• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BOTB: Lord Of The Rings (Razam) v 1984 (Tangled UIB)

Versus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MK Shrimper

Striker
First one this friday morn...

Remember, we're voting for the book - not the film adaptation(s), nor the poster themselves!

I have read LOTR but it was hard, hard work. 1984 is a seminal piece that looks like it's predicting the future!

I was around in 1984 and it was nothing like the book.

Lord of the Rings easily.

In terms of value for literary money it has to be LOTR for me. So many diverse characters and how could you not love the Ents............hoooom

In terms of value for literary money it has to be LOTR for me. So many diverse characters and how could you not love the Ents............hoooom

I love the Ents and I love Tom Bombadil but 1984 was such a wonderfully visionary book, really struggling on this one.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Presumably stopped on 13 here, but Barna is on the money on 1984 and Catch22.

LotR is good, but 1984 is as OBL says visionary. It would be one of the great books if it was written now, but it is astounding that it was written in 1948.

It would be top of my reading list if people wanted to understand Nazi Germany, Soviet Russia, Fascist Italy and even fairly high on the list for modern Britain.

I love the Ents and I love Tom Bombadil but 1984 was such a wonderfully visionary book, really struggling on this one.

Yeah, wouldn't pay to be too hasty eh? Maybe you should sit in a circle and discuss it with some other OBLs for 48 hours, hoom.

It pains me to endorse anything that Barnaby supports (other than the Mighty Shrimpers of course), but '1984' is a magnificent book, I would probably vote for it over either of the books that I am supporting in this battle.

It pains me to endorse anything that Barnaby supports (other than the Mighty Shrimpers of course), but '1984' is a magnificent book, I would probably vote for it over either of the books that I am supporting in this battle.

I think one of the things that certainly makes it a "magnificent" book, is that people on the left or right of the political spectrum, equally claim it as on their side.

As dreadful as he films are, the LOTR books are amazing. But this has to be 1984 and without checking the vote this can't even be close surely?

Well well, The Hobbits & co fall at the first hurdle. Let's party like it's 1984.....

shoot - due to work issues, I wasn't able to make a pitch for LOTR. But if it has to fall at the first hurdle, at least it was to another great book.

Just for clarification, in a previous battle, it was mentioned that "His Dark Materials" series came third in the BBC Big Read (2003), behind a girly book & Pride & Prejudice at number 1. That was almost true... HDM did come 3rd behind a girly book that was Pride & Prejudice, but number 1 was LOTR! just one of the nnumber of awards it has won internationally. (1984 came 8th)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Read

Back