• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mayweather v Pacquiao

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
Listeners on Radio 5 suggested names for this fight. The winner in the zimmer! The fighters with arthritis! :hilarious:

I can't wait for this fight, I've been waiting for it for years especially after both fighters destroyed Hatton. It won't be as good as it could of been when they were both on top and a little younger but I think a tough fight ahead. Just hope they have no problems before the 2nd of May.

I would love the Pac man to win this one.

Wouldn't be shocked if it still doesn't happen. There's a long time between now & May 2nd.

Anyway, if it does stay on course, Floyd by points

Wouldn't be shocked if it still doesn't happen. There's a long time between now & May 2nd.

Anyway, if it does stay on course, Floyd by points

My thoughts exactly, I think Mayweather is scared of losing his undefeated record and let's be honest these days Pacquio is the only fighter likely to beat him.

Don't mock these guys they are tops.

trouble is this fight will be on SKY box office + to late to watch in pub

$100 million each says it will!

But that type of money has been bandied about, for a bout between these two, for the past 4-5 years & still, something has always stopped this fight happening. Im not saying it wont happen, but I'll just reserve my mediocre excitement, until the pair of them have tipped the scales on May 1st.

I see it much the same as our current stadium fiasco. It should have happened years ago, every now and then we get a whiff of a rumour, or we're told it's close, it's happening, only for it to seemingly die in the water. If Ron Martin came out today & said the ground work will begin on May 2nd, I'd still be cynical, until I saw some high vis jackets & a digger. Same applies here with this fight. And that's just my opinion though

Mayweather will frustrate him all night, keep him at range, hit him with his counters and dance his way to a points win.

Would LOVE to see Manny knock Mayweather spark out but he's just too slippy....

Mayweather will frustrate him all night, keep him at range, hit him with his counters and dance his way to a points win.

Couldn't agree more. I like both fighters and am not too bothered about who wins but I think it would be good to see Pac man knock out Mayweather. I do genuinely think Mayweather is scared of this fight as he fears for his record. That's why Pacquiao has the upper hand as he will know this too!

Couldn't agree more. I like both fighters and am not too bothered about who wins but I think it would be good to see Pac man knock out Mayweather. I do genuinely think Mayweather is scared of this fight as he fears for his record. That's why Pacquiao has the upper hand as he will know this too!

I could believe Floyd was very wary of this bout, a few years ago, but I wouldn't say that is the case now.

Floyd, rightly or wrongly, IS boxing atm. He does what he wants. And as addition to that, he also picks who he fights & when he fights. There's no way he's been coerced into this fight by fan or media demand. He's chosen this fight. Floyd has actually chosen this opponent. He doesn't do that if he's scared.

Unfortunately this is not the same Pacman as a few years ago. He's not that same typhoon who dismantled Cotto & Margarito, decapitated Hatton & made the Hall of Famer, Oscar De La Hoya, retire on his stool. That was Pac at his peak. That was A fighter who had a legitimate claim to being the P4P number 1. He's, sadly, way past that.

As I said, I could believe he was potentially worried a few years ago, but Floyd has chosen this fight, just at the right time.

Pac hasn't had a stoppage victory in his last 9 fights (2 of which he actually lost, including that brutal KO from JMM). I believe he's lost that cutting edge. He showed that in his last fight against Algeri. Pac from a few years ago would have taken him out in 7-8 rounds. But he just seemed to be missing that special spark which made him so fearsome. Same with the Bradley rematch & Bam Bam fight.

With that in mind, I can't see him sparking the best, defensive fighter in the world today, who I should add, hasn't really been troubled since the ODLH fight back in 2007

I could believe Floyd was very wary of this bout, a few years ago, but I wouldn't say that is the case now.

Floyd, rightly or wrongly, IS boxing atm. He does what he wants. And as addition to that, he also picks who he fights & when he fights. There's no way he's been coerced into this fight by fan or media demand. He's chosen this fight. Floyd has actually chosen this opponent. He doesn't do that if he's scared.

Unfortunately this is not the same Pacman as a few years ago. He's not that same typhoon who dismantled Cotto & Margarito, decapitated Hatton & made the Hall of Famer, Oscar De La Hoya, retire on his stool. That was Pac at his peak. That was A fighter who had a legitimate claim to being the P4P number 1. He's, sadly, way past that.

As I said, I could believe he was potentially worried a few years ago, but Floyd has chosen this fight, just at the right time.

Sad but true GBH, sad but true. Stranger things have happened in boxing and there's enough in this to make it a must watch fight but the dream of seeing Mayweather flat on his back looks like it will never happen. Floyd will most likely cruise this one and then retire into the sunset to count his gazillions.....

Sad but true GBH, sad but true. Stranger things have happened in boxing and there's enough in this to make it a must watch fight but the dream of seeing Mayweather flat on his back looks like it will never happen. Floyd will most likely cruise this one and then retire into the sunset to count his gazillions.....

Pac has a chance, albeit small, but you're right, stranger things have happened. All it takes is one sloppy mistake, and one perfectly executed punch. Pac is still/just about, an elite level fighter, so you can't rule anything out entirely. Although I think you're prediction is gunna be spot on.

It's a totally different fight from the proposed one, 4-5 years ago, but will be unmissable nonetheless. Its sure to do anywhere from 500k-1m PPV buys in this country alone. That might seem meaningless figures, but consider Hatton-Mayweather still holds the records of 1.2m PPV buys IIRC.

Again, I think you're right. I can't see anyone stopping Mayweather. He's a country mile away from being one of the best ever, (regardless of his promotional claims) but he is untouchable atm, and there is nobody on the horizon who looks like they could stop him. Khan? Garcia? No. Even fearsome bangers like Matthysse or Thurman? No probably not.

I'm not sure about the retirement part. This probably isn't his last payday, and if he doesn't want it to be, then it certainly won't, but let me elaborate... His current TV deal, ends IIRC, in 2 fights time. Lets say he wins both of those fights. That takes his record to 49-0. That puts him level with the great, Rocky Marciano. If Floyd wanted to beat Marciano's record, (which he HAS alluded to, in the past) as a free agent, how much could he possibly earn for a 50th & final fight? We're talking blank cheques here. That is a bigger payday than Pacman & that is also his legacy.

Be quiet and book your flights to Vegas you knob.....

love you really :tease:

Sadly*, I'm already booked to go twice already this year, so the idea of a third time, is begrudgingly on the back burner atm.

*its not that sad though, as I'm still off to Vegas twice, so could be worse :tease:

True true. His personality outside of the ring could be classed as, somewhat misogynistic

haha that's putting it lightly!

Always enjoy these boxing threads (even when there's disagreement (GBJ and Wes, mainly:winking:)) because it's not something I know much about but it's always an interesting read.

Back