refreshing it would be if the prem superstars instead of demanding bucket loads of cash announced they were insisting on a massive decrease in salary so hard pressed fans can buy cheaper tickets:stunned:

How refreshing it would be if the prem superstars instead of demanding bucket loads of cash announced they were insisting on a massive decrease in salary so hard pressed fans can buy cheaper tickets:stunned:

No one on earth would insist on having their salary massively decreased, who would turn down around £1-2m a year and insist on less?

Why on Earth should they? Honestly I wonder what planet some people on here live on at times.

No one on earth would insist on having their salary massively decreased, who would turn down around £1-2m a year and insist on less?

Rooney has apart from his salary other stuff such as boot deals,image rights,signing on fees,Probably on 10 million maybe more per year.

Rooney has apart from his salary other stuff such as boot deals,image rights,signing on fees,Probably on 10 million maybe more per year.

Image rights are usually held by the club. Signing on fees are in the contract too and if you are insisting on a massive wage reduction, surely asking for a bigger signing on fee will just remove any possible savings. You've managed to name 1 player who has income outside of his salary from group of 500+ footballers, with that same player earning around 8-9 times more than the average.

Rooney was named 16th richest British sportsman in 2012 with a handy fortune of £45,000,000 so this figure must now be 65 mill? Most banks would offer him 5% or 60k per week,Him and his family and friends will never spend it so as far as I see it if he reduced his salary he would become an even bigger hero to his fans.

Guys how refreshing would it be for Tom Hanks to do a couple of films for $20,000 instead of $20,000,000 so that hard-pressed cinema-goers like myself can go to see Robocop on Sunday without spending our money? That would be awesome.

No it doesn't matter that Tom Hanks is paid for his talent and ability to generate huge amounts of revenue for movie studios and cinemas who then set prices accordingly. He should stop being so damned greedy in asking for his fair share of the money made off of his name and abilities and he should do it for me and the other jealous people who don't have his talent.

Doesn't he know how much nurses earn FFS?

Guys how refreshing would it be for Tom Hanks to do a couple of films for $20,000 instead of $20,000,000 so that hard-pressed cinema-goers like myself can go to see Robocop on Sunday without spending our money? That would be awesome.

No it doesn't matter that Tom Hanks is paid for his talent and ability to generate huge amounts of revenue for movie studios and cinemas who then set prices accordingly. He should stop being so damned greedy in asking for his fair share of the money made off of his name and abilities and he should do it for me and the other jealous people who don't have his talent.

Doesn't he know how much nurses earn FFS?

How many people worldwide will watch his films?,Whilst your cinema ticket will cost under a tenner!Another stupid response from your good self.

Rooney was named 16th richest British sportsman in 2012 with a handy fortune of £45,000,000 so this figure must now be 65 mill? Most banks would offer him 5% or 60k per week,Him and his family and friends will never spend it so as far as I see it if he reduced his salary he would become an even bigger hero to his fans.

Oh, they could. You only have to look at the swathes of professional athletes in the US that have been faced with bankruptcy despite securing huge contracts because of the amount they've spent on family and friends. It's particularly common with NFL players and ESPN made an excellent 30 for 30 documentary on the subject called Broke. You might want to check it out.

Based on what? According to the link below his earnings are £15.6m and doesn't state if it is before or after tax.

He may never spend it all, but he will retire at around 34-35 if he doesn't suffer a serious injury then he has possibly 40+ years to live off that.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ng-top-ten-7866437.html?action=gallery&ino=37

Most fans at Premiership clubs don't care what their players are on and it isn't surprising. If Rooney says he will take £2m less each year, that is barely anything compared to the revenue Man Utd receive and they probably make at least that from Rooney merchandise.

Again, I stated you picked 0.2% of Premiership footballers.

Oh, they could. You only have to look at the swathes of professional athletes in the US that have been faced with bankruptcy despite securing huge contracts because of the amount they've spent on family and friends. It's particularly common with NFL players and ESPN made an excellent 30 for 30 documentary on the subject called Broke. You might want to check it out.

Yes of course if they were all hellbent on spending it.
But,His homes are paid for and more than likely has holiday homes scattered abroad,Exotic cars and the very best furniture and fixtures coupled with every luxury money can buy,If he earns 60 k per week on interest alone what else could he buy not too mention his wife earns a considerable amount,Don't forget he supposedly has a mountain of cash tucked away and probably many investments making him even more money.

I did state it would be refreshing if he did drop his salary but sadly we all know he won't .

How many people worldwide will watch his films?,Whilst your cinema ticket will cost under a tenner!Another stupid response from your good self.

You haven't been to an Irish cinema in a while. It'll be double that.

Ok, let's try again. If Wayne Rooney plays for free what impact do you honestly think that will have on the price of a ticket at Manchester United?

In my opinion it would have zero impact on a ticket at Manchester United. Football clubs at that level could afford to let everyone in for free. They could charge a tenner a ticket like a lot of German topflight clubs do. They choose not to, not because they have to cover the wages of their top players but because they're huge Corporate machines looking to make money in a market economy. They set a price that people will pay. And people do pay it.

Top footballers are handsomely paid because top footballers bring in a huge amount of money for football clubs. That is not the fault of the footballer and they shouldn't be vilified for wanting their share of the money generated on the back of their name and their talent.

Wayne Rooney hasn't forced Manchester United to pay him a certain amount a week. They could easily choose to not pay it. They choose to pay him that because they know that he earns them much more than that.

Based on what? According to the link below his earnings are £15.6m and doesn't state if it is before or after tax.

He may never spend it all, but he will retire at around 34-35 if he doesn't suffer a serious injury then he has possibly 40+ years to live off that.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ng-top-ten-7866437.html?action=gallery&ino=37

Most fans at Premiership clubs don't care what their players are on and it isn't surprising. If Rooney says he will take £2m less each year, that is barely anything compared to the revenue Man Utd receive and they probably make at least that from Rooney merchandise.

Again, I stated you picked 0.2% of Premiership footballers.

The question was Rooney's reported 300k per week so I commented on his salary,Where did you get 0.2% from?Obviously not many earn that much but there are still plenty on 100k or even higher currently in the prem.

In my opinion it would have zero impact on a ticket at Manchester United.

Nail on head! Simply supply and demand. If a football club has a 75,000 seater stadium and can charge £XX per ticket and it virtually sells out every game, why reduce the ticket price?

The question was Rooney's reported 300k per week so I commented on his salary,Where did you get 0.2% from?Obviously not many earn that much but there are still plenty on 100k or even higher currently in the prem.

20 Prem clubs have to submit a squad of 25 players, 500 in total. Rooney is 1 of that so that makes 0.2%.

There might be plenty on a big amount of money, but the average is still around £30k per week.

Back