• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Welly7

Coach
Seems to be a fair bit of negativity surrounding PB at the moment and I'm just wondering where people think we should be as we enter December?

Currently 5th and four points behind the leaders sits fine with me at the moment. There is no obvious stand out team this year and we're right in the mix to go up. I'm quite happy with our league position right now, yet after three straight wins others seemingly aren't.

That's not to say I am ignoring the fact that we are thin in terms of strikers within the squad or the fact that we simply do not score enough goals, that is pretty obvious to everyone. I'm interested why increase in negativity that surrounds Brown...is it the Cup defeat, style of football, lack of goals or a case of people simply not liking him and he can do nothing right?

Yes there are problems and issues for PB to sort out, but it can't be argued that we are not in a strong league position despite our lack of goals, etc. So, just where do we expect us to be at this stage of the season and what exactly has PB done to alienate himself from so many on here?

Great post and I agree with you that I'm happy with the current league position. I suppose the problem is that sides that don't score many goals are going to be easier to get a result against. It's easier to snatch a point against sides like us coz we're not killing games off by getting a second or third goal.

However I think that this league is this year as it is most, pretty even. A lot of clubs take advantage of the loan market to supplement their squads and often 2 or 3 real quality players can have a major effect in a side's form. Think about the difference Egan and Sokolik made at the back end of last year.

This year one of the players that could make a real difference to our side is one of our own, Ben Coker. I think we've really missed him as an outlet on the left. If we could get a half decent striker in too we should be ok

Great post and I agree with you that I'm happy with the current league position. I suppose the problem is that sides that don't score many goals are going to be easier to get a result against. It's easier to snatch a point against sides like us coz we're not killing games off by getting a second or third goal.

However I think that this league is this year as it is most, pretty even. A lot of clubs take advantage of the loan market to supplement their squads and often 2 or 3 real quality players can have a major effect in a side's form. Think about the difference Egan and Sokolik made at the back end of last year.

This year one of the players that could make a real difference to our side is one of our own, Ben Coker. I think we've really missed him as an outlet on the left. If we could get a half decent striker in too we should be ok

Yeah I agree. Coker's been missed and if PB works the loan market well (O'Toole possibly?!) then we might just go one better than last year! As it stands, there is reason for optimism.

Seems to be a fair bit of negativity surrounding PB at the moment and I'm just wondering where people think we should be as we enter December?

Currently 5th and four points behind the leaders sits fine with me at the moment. There is no obvious stand out team this year and we're right in the mix to go up. I'm quite happy with our league position right now, yet after three straight wins others seemingly aren't.

That's not to say I am ignoring the fact that we are thin in terms of strikers within the squad or the fact that we simply do not score enough goals, that is pretty obvious to everyone. I'm interested why increase in negativity that surrounds Brown...is it the Cup defeat, style of football, lack of goals or a case of people simply not liking him and he can do nothing right?

Yes there are problems and issues for PB to sort out, but it can't be argued that we are not in a strong league position despite our lack of goals, etc. So, just where do we expect us to be at this stage of the season and what exactly has PB done to alienate himself from so many on here?
The problem this season is that a run of wins has always been followed by a run of defeats. If this continues we could be 8th/9th by x-mas. I certainly hope that is not the case and would love to go on a little unbeaten run until x-mas to stay right in the mix.

Personally to lose at the first hurdle in all cups is disappointing, league wise I feel that this is a very weak league with no stand out sides to run away with the title and promotion spots - therefore I feel that this is our best chance of promotion for some time, who knows what next year could bring. With that I mind I expect us to be in the top 3 and comfortably so, Brown has been backed this season and I can handle the pretty but negative style as long as it results in promotion. In short, I would say slightly disappointing so far.

Underwhelmed so far. Anything less than promotion this season is failure for me given the size and quality of midfield and squad. Brown has done ok in market but failed to find solution to score goals which is pretty bloody fundamental. That said, we are 5th and right in mix and so no reason to give up yet. I'm not convinced by Brown at all but prepared to bite my tongue while we are winning football matches.

1. With a sense of a plan and a feeling that we were moving in the right direction
2. Still in a cup

Apart from the opening 25 against Stevenage,we have been either dour boring or clueless.

Not really looking forward to Saturday at all,one last try to see if we can be slightly entertaining.

Sorry everybody.

Not really arsed about where we'll be, come end of November, although the present position is OK............it's end of April that counts. With the backing tha PB appears to be getting, nothing less than an automatic place will be acceptable (or promotion by play-offs).
Why are people hesitant about PB's record this season? Questions about team selection.......tactics, hanging on (or rather, TRYING to hang on to) leads..........some curious substitutions. Midfielder obsession.

SEPTEMBER: 6 league games without defeat
OCTOBER: 5 league games without a win
NOVEMBER: 3 league games without defeat

..........shall we say inconsistency?

Some on here will not be happy with Phil Brown even if we remain undefeated for the rest of the season. The more reasonable will, whilst not totally convinced by our performances, be prepared to give him more time to tweek his squad into one that looks not only capable but also likely to be automatic promotion candidates.
Some tough games in December will give us an idea but January will probably define our season........and perhaps PB's future.

Apart from the opening 25 against Stevenage,we have been either dour boring or clueless.

Not really looking forward to Saturday at all,one last try to see if we can be slightly entertaining.

Sorry everybody.
Got to disagree with you there thought we have played some lovely stuff away from home especially at Tranmere. Perhaps its Roots Hall and some negativity thats the problem.

Got to disagree with you there thought we have played some lovely stuff away from home especially at Tranmere. Perhaps its Roots Hall and some negativity thats the problem.

We played some great stuff at York, too.

The reason the home form is different is because sides play differently. There's no expectation away from home and the onus is on the home side to make the running. We are much better as a counter attacking side than one trying to dictate the game.

I no longer go to away games so can only comment on home games.

Apart from us IMO playing negative football I also think home fans get on players backs making the players nervous.I still haven't seen us score more than twice at the Hall under Phil which is bizarre to say the least,I missed those rare games where they managed 3 or the 4 against Millwall,I must be a jinx.

You are correct though.

Personally I think you have misrepresented the majority view. It is not necessarily our position which people are unhappy with, it is is the other factors that others have eloquently put in this post. Plus the fact that as we keep yo yo ing some of us fear that history will repeat itself and we will soon be on a lossing streat which will see our position plummet.

However, answering your stated question , I would be a lot happier with our league position if it was after a run of bad results, rather than a run of good results.

• Allegedly we have one one of the biggest budgets in the league
  • It 'appears' that Phil has been financially backed better this year better than in the last , I don't know how many seasons.
  • Players are being paid on time (so being paid late does not come into any debate)
  • Phil says the squad is the best he has had (fair enough, i expect him to say this every year).
  • Many are saying that there are no stand out teams this year
  • The weather and therefore pitch conditions so far favour our style of play

Add all of the above together and to me we should be in the autos , so although I am 'OK' with our league position I don't think under the above circumstances it is anything to boast about. When people state that x amount of teams would like to change their league positions with us, I would counter how many would also like to have our budget and support.

We need to be in the top 7, thats our minimum. Within touching distance of the automatics should be what we are aiming for so we have a chance that we go up automatically.

Totally disagree we play "negative" football, if we did we wouldnt have more chances than our opposition pretty much every game we played. Im happy enough with the style, its the effectiveness of it in the final third thats the problem. What have is clearly an issue scoring enough goals, that however is more to do with belief and confidence than an intentional plan on Brown's part.

So whilst Im happy with where we are sitting I like most others want to see that we are playing with more self belief and that when we do go 1-0 up at home we are able to carry that through to claim the win, either by scoring or again or controlling the game so the opposition dont then get back in. To feel confident that we can do that will take some time to build though.

ideally with a set of fans who support the team instead of a bunch of moaners who can't wait for things to go wrong so they can say 'told you so, I was right"

We played some great stuff at York, too.

The reason the home form is different is because sides play differently. There's no expectation away from home and the onus is on the home side to make the running. We are much better as a counter attacking side than one trying to dictate the game.

I agree.
I think most L2 ( and some L1 ) teams are better suited to playing away and not having to dictate the games.
If as many feel , the standard of the teams in L2 are pretty similar , it takes a bit less nous to 'spoil' than 'create' and makes it hard for the home side to be creative enough to unlock the defence of the away team.
That is a big generalisation I know , but I think it has some truth.

Back