• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
Ahoy,

I was out in my motor last night and the engine suddenly went into limp mode with no turbo and the glow plug light started flashing. Restarting the car seems to have resolved the issue and the turbo now kicks in but I would like to get to the bottom of the problem.

On VWs this is a common issue and can be caused by an intermittent problem with the brake switch.

Does anyone know if a local garage will be able to retrieve any error codes from the cars computer? I am loathe to go to VW because
it is £70 just for them to say hello but I am happy to pay a local garage a few quid for 5 mins work.

Go to Inverness Motors, Keith there, the boss, was head mechanic at Skoda Prince Ave, he is top bloke and will plug you motor in and tell you an honest opinion and cost etc.

As an IT professional I'm delighted that rebooting your car resolved the problem.

My Golf started vibrating violently on the way to the Bristol Rovers game the other week, accompanied by various warning lights. I stayed in Brizzle and got it looked at by Kwikfit the next day. They said that there were several sensors triggering the hazard lights but couldn't find which one. I took it in for an MOT (to a VW garage) and they did retrieve the error codes but still couldn't identify the problem. It's stopped, though. It would seem that they charged me to shrug their shoulders. I am becoming a luddite.

Cyril, as you live in Benfleet I would suggest Castle Point Motors on the Manor Trading Estate. I have known him for years and always reconmend him.

Get yourself an OBDll ELM327 Bluetooth ECU code reader diagnostic tool and Torque Pro for Android or iPhone. That will scan and tell you any fault codes stored on the ECU and then Google the results. £14.99p on Amazon and £3.29p on Google Play App Market. I use it all the time for real time diagnostics and information.

Go to Inverness Motors, Keith there, the boss, was head mechanic at Skoda Prince Ave, he is top bloke and will plug you motor in and tell you an honest opinion and cost etc.

I nipped in when I was in town and they ran a diagnostic for me for a score.

Turns out it is a faulty exhaust gas recycling sensor which is not a huge problem to replace.

This has slightly dented my faith in German engineering though.

Get yourself an OBDll ELM327 Bluetooth ECU code reader diagnostic tool and Torque Pro for Android or iPhone. That will scan and tell you any fault codes stored on the ECU and then Google the results. £14.99p on Amazon and £3.29p on Google Play App Market. I use it all the time for real time diagnostics and information.

How do I know if my motor has bluetooth though? I don't think I have seen it mentioned anywhere....

I nipped in when I was in town and they ran a diagnostic for me for a score.

Turns out it is a faulty exhaust gas recycling sensor which is not a huge problem to replace.

This has slightly dented my faith in German engineering though.

I am pleased they could help.
It is a good garage, nothing fancy but they do know their stuff and I trust what they say, mechanics not just fitters of parts.

How do I know if my motor has bluetooth though? I don't think I have seen it mentioned anywhere....

It plugs into the standard OBDll ECU port (where yours is located I don't know, but usually around the under dash area) It has it's own built in Bluetooth transmitter and scans your cars ECU in real time. Torque Pro is a phone app that once paired with the OBDll transmitter gives you all manner of information as well as logging/storing all fault codes so they can be read.

It plugs into the standard OBDll ECU port (where yours is located I don't know, but usually around the under dash area) It has it's own built in Bluetooth transmitter and scans your cars ECU in real time. Torque Pro is a phone app that once paired with the OBDll transmitter gives you all manner of information as well as logging/storing all fault codes so they can be read.

I have ordered a Bluetooth dongle for £8 on Amazon that had good reviews and it will arrive tomorrow. I'll install Torque Pro on my Android tablet and give it a whirl.

Cheers for the advice.

Back