• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WESTY_SUFC

There's been plenty of anti Phil Brown threads started after a single bad game (some rightly so, others certainly not) so think this one deserves its place.

Phil has got the team winning regularly and can anyone say tonight wasn't a good to watch? The team are really playing well and he most certainly must deserve some praise especially as there feels a good unity in the whole squad which is very hard to keep and players when given the chance are really upping their own game to keep their place in the side.

Phil Brown should be applauded for what he is doing. I find it incredible some supporters are still so critical. He must feel demoralised at times.

Don't expect the brown out brigade to have any praise for Brown. We are only 5th in the league and looking likely to equal or beat our best ever points tally in this league in SPITE of Brown. We are only above the likes of Portsmouth, Newport, Plymouth and Luton because we are SOUTHEND and we should be walking the league we have spend the majority of our history in. His defensive/Dull tactics have made us one of the hardest teams to beat...but everyone knows successful teams are build on conceding a few each game and scoring more.

Sometimes fans decide the face doesn't fit and that will be that until the next man comes along and we can start the process again.

Totally agree, these miserable brigade of supporters will only come on when losing or having not scored three goals at home.
I do suspect many are like this in life, whether they are unhappy in their jobs because they know better than the bosses, and just jealous with others in life full stop
How managers and players canbe judged on one game or even ten is beyond me.

Sometimes a step back and thinking before a tirade of abuse at players/manager/chairmen and even our supporters is needed.
Well done Phil Brown and the lads and even if we don't make it this season, you have given us hope for the future, and maybe another trip to Wembley come May

UTS

Don't expect the brown out brigade to have any praise for Brown. We are only 5th in the league and looking likely to equal or beat our best ever points tally in this league in SPITE of Brown. We are only above the likes of Portsmouth, Newport, Plymouth and Luton because we are SOUTHEND and we should be walking the league we have spend the majority of our history in. His defensive/Dull tactics have made us one of the hardest teams to beat...but everyone knows successful teams are build on conceding a few each game and scoring more.

Sometimes fans decide the face doesn't fit and that will be that until the next man comes along and we can start the process again.

Rubbish !

If the team were allowed to play such as last night then nobody would have moaned on here,playing 451 was utter madness and sent many fans into a frenzy.

I have always said this team should be top 3 if allowed to play.

Phil Brown should be applauded for what he is doing. I find it incredible some supporters are still so critical. He must feel demoralised at times.

I doubt it. I reckon he's happy with his performance, and what the Chairman thinks. I doubt he gives a monkeys what we think.

Rubbish !

If the team were allowed to play such as last night then nobody would have moaned on here,playing 451 was utter madness and sent many fans into a frenzy.

I have always said this team should be top 3 if allowed to play.

What the hell does this mean ??? "Allowed to Play"

People have called Brown tactically useless and apart from a couple of strange subsititions I disagree with this. People may like some of the football they have seen, but this does not mean that he is tactically useless. Everyone in football have differing opinions about how a game can be played, however only the manager can be proved right or wrong !!

MrsBlue, I am sorry but you say what every is fasionable at the time, if I recall correctly, earlier in the season you was saying that it was criminal that Brown wasnt picking a team around Jack Payne .... hmmmmmmm, our best run and Payne is no where near the starting 11.

You talk on here that iof you was in charge, and played 442 all season that we would have lost less than the very impressive 9 games that we have lost this season.

When we played 1 up top, we still went on an excellent run with that formation.

We have been there or there abouts in the top 7/8 all season and yet people still think that we have a god given right to be in the top 3, therefore taking any credit away from Brown. He has faced awful injuries, mainly to his defenders and yet we still have 1 of the meanest defences across all 4 divisions !!!

Granted, on occassions, Browns subs etc have frustrated me, but you know what, I reckon as a manager he is great to play for. People question if he has the dressing room, you just need to look at the the attitude of the players week in week out, for 90% of the games this season I would say each player to the last have given their all for the team and shirt and therefore for me, the manager.

People have rubbished his ability in the transfer market, yet I look at the players he has bought in and I am sorry I am often more impressed than I disappointed.

Players that were already here have improved under him, Timlin, Bentley and Corr being the examples this.

Our fitness is greater than I have seen for many a year, again a testement to the training.

I am not looking through rose tinted glasses, I am looking at a team still in the hunt for a promotion spot, as opposed to being a Tranmere (we are too big to go down with Adams in charge) fan, or a Pompey fan, or any other of the 19 teams beneath us in this very difficult quagmire of a league to get out of !!

This weekend will define the end of the season, a result for us at Exeter and a defeat (or draw) for Wycombe will really put the pressure on and I for 1 cant wait.

UTB's

Totally agree, these miserable brigade of supporters will only come on when losing or having not scored three goals at home.
I do suspect many are like this in life, whether they are unhappy in their jobs because they know better than the bosses, and just jealous with others in life full stop
How managers and players canbe judged on one game or even ten is beyond me.

Sometimes a step back and thinking before a tirade of abuse at players/manager/chairmen and even our supporters is needed.
Well done Phil Brown and the lads and even if we don't make it this season, you have given us hope for the future, and maybe another trip to Wembley come May

UTS

You are contradicting yourself. You moan at people judging after one natch but are agreeing with the op that praise should 've given for one match .

Regardless, I don't rate Brown and before today could not see us going up via the playoffs. Last night was brilliant. and has given me back far more belief. I know we can't play like that every week, but if we can every now abd again I would be happy. So well done , Phil Brown, I don't know what you said/did differently but more of the same please. We actually could have lost last night due to our failure to score more goals, but I would still have been happy because the quality of some of our play was brilliant and I could take pleasure in that. having said that If white's shot had gone in maybe they would never have recovered and we would have ended up a rout. The beauty of football, if but,maybe

Well i dont know if Phil Brown demanded it but last night was simple , we actually played the match at a high tempo and got players forward in numbers. Every time we play in this manner we look awesome , why the hell dont we do it every week? If we played like that all season we would already be champions.... it was the timid defensive cautious approach for 3/4 of this season that has stopped this team - which on paper is the strongest in the league bar none - from being top of the league.
Another strange decision was to put Binnon Williams right back - he was woeful and we were very very lucky that we didnt throw it all away in that last 10 minutes or so . Hes never played right back before so why didnt Lenny ( the best right back in div 2 ) drop in there? crazy !!!!

Having said that , if we repeat the pace passion and power in the remaining games we will be promoted for sure , either automatically or at Wembley. Keep doing the same thing Blues !!!!!!!

What the hell does this mean ??? "Allowed to Play"

People have called Brown tactically useless and apart from a couple of strange subsititions I disagree with this. People may like some of the football they have seen, but this does not mean that he is tactically useless. Everyone in football have differing opinions about how a game can be played, however only the manager can be proved right or wrong !!

MrsBlue, I am sorry but you say what every is fasionable at the time, if I recall correctly, earlier in the season you was saying that it was criminal that Brown wasnt picking a team around Jack Payne .... hmmmmmmm, our best run and Payne is no where near the starting 11.

You talk on here that iof you was in charge, and played 442 all season that we would have lost less than the very impressive 9 games that we have lost this season.

When we played 1 up top, we still went on an excellent run with that formation.

We have been there or there abouts in the top 7/8 all season and yet people still think that we have a god given right to be in the top 3, therefore taking any credit away from Brown. He has faced awful injuries, mainly to his defenders and yet we still have 1 of the meanest defences across all 4 divisions !!!

Granted, on occassions, Browns subs etc have frustrated me, but you know what, I reckon as a manager he is great to play for. People question if he has the dressing room, you just need to look at the the attitude of the players week in week out, for 90% of the games this season I would say each player to the last have given their all for the team and shirt and therefore for me, the manager.

People have rubbished his ability in the transfer market, yet I look at the players he has bought in and I am sorry I am often more impressed than I disappointed.

Players that were already here have improved under him, Timlin, Bentley and Corr being the examples this.

Our fitness is greater than I have seen for many a year, again a testement to the training.

I am not looking through rose tinted glasses, I am looking at a team still in the hunt for a promotion spot, as opposed to being a Tranmere (we are too big to go down with Adams in charge) fan, or a Pompey fan, or any other of the 19 teams beneath us in this very difficult quagmire of a league to get out of !!

This weekend will define the end of the season, a result for us at Exeter and a defeat (or draw) for Wycombe will really put the pressure on and I for 1 cant wait.

UTB's

Payne was on fire and was top scorer so including Jack worked brilliantly until Phil messed him about.
We had at one stage only one forward at the club which you would not expect from a poor Sunday team.
The failure to score At home was because we never had bodies in their third and penalty area.
The 3 successive 0 0 home draws cost us then Stanley winning at the Hall killed us.
Phil had the players but decided to play for narrow win or Nick a point.

As I said on the other thread yesterday evening, we are on target with a couple more wins to get over 80 points, and could even finish with more than Sturrock did.

If thats what we do achieve are we really saying that at the beginning of the season that wouldnt have been an acceptable tally and if Wycombe were to get 86 points that we should have expected to get that or more?

Seems a tad over the top to me.

This season has had plenty of ups and downs and we certainly havent seen enough goals at times, but the overall league performance is going to exceed what Tilson achieved when we went up, might well exceed our highest points tally in this league. The fact that might not actually be enough this year is a sickener but hardly worthy of criticism.

Payne was on fire and was top scorer so including Jack worked brilliantly until Phil messed him about.
We had at one stage only one forward at the club which you would not expect from a poor Sunday team.
The failure to score At home was because we never had bodies in their third and penalty area.
The 3 successive 0 0 home draws cost us then Stanley winning at the Hall killed us.
Phil had the players but decided to play for narrow win or Nick a point.

You talk about Payne working brilliantly, (which he did sometimes, yetother times was a complete passenger), yet to play him he cant play 442.

You cant have it both ways.

Look at last night, there was no place in that side or system for Payne and it was the best perfomance at home all season.

For Sufc to feature in the play offs is always worthy of a well done. I like brown, as a team we do so much right, work rate never in question, commitment at obscene levels, defensively one of the best, we try and play the right way. Just a handful of goals from topping the league....that is literally the difference this year...five more goals I reckon.

As I said on the other thread yesterday evening, we are on target with a couple more wins to get over 80 points, and could even finish with more than Sturrock did.

If thats what we do achieve are we really saying that at the beginning of the season that wouldnt have been an acceptable tally and if Wycombe were to get 86 points that we should have expected to get that or more?

Seems a tad over the top to me.

This season has had plenty of ups and downs and we certainly havent seen enough goals at times, but the overall league performance is going to exceed what Tilson achieved when we went up, might well exceed our highest points tally in this league. The fact that might not actually be enough this year is a sickener but hardly worthy of criticism.

You often make good points JamMan but I think you also keep your finger off the trigger a lot. I was never a fan of Corr but have publicly said he has done enough for me to retract much of the criticism. I am right though that Corr was not good enough to lead the line as a lone striker and PB's persistence with that for so much of the season has left us close but with no cigar.

Even with fortuitous results now we may end up deprived of automatic promotion on GD and lot of that is down to the 'win 1-0' mentality that PB stood by.

Yes things have turned of late but too late. We should never of had the shambles of an attack force that a) PB brought in and b) dispensed with and left us bereft of options.

The Pig and Butch Cassidy have filled the gap admirably but it was too long in coming. I stand by my view that PB has shown the inability to accept in good time the need for change to his 'footballing genius.' The ability to change and be fluid and to accept that we all have to learn is quintessential.

You often make good points JamMan but I think you also keep your finger off the trigger a lot. I was never a fan of Corr but have publicly said he has done enough for me to retract much of the criticism. I am right though that Corr was not good enough to lead the line as a lone striker and PB's persistence with that for so much of the season has left us close but with no cigar.

Even with fortuitous results now we may end up deprived of automatic promotion on GD and lot of that is down to the 'win 1-0' mentality that PB stood by.

Yes things have turned of late but too late. We should never of had the shambles of an attack force that a) PB brought in and b) dispensed with and left us bereft of options.

The Pig and Butch Cassidy have filled the gap admirably but it was too long in coming. I stand by my view that PB has shown the inability to accept in good time the need for change to his 'footballing genius.' The ability to change and be fluid and to accept that we all have to learn is quintessential.

Like I said, its not been perfect, its been extremely frustrating at times and the lack of strikers was a failing and there have been plenty of dodgy decisions made.

However the net result of this season is very likely going to be over 80 points.

Whatever complaints people may have about the season you cant surely say we should have been guaranteed to get 86 points or more which is what it may well take to get in the top 3?

Like I said, its not been perfect, its been extremely frustrating at times and the lack of strikers was a failing and there have been plenty of dodgy decisions made.

However the net result of this season is very likely going to be over 80 points.

Whatever complaints people may have about the season you cant surely say we should have been guaranteed to get 86 points or more which is what it may well take to get in the top 3?

Nope. No guarantee but as it turns out the reason we did not accumulate enough points was not because we were not good enough. The right mindset and the right changes at the right time would have sufficed. Thats not hindsight. We all knew it at the time bar one person and that one person had the opportunity to do something about it.

Can you really judge a season on the number of points gained? Doesn't it depend on the quality of the teams in the division? Does the fact that the top three are likely to have around ninety points indicate that quality this season is pretty poor?
How can you congratulate Phil Brown when the season isn't over?......my congratulations (or otherwise) will come in May when the job is finished. Let's just pray that on May 23rd we can (mrsblue included) all heartily praise PB for his achievement...................but that time is not yet here.

Nope. No guarantee but as it turns out the reason we did not accumulate enough points was not because we were not good enough. The right mindset and the right changes at the right time would have sufficed. Thats not hindsight. We all knew it at the time bar one person and that one person had the opportunity to do something about it.

There are no certainties in anything.

Over the course of the season we have had people clammering for Jack Payne to play, he was played which actually meant us sticking with the lone striker, we have changed to 442 because it would help strikers, and it certainly helped Corr, but Pigott and Cassidy have scored a grand total of 1 goal between them in the last 10 matches, so it hasnt helped them.

Its all very well saying after 4 wins thats how we should have done it all season, yet the 10 games previous saw only 3 wins in 10.

All that actually matters is the end result, 80+ points is a good return and no compared to the 3 who go up we werent good enough, and even now I dont think we are the level of the top 3. Im not going to slaughter Brown for only getting 80+ points (if thats what we get).

Lets hope we are good enough, and have some momentum, to do well in the play-offs.

Can you really judge a season on the number of points gained? Doesn't it depend on the quality of the teams in the division? Does the fact that the top three are likely to have around ninety points indicate that quality this season is pretty poor?
How can you congratulate Phil Brown when the season isn't over?......my congratulations (or otherwise) will come in May when the job is finished. Let's just pray that on May 23rd we can (mrsblue included) all heartily praise PB for his achievement...................but that time is not yet here.

Does the quality of this division really change that much year to year?

Im not congratulating Brown for anything, if we fail to go up there is no cause for celebration, but same as when Sturrock got 83 points I think its reasonable to acknowlegde the achievement.

Even a thread congratulating Phil Brown ends up with him being slated!:smile:

This will be the second successive season Brown has got us in the playoffs. That deserves a lot of credit given the teams who come down from League 1 and those who come flying out of the Conference.

Back