• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Holiday thread 2018

Pubey

Thought I'd start a general thread for holiday advice/gloating/general chit chat.

We're planning our summer holiday (first week in July) and first proper holiday with the little'un.

Looking for somewhere self-catering, with decent toddler friendly facilities and not a long flight from Manchester (Spain/Portugal/Balearics probably best). Short transfers would be great too.

An amazing beach isn't crucial as we'll probably spend most of the time by the pool with a couple of days out at the beach. but a nice chilled resort with nice restaurants would be great.

Any tips or advice would be great. Along with general tips for holidaying with an 18 month old!

Croatia. Why not?
Seems a bit pricey. I'd love to go to Dubrovnic but unlikely to be able to do it properly with the little'un. We really want to just chill by the pool during the day and have an early meal before retiring to the balcony to read and have a nightcap.

South of France.

Anywhere in particular you'd recommend? Or is that where you're headed this summer?

Make the most of the school term prices whilst you can.

We are looking at moment, but the kids holidays are a killer, and as my daughter is in senior school have to stick to them now.

Last two years we have been to Florida out of school holidays which cost about £3,500 for travel and accommodation, can barely get a holiday to Spain for that in school term!

Think we will be taking a vacation in the UK this year.

We stayed at the Abama in Tenerife .

If you go out of the school holidays it's not too pricey, and flights can be dirt cheap too. It is, however fantastic. Loads of pools, including an adults only one. It also has a kids' club so you can spend some time by yourselves also, although I think they've changed the ages the kids' club runs for since we went. There is a private beach in an alcove. You can walk, but I would recommend taking the cable car down to it!

It also has about 7 different restaurants, 3 of which have at least one michelin star. It can also arrange baby sitting for you should you want to have a meal by yourselves.

The spa there is pretty good too. There is a snow room in there, where it actually snows! (It's really just a huge walk in freezer, but it is amazing!)

Is that the one that looks like a big pink Castle? We drive past that every year on our way to Los Gigantes and I keep meaning to look it up on tripadvisor. Sounds lovely but I bet its a bit pricey.

Edit - sorry, meant to quote londonblue's post above re the Abama in Tenerife

Anywhere in particular you'd recommend? Or is that where you're headed this summer?

We're off to a villa in Coulliere in South of France, though the bit of the border with Spain. First overseas holiday in 5 years. :thumbsup:

Is that the one that looks like a big pink Castle? We drive past that every year on our way to Los Gigantes and I keep meaning to look it up on tripadvisor. Sounds lovely but I bet its a bit pricey.

Edit - sorry, meant to quote londonblue's post above re the Abama in Tenerife

It's more orange than pink...

It's not a family place in my opinion, but worth a look. The beach is shingle, a train trip to Biarritz is worth it.

Menorca is good for kids, know loads of people that have been there. At the moment all we have booked is a mega celebratory family weekend at Center Parcs in June, celebrating my uncle's 70th, my aunt's 60th, my sister's 50th, my cousin's 40th, another cousin and my daughter's 21sts! About 30 of us I think, can't say the prospect is filling me with joy.

Last edited:
Best advice I can give is to take a grandmother/nan with you.
Menorca, or the north part of Majorca, Ibiza Town area are all family friendly and not more than 2/3 hours flying.

Best advice I can give is to take a grandmother/nan with you.
Menorca, or the north part of Majorca, Ibiza Town area are all family friendly and not more than 2/3 hours flying.

Nice one. Yeah been to Menorca when young and it was great, it's definitely on the shortlist.

Back