• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why not? Would be a great way to retire if he beat him.

There's 3 key points to look at here.

1) Froch hasn't been seriously interested in a rematch with him Ward for years. He's never openly/actively pursued or even called for a rematch, since about 2012(?). But on the flip side, Ward has always been open to a rematch

2) Ward has held the WBA's Super title for ages, whilst Froch has held the WBA's regular title. The WBA have recently wanted to make a bout between the two, but again, It never came to fruition, with Froch's side rumoured to be stalling.

3) Froch is miles behind Ward in terms of ability, and is on a natural decline. Whereas Ward still looks the best SMW on the planet.

Only fight left for Froch is Golovkin (which has the makings of an all-time classic, a la Gatti-Ward). Other than that, he should retire IMO.

Agree, two elements, Froch knows that barring out of this world performance, he won't beat Ward. He's trying to leave a legacy, fighting Ward has a far greater chance of damaging it. The second is money; a fight against Ward, despite him being a pound for pound fighter, just wouldn't generate the same level of interest (and subsequently $$) as a Golovkin, or the previously Mooted Chavez Jnr.

Good day on the boxing front yesterday.

George Groves Vs Badou Jack finally confirmed for Aug 22, for the WBC belt, in Las Vegas.

Ive been a bit disappointed with GG in his last few bouts. The slick & sharp style he learned under Adam Booth has all but been forgotten & been replaced with sloppiness. I don't rate Fitzpatrick as a trainer & personally think he's been awful for Groves.

That being said, Groves should dismantle Badou Jack with relative ease. If he's sharp, he'll end the fight around the 6th round. Otherwise I could see him lumber to a convincing, yet frustrating points win.

And finally, the big man gets hit shot at Wlad, on Oct 24th in Germany.

It's no secret that I'm a fan of Tyson Fury, I think he's great for the sport, (most of the time). He's a character that splits opinion like no other in boxing. My head says Wlad, my heart says Fury. I'd love to see him do it, and I think he has got the tools to do so. Wlad is ageing & hasn't been in with a giant for years. He won't bully Tyson, like we've seen him do to other, smaller opponents. He'll sit behind the jab & try to grind Tyson down, winning the rounds. But, if the ref allows Tyson to fight his dirty/rough stuff on the inside, he's got a real chance of catching Wlad with a big punch.

WAR Luke!!!

Cue Wes & his scathing attack on poor old Luke

:winking: :'(

Ha – ok. I’ll be as objective with this as I can be.

Groves, agree with everything. I don’t know what is up with him, whether it’s a mental thing on the back of a hard KO, whether it’s trouble getting himself up for the smaller fights after the glam and glitz of a PPV World Title tilt at Wembley (Carl Froch knocked hium out there in front of 80,000 people dontcha know!), or whether it is the change in trainer. I think it’s a combination of them all. And off the back of that, we’ll see a very different Groves to the last couple of bouts. We’ll see a quick, slick powerful Groves. Jack is a tough little *******, but he doesn’t have the arsenal a tip top Groves has, so I’ll follow your first prediction. Groves to show up, and finish in the sixth.

I will look forward to the Fury fight. But I honestly don’t believe the Gypsy King has the tools, discipline or mental belief to cope with Wlad. I very rarely ever see him in good shape, he always looked fleshy – that’s not a great indication of a man wanting to be the best in his game. He does try and use his weight and height to his advantage, but more in the pushing and holding of opponents, then actual strength in the punch. I honestly think he would be better off converting that energy into punch strength, but then as I’ve said before, I think he’s often scared in the ring, and this leads a lot of his style and work in the gym. The whole bull and bluster we see from him is just a front to hide his insecurities. Wlad despite his age and predictable style, will just be too polished and too strong for a fighter that technically, isn’t a natural fighter. He’s a man with strength and size, and they’ve used that as the starting point to shoehorn him into a fighter.

I know this sounds like a panning, and isn’t really fair to someone that has a title fight. But that’s more to do with how poor the division is; he’s fought no-one of note, a poor European champion in Chisora, Cunningham, an ageing cruiserweight. But in the interest of balance I still wanted to try and talk about how I think he could win, but I’m struggling. He doesn’t have speed, or natural boxing ability, his uncle has had to work hard to get him into something resembling a fighter. He could get some success if he could get inside Wlad and fight dirty, but many better fighters have tried and failed to get inside the jab. I actually believe this good be a wipe out, and will have my money on a finish inside four rounds for Wlad.

Sorry GBJ, but I will finish on a positive for Fury; despite what you think about AJ, despite what I think about Fury, and despite what many think about Wilder; they have all done one thing very well, they’ve breathed some life into a very stale Heavyweight division. It’s become interesting again. Add in Wlad’s legacy, Hughie and White’s potential, and the possible grudge matches in the near future, and I don’t have that lethargic feel every time someone talks about a heavyweight title fight now.

Bit gutted both those bouts have been chosen to be in Germany and Vegas. I will have to get tickets to AJs next bout then.

Looking forward to both fights, I'd like to see Fury win. As for the other fight I'm not a fan of GG so Jack to win for me.

Ha – ok. I’ll be as objective with this as I can be.

Groves, agree with everything. I don’t know what is up with him, whether it’s a mental thing on the back of a hard KO, whether it’s trouble getting himself up for the smaller fights after the glam and glitz of a PPV World Title tilt at Wembley (Carl Froch knocked hium out there in front of 80,000 people dontcha know!), or whether it is the change in trainer. I think it’s a combination of them all. And off the back of that, we’ll see a very different Groves to the last couple of bouts. We’ll see a quick, slick powerful Groves. Jack is a tough little *******, but he doesn’t have the arsenal a tip top Groves has, so I’ll follow your first prediction. Groves to show up, and finish in the sixth.

I'd say the KO has obviously dented his confidence, as it would any professional. But even before the KO he displayed erratic & careless signs. Both Froch fights, he made stupid, sloppy mistakes. Against Rebrasse (who's a very good fighter, and certainly impressed against Callum Smith) again he made mistakes. It's just all a bit slapdash really. And I've gotta put it down to the trainer. Booth wouldn't allow that kind of sloppiness. I can't think of a single Booth fighter, who's actually been sloppy or lazy in the ring? His fighters are sharp from the minute they enter the ring, to the minute they exit. He trains them like that, to not drop concentration for a second. Under Fitzpatrick, it seems all that has gone from Groves.

I will look forward to the Fury fight. But I honestly don’t believe the Gypsy King has the tools, discipline or mental belief to cope with Wlad. I very rarely ever see him in good shape, he always looked fleshy – that’s not a great indication of a man wanting to be the best in his game. He does try and use his weight and height to his advantage, but more in the pushing and holding of opponents, then actual strength in the punch. I honestly think he would be better off converting that energy into punch strength, but then as I’ve said before, I think he’s often scared in the ring, and this leads a lot of his style and work in the gym. The whole bull and bluster we see from him is just a front to hide his insecurities. Wlad despite his age and predictable style, will just be too polished and too strong for a fighter that technically, isn’t a natural fighter. He’s a man with strength and size, and they’ve used that as the starting point to shoehorn him into a fighter.

In fairness the only real bit I can argue with is his shape. He IS capable of getting into brilliant shape (as seen below) but of course that doesn't mean he will.

image.jpg

I know this sounds like a panning, and isn’t really fair to someone that has a title fight. But that’s more to do with how poor the division is; he’s fought no-one of note, a poor European champion in Chisora, Cunningham, an ageing cruiserweight. But in the interest of balance I still wanted to try and talk about how I think he could win, but I’m struggling. He doesn’t have speed, or natural boxing ability, his uncle has had to work hard to get him into something resembling a fighter. He could get some success if he could get inside Wlad and fight dirty, but many better fighters have tried and failed to get inside the jab. I actually believe this good be a wipe out, and will have my money on a finish inside four rounds for Wlad.

Again, I can't really argue with it mate haha. What you've said is pretty much spot on. BUT for some reason, I still make Tyson a live opponent. It's that old cliche of heavyweight boxing, anything can happen etc etc. I do think it'll take a small miracle, but then stranger things have happened!! Just ask James Douglas. And on top of that, I don't think Wlad looked great against Jennings, in his last fight, so maybe his time has come? Maybe, just maybe, Tyson can check his chin, which has been proven to be beatable in the past

Sorry GBJ, but I will finish on a positive for Fury; despite what you think about AJ, despite what I think about Fury, and despite what many think about Wilder; they have all done one thing very well, they’ve breathed some life into a very stale Heavyweight division. It’s become interesting again. Add in Wlad’s legacy, Hughie and White’s potential, and the possible grudge matches in the near future, and I don’t have that lethargic feel every time someone talks about a heavyweight title fight now.

As soon as Wlad goes, the division will get even better. More title defences, more titles exchanging hands and more importantly more 50/50, pick 'em fights.

Forgot to add, this man is the future of the HW's. Him & AJ will have an absolute barnstormer when they eventually meet.

WAR Hughie!!!

image.jpg

Bit gutted both those bouts have been chosen to be in Germany and Vegas. I will have to get tickets to AJs next bout then.

Looking forward to both fights, I'd like to see Fury win. As for the other fight I'm not a fan of GG so Jack to win for me.

I've checked the prices for going to Düsseldorf, it's ranging from £120-150 per person for flights & hotel for 3 nights. That's pretty good tbh. And Düsseldorf is a cracking place, especially the Old Town. If it wasn't for the fact I'm off to Vegas 2 weeks later, I'd have snapped called it, at those prices

Last edited:
I've checked the prices for going to Düsseldorf, it's ranging from £120-150 per person for flights & hotel for 3 nights. That's pretty good tbh. And Düsseldorf is a cracking place, especially the Old Town. If it wasn't for the fact if off to Vegas 2 weeks later, I'd have snapped called it, at those prices

That's pretty decent, what are the likely prices of tickets?

That's pretty decent, what are the likely prices of tickets?

From what I remember, Wlad tickets aren't extortionate. Me & my mates had tickets for his fight with Haye back in 2009 (which obvs fell apart) which were only about 40-50 Euros. And Düsseldorf is a cracking little place, you can have a proper good night out there.

Depending how mad you'd wanna go on spending money, I'd guesstimate the total trip would cost £250-£350

From what I remember, Wlad tickets aren't extortionate. Me & my mates had tickets for his fight with Haye back in 2009 (which obvs fell apart) which were only about 40-50 Euros. And Düsseldorf is a cracking little place, you can have a proper good night out there.

Depending how mad you'd wanna go on spending money, I'd guesstimate the total trip would cost £250-£350

Ah man I wish you hadn't of said all this. The wife is going to kill me. Haha! See if I can find a mate who fancies it and I might go for this.

Ah man I wish you hadn't of said all this. The wife is going to kill me. Haha! See if I can find a mate who fancies it and I might go for this.

I went to Wlad Haye fight in 2011 in Hamburg, we got good tickets for about 70€, and we had no trouble getting them at all. If you can do it, go for it, it'll be a top night!

I'd say the KO has obviously dented his confidence, as it would any professional. But even before the KO he displayed erratic & careless signs. Both Froch fights, he made stupid, sloppy mistakes. Against Rebrasse (who's a very good fighter, and certainly impressed against Callum Smith) again he made mistakes. It's just all a bit slapdash really. And I've gotta put it down to the trainer. Booth wouldn't allow that kind of sloppiness. I can't think of a single Booth fighter, who's actually been sloppy or lazy in the ring? His fighters are sharp from the minute they enter the ring, to the minute they exit. He trains them like that, to not drop concentration for a second. Under Fitzpatrick, it seems all that has gone from Groves.

Agree on all counts. I think everyone found it strange at the time, who in their right mind would leave a trainer like Booth, especially at a time when he did, and he almost justified it. Paddy Fitzpatrick has a decent enough calibre, but when you lay it out as above, it does look pretty telling.

In fairness the only real bit I can argue with is his shape. He IS capable of getting into brilliant shape (as seen below) but of course that doesn't mean he will.

View attachment 3518

Are you sure that has't been airbrushed ha. To be fair, he looks good there, I really hope for the sake of the fight, he does really push himself to get fit for this one, I still want him to lose, obviously and dramatically; but I do want to see him make a fight of it.

Again, I can't really argue with it mate haha. What you've said is pretty much spot on. BUT for some reason, I still make Tyson a live opponent. It's that old cliche of heavyweight boxing, anything can happen etc etc. I do think it'll take a small miracle, but then stranger things have happened!! Just ask James Douglas. And on top of that, I don't think Wlad looked great against Jennings, in his last fight, so maybe his time has come? Maybe, just maybe, Tyson can check his chin, which has been proven to be beatable in the past

He's a heavyweight, so yeah, I'll always give him a punchers chance. And Wlad does seem to be going through the motions in his fights, maybe the lack of motivation because the opposition isn't all that at the moment is lacking. That said, he's seemed bright and in good spirits in the press conference's I've seen.

As soon as Wlad goes, the division will get even better. More title defences, more titles exchanging hands and more importantly more 50/50, pick 'em fights.

Yeah true that, the sooner the monopoly is over and he joins his brother being egged in parliment (as opposed to losing his dinner to Briggs in diners) the better.

And War Hughie, hell yeah, let's hope that there fight is a big title fight - SZ booze up anyone? I just hope Hughie learns from Tyson and keeps his mouth shut, after all, and I'll finish on a quote you'll enjoy, any man that says he's King (gypsy or other), is no king.

Agree on all counts. I think everyone found it strange at the time, who in their right mind would leave a trainer like Booth, especially at a time when he did, and he almost justified it. Paddy Fitzpatrick has a decent enough calibre, but when you lay it out as above, it does look pretty telling.

The rumour mill at the time suggested that Groves wanted to fight to a different game plan, than Booth wanted him to. I.e. He wanted to actually engage Froch & trade with him, whereas Booth wanted him to fight a cagey, in-and-out style, which he did against DeGale & like Haye did against Valuev. Groves wanted to win in spectacular fashion, whereas Booth believed his best chance was to box & move, stay out of range & catch Froch with point-winning shots. They argued over it & Booth told him to **** off basically.

Are you sure that has't been airbrushed ha. To be fair, he looks good there, I really hope for the sake of the fight, he does really push himself to get fit for this one, I still want him to lose, obviously and dramatically; but I do want to see him make a fight of it.
He's a heavyweight, so yeah, I'll always give him a punchers chance. And Wlad does seem to be going through the motions in his fights, maybe the lack of motivation because the opposition isn't all that at the moment is lacking. That said, he's seemed bright and in good spirits in the press conference's I've seen

Haha WAR Tyson!! He's got a chance if he comes in fit. It might be a slim chance, but it definitely exists. I'm telling you, if Tyson can frustrate him (big ask) and get dirty in the inside (big ask) then he can have success.

Yeah true that, the sooner the monopoly is over and he joins his brother being egged in parliment (as opposed to losing his dinner to Briggs in diners) the better.

And War Hughie, hell yeah, let's hope that there fight is a big title fight - SZ booze up anyone? I just hope Hughie learns from Tyson and keeps his mouth shut, after all, and I'll finish on a quote you'll enjoy, any man that says he's King (gypsy or other), is no king.

Hughie definitely seems a lot more chilled than his cousin. But he also looks a naturally better fighter. He can jab & hook to the body beautifully, and he's still only 20. I think Peter Fury, their trainer (Tyson's uncle, Hughie's dad) doesn't receive the credit he deserves. He's a decent guy, always comes across very humble, yet knowledgeable. He's a great asset to Hughie.

Wanted to add: Hughie is still a kid basically, but for a 20-year-old, who's able to dictate fights, by boxing off the back foot is brilliant. Compare that with 26(?) year-old Joshua who's never been thrown in against someone who makes him fight off the back foot. I genuinely believe Hughie can go far. I've got a sizeable bet against one of my mates, which dates back to last year, that when Hughie & AJ meet, Hughie wins

Last edited:
What's everyone's take on AJ Vs Whyte later this year? My thought is it's a brilliant fight & will be AJ's first real challenge. Whyte, unlike all those before him, will come to win. He's had AJ down before (which in fairness was a mix of AJ's questionable chin & his inexperience I.e. turning square-on) so there's that added spice to it.

I fancy AJ to win, but I reckon it will be a tough. Whyte can win though. He needs to get into AJ from the early rounds, back him up & try & land a few meaningful, hurtful, shots. That'll stop AJ's rhythm, make him defend & fight cautiously, or at least more cautiously than in previous bouts.

Overall, good fight, should be a real learning curve for AJ. Hope Whyte can actually make him work for a change & possibly even test his chin

What's everyone's take on AJ Vs Whyte later this year? My thought is it's a brilliant fight & will be AJ's first real challenge. Whyte, unlike all those before him, will come to win. He's had AJ down before (which in fairness was a mix of AJ's questionable chin & his inexperience I.e. turning square-on) so there's that added spice to it.

I fancy AJ to win, but I reckon it will be a tough. Whyte can win though. He needs to get into AJ from the early rounds, back him up & try & land a few meaningful, hurtful, shots. That'll stop AJ's rhythm, make him defend & fight cautiously, or at least more cautiously than in previous bouts.

Overall, good fight, should be a real learning curve for AJ. Hope Whyte can actually make him work for a change & possibly even test his chin

As you say it will be his first real test and I could see Whyte taking AJ further than anyone else maybe even the full distance. It's a huge moment in AJs career and will shape up where he goes next.

Froch has retired!

Yeah no major surprise tbh. As soon as the negotiations with Golovkin's people broke down a few weeks ago, it looked on the cards. There's simply nothing left for him. He didn't want any parts of GGG or Ward & the potential future meaningful, domestic clashes were gunna be at least 18 months away. He wouldn't wana go back to fighting at Small Arenas in the mean time, so He literally had nowhere left to turn.

Congratulations for everything he achieved in the ring, but he'll always be an ego-maniacal hypocrite, who was never actually the best in his era.

Back