• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsblue

Banned
I know I will be shot down by many of your good selves but this is now getting ridiculous as our so called forwards draw another blank,They even could not score in the midweek friendly,Phil has to take a gamble on another youngster on loan who has more success than the Fulham boy.The lack of goals up front will cost us in the end as we cannot expect the midfield or defenders to out score the opposition.

Big question is, do we agree to play this unknown and unproven youngster in every game?

think a change in formation is more called for.

No idea why he has changed back to 4-4-2. Our main success has been on the 3 midfield of Leonard, Atkinson and Timlin controlling the game and he has taken that out.

If he has changed it to suit the 2 strikers, it is pretty pointless if we don't win the midfield battle and give the strikers anything to go on.

Even in the friendly against West Ham it sounded like he played 3 in midfield with Payne in front of them and playing behind the 2 strikers. I'd prefer that to 4-4-2.

Today Brown got it wrong.

Corr 2 in 13
Eastwood 0 in 13
Barnard 0 in 9

I don't know much about football but those ratio's are terrible.

Well we had Woody who never looked like scoring. We have Freddy who has weeks off after an injury and is almost ready to retire because of his knees. We have Corr who really needs a break, and needs to get in the penalty box more. Lee Barnard I am hopeful for. He clearly needs time on the pitch to get match fit and sharp. I think barring injuries, he will come good.
But yes, we clearly need a fresh good striker.

Might help if we didnt play with 10 men for half an hour too.

Whilst theres obviously merit in questioning the strike rate of Corr, Barnard has hardly played and Eastwood has been injured yet still scored 5.

Its also very scapegoatish to concentrate on that for our woes.

Why arent we blaming Bentley for the loss ? He let in two goals didnt he? Must be his fault?

Or is there a bigger picture ? If Bentley concedes are we defending as a team? If strikers dont score it could be because a) they are are playing as a lone striker which means they spend more time with back to goal, or b) they arent getting the service.

When the strikers are getting lots of chances and missing them thats the time to hang them out to dry.

Might help if we didnt play with 10 men for half an hour too.

Whilst theres obviously merit in questioning the strike rate of Corr, Barnard has hardly played and Eastwood has been injured yet still scored 5.

Its also very scapegoatish to concentrate on that for our woes.

Why arent we blaming Bentley for the loss ? He let in two goals didnt he? Must be his fault?

Or is there a bigger picture ? If Bentley concedes are we defending as a team? If strikers dont score it could be because a) they are are playing as a lone striker which means they spend more time with back to goal, or b) they arent getting the service.

When the strikers are getting lots of chances and missing them thats the time to hang them out to dry.

Corr's entire career he has struggled to score league goals apart from 1 season!By your thinking it must of been the fault of the current team,past Southend teams and all of the other clubs he has played for.

Eastwoods career since he first left here has gone downhill ever since,Dogged by injury and yes he did score five early season but how many more excuses can he be given.

Barnard had one good season after he left us then his career has nosedived.

The plain facts are these 3 are all looking down the barrel and one of them has to start scoring or any ideas of going up will be squandered .

Wrong set up today. Should have started with Fred and Barney and then use Corr in the 2nd half when their defence was worn down a bit. What was the point in the West Ham game if it wasn't with a view to changing midfield? That is where the problem is if you ask me, not enough link up or service with/to the forwards. It's been the same for a while.

To me the simple and main cause of our failure to win games is that we aren't coping so well with wet muddy pitches on very windy days (Torquay, Newport, and now Mansfield). The same passing quick touch team play won't work in the current conditions. Mainly this is going to affect the midfield and especially wingers. Wrong team out today and I did state before game that I worried for CC getting red in these conditions.

No idea why he has changed back to 4-4-2. Our main success has been on the 3 midfield of Leonard, Atkinson and Timlin controlling the game and he has taken that out.

If he has changed it to suit the 2 strikers, it is pretty pointless if we don't win the midfield battle and give the strikers anything to go on.

Even in the friendly against West Ham it sounded like he played 3 in midfield with Payne in front of them and playing behind the 2 strikers. I'd prefer that to 4-4-2.

Today Brown got it wrong.

Totally agree with this. It has to be 4-3-3 from here on. He shouldn't feel under any pressure to accommodate Barnard or Eastwood if we're doing well with a certain style of play. That's the beauty of competition for places, they should be producing the goods to keep/earn their place.

The pitch today was good enough and Mansfield managed to make good passes. Yes it was blowing a gale but that is the same for both sides. Our problem is the midfield, Timlin looked out of his depth today, hardly made a telling pass all afternoon. Hurst is way off his best game and never caused any problems, constantly wandering into the middle leading to a lack of width for the team. Atkinson was always busy but lacked any telling passes. Leonard worked hard but again failed to control the game for us. It is difficult as Corr, Barnard and Eastwood have no pace whatsoever.
We only started to play when leaving 3 at the back but by that time the game was long gone.
Brown talks a good game about freshening things up and then picks the same side who look off the pace. We don't mix our game up either. Straker gives us a threat and should be a regular pick.
Bentley could have done better with the first goal after White had been badly exposed and then for the 2nd Bentley failed to hold the ball, although to be fair he made a great save in the 1st half at 0-0. I thought Phillips and Thompson did well enough. I would be glad to see Clifford never play again, he is a liability, making another rash tackle yet again on the halfway line by the touchline. Gomis or Payne need to come in for Timlin who is neither a holding or attacking midfielder on current form. Corr is not working hard enough for me compared to his performance at Portsmouth, although he was unlucky late on after hitting the goal post. Eastwood looked good but needs balls to his feet and Barnard is looking like yet another player returning to the club to play out his days, although he did flash a shot just past the post.
No best player for Southend today, but the 400+ Southend fans were brilliant in their non stop support.
This season is starting to look like a few of the recent ones where we bring people in and fall away after the Christmas period.
Come on Brown sort them out:unsure:

Wow, spoons, harsh!

Harsh but true Kay, it was not pretty to watch today but I suppose everyone is entitled to a bad day but, I would have liked to have seen Barney & Eastwood start however, I do have to say I don't think Freddy has 90 mins in him anymore.

Barnard better start finding the onion bag soon because this lack of goals could cost us this year ,
I personally would have got someone else really it's a huge gamble

Think it is just a question of getting the formation right, like the idea of Barney & Freddy with Jack Payne playing behind and feeding these two. Neither is blessed with pace, but both have excellent football brains and both know where the back of the net is given the right service.

Just be patient a little longer for Phil Brown to get things right, this team has goals in it, just a question of things clicking together.
Think we need to look more at the back and the fact that without Luke Prosser we always look more unsure, I love Mark Phillips attitude but his lack of finesse can lead him to make the odd mistake and Adam Thompson is full of potential but still young and learning his trade.
Also for those who remember when Barney first joined us back in 2008, it took him a while to start firing, but he will - a good striker never losses that ability to score at whatever level and Barney is a quality striker for this League.
Keep the faith, reckon Exeter next Saturday could be the day things start to gel. :clap:

Barnard better start finding the onion bag soon because this lack of goals could cost us this year ,
I personally would have got someone else really it's a huge gamble
Bringing in anyone is a gamble though,I think Barnard will come good for us.

We need a creator of chances, not another forward. A Ryan Hall would be nice. The number of times Ben Coker had the ball in a wide forward position yesterday and a cross did NOT come in was alarming. Personally I think Hurst is our best bet - he needs freeing up so he can deliver crosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back