• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Network Rail upgrade delayed by government

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
It looks like Network rail are in serious manure as a result of rising costs and missed targets of their modernisation program, making the £38.5bn plan untenable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33270586

Obviously, nobody wants to see this sort of outcome to change, but as a Government body I'm a little surprised that the Minister responsible is laying the blame completely on Network Rail and bypassing any Government accountability.

The north losing out again - so much for the 'northern powerhouse'

The trains are poor across the country, but southerners would **** themselves at the state of local and inter-city services up here.

It looks like Network rail are in serious manure as a result of rising costs and missed targets of their modernisation program, making the £38.5bn plan untenable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33270586

Obviously, nobody wants to see this sort of outcome to change, but as a Government body I'm a little surprised that the Minister responsible is laying the blame completely on Network Rail and bypassing any Government accountability.

You actually think the government would blame themselves, justified or otherwise?

Unbelievable that the Trans-Pennine route upgrade is being paused. This should have been done years ago and should be an urgent priority, certainly ahead of HS2.

You actually think the government would blame themselves, justified or otherwise?

Network Rail was taken back into public ownership because of the continued failure of the commercial attempts to run it. Once that happens then a Minister is responsible for it. If big stuff goes wrong on their watch, then, yes, I do think the Government should share responsibility if only because they have let Network Rail carry on with insufficient oversight on the Gov't's part.

But they won't, because they're the government, and there are three unbreakable tenents to get into it: you must be a useless ponce, you must like having more money than anyone else in the country, and you must think you are God's gift to the earth and everyone beneath you should treat you as such. Preferably by giving you money.

Last edited:
Network Rail was taken back into public ownership because of the continued failure of the commercial attempts to run it. Once that happens then a Minister is responsible for it. If big stuff goes wrong on their watch, then, yes, I do think the Government should share responsibility if only because they have let Network Rail carry on with insufficient oversight on the Gov't's part.

You are absolutely right, but I ask again. Do you actually think the government would blame themselves?

Not suprised that projects go hugely overbudget - experienced Engineers are leaving in droves to be replaced by graduates who (god bless them) know sweet FA. Hence there's a lot of outsourcing to consultants - most of the time the same experienced engineers who originally left - but now paid substantially more for doing exactly the same job.

You couldn't make it up.

What a surprise, the Tories promised the North improvements to the Rail Network in the run up to the election, and soon as they are in it is cancelled. I think it was even in their manifesto.

If you thought the rail network was poor down south, it is appalling up here. Trains are rarely on time, the rolling stock is old, dirty and noisy. And the popular routes are overcrowded because the platforms at many stations aren't long enough to take eight carriage trains.

Back