• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

davewebbsbrain

Webby⭐
So we know Payne gets a years extension to his contract now for playing 10 games. Some say he is being marked out of games now as teams work him out.

Brown says it's a compliment that teams do this and I agree. What this also means is Payne's off the ball runs are going to be marked more closely which will then leave gaps for other players to exploit.

It's no coincidence that since PB listened to the fans, started playing Payne again and used him in a more attacking role, we have won 3 on the bounce. Long may it continue. It's lovely to see the likes of Bentley and Payne break into the first team and mark their mark

Excellent player who IMO within 3 seasons will be playing level 2 at least.

Yes great to see youth system players breaking through, and improving our squad.
I think teams have worked out Payne, and mark him out of the game (maybe too easily) but as you rightly say this will only leave more room for other midfielders to exploit (O'Toole ?)

He is a little too lightweight, and against bigger players (like Northampton's) tends to look like a little lost boy at times, but definately brings something different to the team. Used correctly, and specifically could be the difference to a successful season if he stays the distance.

4 league wins on the trot, payne is sometimes jaw droppingly good, as mentioned above he is being denied space and time to play in. Important for his development that he learns how to deal with this as well as the team using it to bring others into the game, lovely bit of interplay in the 1st half between weston and jack that lead to corr opportunity (blazed over). His size still bothers me slightly, he does get pushed around far too easily at times and in league two there are plenty of physical CMs ready to smash in.

4 league wins on the trot, payne is sometimes jaw droppingly good, as mentioned above he is being denied space and time to play in. Important for his development that he learns how to deal with this as well as the team using it to bring others into the game, lovely bit of interplay in the 1st half between weston and jack that lead to corr opportunity (blazed over). His size still bothers me slightly, he does get pushed around far too easily at times and in league two there are plenty of physical CMs ready to smash in.

He will win plenty of fee kicks that way. Get up to L1 and his skill will shine

I suppose PB told you himself that he listened to the fans and thats the reason he played Payne and not because he was doing well in the reserve team( albeit for a better word) and at training, and earnt his place in the team.Good to know the fans are in charge and picking the team etc, now i know not to gripe at PB when things are going bad , but to gripe at the fans that are picking the team.:nope:

So we know Payne gets a years extension to his contract now for playing 10 games. Some say he is being marked out of games now as teams work him out.

Brown says it's a compliment that teams do this and I agree. What this also means is Payne's off the ball runs are going to be marked more closely which will then leave gaps for other players to exploit.

It's no coincidence that since PB listened to the fans, started playing Payne again and used him in a more attacking role, we have won 3 on the bounce. Long may it continue. It's lovely to see the likes of Bentley and Payne break into the first team and mark their mark

Payne is not the reason we have won 4 games in a row though, he did well last week and he clearly has talent, but its not him winning the games, Worrall is the player who has made the bigger impact in that time.

It is great that he is getting game time and he definitely doesn't look out of place and at times shows some real class and looking forward to seeing him develop further.

He didn't get on the ball very much yesterday, but what I liked was the way he chased and harrassed the cobblers to get it back for us. It was like watching Mr Timlin at times.

He didn't get on the ball very much yesterday, but what I liked was the way he chased and harrassed the cobblers to get it back for us. It was like watching Mr Timlin at times.

Agreed and IMO it will be games like that where he will be tested, not only his technical ability on the ball but his mental strength to not give up and keep trying even when things aren't paying off.

Exactly ! That's how he'll keep his place in the side. There will be games, like that, where he'll be marked tightly. He may need to work hard to justify staying on for 90 mins.

Payne is not the reason we have won 4 games in a row though, he did well last week and he clearly has talent, but its not him winning the games, Worrall is the player who has made the bigger impact in that time.

It is great that he is getting game time and he definitely doesn't look out of place and at times shows some real class and looking forward to seeing him develop further.

I agree 100% JM, for me Worrall has been far and away our most influential player this past month. Payne is improving as a player all the time though and is a key part of what we do going forward. I think the major reason for our upturn in form is the midfield as a whole though, the return of Timlin was a huge boost both in terms of playing ability and leadership. Lenny was really coming back into form before his injury and even Hurst was showing flashes of last season over the past couple of games before Northampton. Bottom line is we have one of the strongest squads at this level, it's up to the management team and the players to get us over the line this time. With our help I'm confident they can do that.

Payne is a class act with a fantastic future ahead of him. Glad PB is finally realising this

I agree 100% JM, for me Worrall has been far and away our most influential player this past month. Payne is improving as a player all the time though and is a key part of what we do going forward. I think the major reason for our upturn in form is the midfield as a whole though, the return of Timlin was a huge boost both in terms of playing ability and leadership. Lenny was really coming back into form before his injury and even Hurst was showing flashes of last season over the past couple of games before Northampton. Bottom line is we have one of the strongest squads at this level, it's up to the management team and the players to get us over the line this time. With our help I'm confident they can do that.

Indeed, Payne has one goal in his last 7 starts, so whilst he has had good games he isn't producing a lot, and that one goal was created by Worrall.

I like Payne and think he is going to be a good player for us and is one of those players you actually want to go and see, I do think however that he is being built up far too much at the moment.

On a day that he didnt do a lot he gets his own thread and Worrall doesn't.

The irony is that Weston who DWB will agree with me was poor for the majority of the game, yet he still created more than Payne did, ie an assist, setting up a clear cut chance that Worrall should have scored and a great effort tipped over. Payne put plenty of effort in yet didn't deliver a lot, that's what I want to see him doing.

Part of this will be him learning and developing, and the other part is we need to get the ball to him more in a manner he can do something with it, ie to his feet in positions he can run and hurt the opposition. The lack of quality in the final third hampers him in that "number 10" role just as much as it has all of the strikers.

Your point about the midfield will hopefully help this, with Timlin back and us not being reliant on Hurst (who hopefully will gain confidence again) I hope that the likes of Payne will benefit more.

Winning breeds confidence and hopefully with a fairly settled line up that we now have hopefully Payne will thrive. In games like Saturday when it was tight and the opposition are hard to break down we certainly need players like him to provide that little bit of magic, he is a magician after all!

Indeed, Payne has one goal in his last 7 starts, so whilst he has had good games he isn't producing a lot, and that one goal was created by Worrall.

I like Payne and think he is going to be a good player for us and is one of those players you actually want to go and see, I do think however that he is being built up far too much at the moment.

On a day that he didnt do a lot he gets his own thread and Worrall doesn't.

The irony is that Weston who DWB will agree with me was poor for the majority of the game, yet he still created more than Payne did, ie an assist, setting up a clear cut chance that Worrall should have scored and a great effort tipped over. Payne put plenty of effort in yet didn't deliver a lot, that's what I want to see him doing.Part of this will be him learning and developing, and the other part is we need to get the ball to him more in a manner he can do something with it, ie to his feet in positions he can run and hurt the opposition. The lack of quality in the final third hampers him in that "number 10" role just as much as it has all of the strikers.

Your point about the midfield will hopefully help this, with Timlin back and us not being reliant on Hurst (who hopefully will gain confidence again) I hope that the likes of Payne will benefit more.

Winning breeds confidence and hopefully with a fairly settled line up that we now have hopefully Payne will thrive. In games like Saturday when it was tight and the opposition are hard to break down we certainly need players like him to provide that little bit of magic, he is a magician after all!

Sometimes, a players work off the ball, like closing down and dummy runs, is as effective as a defence cutting pass. All are very important parts of the game and put them together and you have a team that works well as a unit. Timlin does a lot of his best work off the ball too and his chasing down and nicking the ball from a players feet is legendary

Sometimes, a players work off the ball, like closing down and dummy runs, is as effective as a defence cutting pass. All are very important parts of the game and put them together and you have a team that works well as a unit. Timlin does a lot of his best work off the ball too and his chasing down and nicking the ball from a players feet is legendary

Thats very true and him being in the team will be causing plenty of problems for the opposition Im sure, but people wanted Payne in the team because he scores and creates goals, and he has done very little of either, thats what I want to see him doing more of.

He was meant to be the solution to our low goal rate and that's just not happened (yet)

Not criticising him, he has plenty to offer and I want him to start each game now, but I do think people are building him up far too much at the moment. Even in your original post you imply its down to his introduction that we have gone on this run, when in fact its far easier to make a case for Worrall who not only set up Paynes one goal but scored 3 goals in 4 of the games.

I wonder if Coulthirst had played 7 games and scored one goal in that time if people would be opening postitive threads for him....

Thats very true and him being in the team will be causing plenty of problems for the opposition Im sure, but people wanted Payne in the team because he scores and creates goals, and he has done very little of either, thats what I want to see him doing more of.

He was meant to be the solution to our low goal rate and that's just not happened (yet)

Not criticising him, he has plenty to offer and I want him to start each game now, but I do think people are building him up far too much at the moment. Even in your original post you imply its down to his introduction that we have gone on this run, when in fact its far easier to make a case for Worrall who not only set up Paynes one goal but scored 3 goals in 4 of the games.

I wonder if Coulthirst had played 7 games and scored one goal in that time if people would be opening postitive threads for him....

Jack has scored 5 and is top scorer here and don't forget he is playing far deeper than any forward,He can only do so much.

Jack has scored 5 and is top scorer here and don't forget he is playing far deeper than any forward,He can only do so much.

He is playing no deeper than Coulthirst and Weston were when they were playing as the wide men yet you were happy to criticise them for not scoring. He is sitting just behind Corr in the no. 10 position and is often level or in front of Corr. If big Messi can score from there surely little Messi should be able to.

He has scored 5 and thats great, but only 1 in his last 7 games, whereas Worral who not only plays deeper plays wider and has scored 4 in the same period.

If it were Coulthirst you would be ranting, but because its Payne people want to make excuses and allowances they wouldnt for other players.

Back