• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
Seems sexism is the new racism in football, are authorities really saying they would throw people out for what most know is just a bit of banter?

I've walked round the pitch many times and have had the "get your tits out" thing chanted, it's part and parcel isn't it? And I'm pretty sure the Chelsea physio or doctor, whatever she is, is used to it and immune to it? Although, it was interesting that both Man City and United denied it had gone on until they were shown the proof!

In my opinion, sometimes those do-gooders just go a little too far, football will become a sterile environment.

Seems sexism is the new racism in football, are authorities really saying they would throw people out for what most know is just a bit of banter?

I've walked round the pitch many times and have had the "get your tits out" thing chanted, it's part and parcel isn't it? And I'm pretty sure the Chelsea physio or doctor, whatever she is, is used to it and immune to it? Although, it was interesting that both Man City and United denied it had gone on until they were shown the proof!

In my opinion, sometimes those do-gooders just go a little too far, football will become a sterile environment.

And did you? If we are ever going to stamp out your 'on pitch' antics OBL your public needs to know.

Comments like that chant are not acceptable in the work-place, it's a sacking offence. It's not acceptable in a restaurant or supermarket. Did you find the chant of "Karen Brady is a whore" reasonable?

Equally, would a group of female supporters chanting "Get your c*** out!" be acceptable?

Strange that racism and homophobia are not acceptable but sexism - which can be equally as intimidating for some (if not many) seems to be.

Comments like that chant are not acceptable in the work-place, it's a sacking offence. It's not acceptable in a restaurant or supermarket. Did you find the chant of "Karen Brady is a whore" reasonable?

Equally, would a group of female supporters chanting "Get your c*** out!" be acceptable?

Strange that racism and homophobia are not acceptable but sexism - which can be equally as intimidating for some (if not many) seems to be.
Totally agree. My eldest daughter has probably been to 30 football grounds from the age of 8 to 14. She has a Saturday job now and I can't say I'm too fussed that she doesn't go now as every woman from 16 up is prone to being shouted at if they dare to walk anywhere alone during a match. It's embarrassing. Start chucking people out for it and it will stop.

Sexism has no more place in football than racism, mindless chants that are offensive, boring and not even the remotest bit amusing. 'Get your tits out for the lads'. It may have been funny once, the first time only I suspect but to still hear it God knows how many years on, is puerile, backward and shows that there are still those stuck on the evolutionary ladder, no better than strategically shaved apes. Lets move on and evolve.

It's quite sad, IMO, that you are so used to it you see it as part and parcel of football. Sexism, isn't the new racism, but it is still "abuse" (I can't think of a better word - it's too early) and needs to be looked at.

As for the Chelsea doctor, I would ask her what she thinks rather than guess. However, I suspect that because she is a doctor she garners more respect than the average female involved in football, and therefore may not really experience much sexism. Who knows? I certainly don't because I haven't spoken to her.

Just another attempt to completely sanitise football. Should the Bluebelles be banned because they objectify women?

As it happens, they're one of the reasons my wife doesn't come to football. That said, the main reason is that she's at home cooking and cleaning whilst I take the boys.

:winking:

Seeing as several women involved with football have come out and said how awful the abuse is, says it all. Sexism, racism, homophobia have no place in football.

Just another attempt to completely sanitise football. Should the Bluebelles be banned because they objectify women?

No they should be banned because they are rubbish.

They don't objectify women either , they objectify teenagers, which is probably even worse.

This idea that football is being sanitised is so dated. Racist , homophobic or sexist behaviour would not be acceptable at any other places of entertainment. Just because football grounds have a higher than average percentage of ignorant bigots in its customer base , does not mean they should be pandered to by calling insulting behaviour "banter".

I'd love the swear-filter to be updated so the word "banter" is replaced with "bullying"

I like OBL as she says what most are thinking, but from a female perspective. It's true that some cross the line, but I don't think there is any malicious intent 95% of the time.

It feels like people are trying to drain all emotion from the game - that's obviously condemning the Chelsea fans, Karen Brady is a w**** etc - but on the pitch too: good hard tackles, personalities (where are the Cantonas, Vinnie Jones and Roy Keanes gone?) and the passion from the terraces.

I'm slowly falling out of love with the beautiful game... 😒

"In all, the campaign group has recorded 13 similar incidents this season aimed at female staff, officials, journalists and cheerleaders. In the footage from Old Trafford, obtained by the BBC, the crowd chants: “Get your tits out for the lads,” while an individual shouts: “Show us where you **** from, you slag, show us your minge,” to laughter.

At Stamford Bridge, a handful of away supporters chant: “Have you ever had a Gooner up your arse?” at Carneiro."

From: http://www.theguardian.com/football...elsea-doctor-sexism-manchester-united-arsenal

Imagine this abuse was at your wife/daughter/mother, who had the temerity to want to have some involvement in football, as a doctor, official, cheerleader etc.

I agree that there is no place in football, or indeed society, for sexism, racism or homophobic behaviour. Anyone found committing this sort of behaviour should be ejected from the ground and banned. However, I hope that does't stop football banter because you can still have fun without resorting to unacceptable behaviour. I see nothing wrong in funny comments or chants , such as 'Is there a fire drill?' but supporters must learn where to draw the line and never to cross it.

I like OBL as she says what most are thinking, but from a female perspective. It's true that some cross the line, but I don't think there is any malicious intent 95% of the time.

It feels like people are trying to drain all emotion from the game - that's obviously condemning the Chelsea fans, Karen Brady is a w**** etc - but on the pitch too: good hard tackles, personalities (where are the Cantonas, Vinnie Jones and Roy Keanes gone?) and the passion from the terraces.

I'm slowly falling out of love with the beautiful game... ��

Passion surely is jumping up and down when BBBC sticks the ball in the net, or Dan Bentley saves a penalty? Unsure what telling a woman to "get her tits out" has to do with passion.

This thread ties in nicely with the survey one, why don't minorities go to football. Sexism seems ok when the Blue Belles are outside the hall selling us crap, or lottery tickets at half time but other than that lets all be 'new men'.

Being so young and so scantily dressed I would have thought that would attract a certain type of 'minority'. I mean they've almost groomed them selves already.

On the other hand if we want to attract say a corporate class of minority, may I suggest the Burka Belles

Passion surely is jumping up and down when BBBC sticks the ball in the net, or Dan Bentley saves a penalty? Unsure what telling a woman to "get her tits out" has to do with passion.

Works with my other half

I'm slowly falling out of love with the beautiful game... 
OBL doesn't have a female perspective she just has her perspective and happens to be female. She doesn't claim to speak for 50% of the population just for herself. She speaks her mind as do I and as do you. You just respect her for doing that now because she is saying something you agree with. Everyone on this thread has said what they are thinking, I don't know why you would assume the majority wouldn't do that.

Back