• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Last time we hosted Brighton in the League Cup, we were in the Championship and they were in League One. We scored in the 87th, 88th and again in stoppage time to win 3-2 and we fielded players of the calibre of Freddy Eastwood, Gary Hooper and Simon Francis; they had Revell. Their new ground was still 5 years away.

Man in charge at Roots Hall on Tuesday is Iain Williamson from Berkshire who is in his 12th season as a League referee. Played non-league for Walton & Hersham until injury forced him into refereeing.

He makes a quick return to Roots Hall having been here for the 1-0 win over Luton when he sent off Ben Coker, possibly on the (misguided) advice of a colleague. Red card was subsequently rescinded. There were also a couple of yellows apiece - ours going to Bolger and Deegan.

We have seen quite a lot of him, this being his sixteenth Southend match in charge. Thirteen of the previous fifteen have been home games, the odd ones out being the dreadful performance at Burton 2010/11 (ours not his - although he wasn't great cautioning 4 of ours and 1 of theirs) and our early season defeat at QPR some while ago.

His previous visit as referee was our 1,500th match at Roots Hall, a comfortable Cup win over Stockport in 2012/13. Yellow for Prosser and 3 of theirs. That was his second visit of that season having presided over our comeback against Exeter with two scoring substitutes (Eastwood and Corr) giving us a victory right at the death. Just a caution for one of theirs.

Before that the most recent home match was deep into 2011/12 against Rotherham when we lost 2-0. Both bookings were theirs.

Other home games include a Drewe dismissal against Oxford, the Freddy Eastwood frivolous appeal match against Southampton in the League Cup, the 1-0 home defeat against Derby and slightly more recently the Cup replay against Telford. His fifteen matches have produced just 27 goals and a multitude of bookings and needless interruptions although happily with all hope of promotion gone he has been far less fussy and unpredictable for a few seasons now

However, for us his most memorable appearance at Roots Hall was when, as 4th official, he held up the numbers board at our historic victory over Manchester United.

He repeated the same trick more recently as 4th Official for our Wembley-clinching semi-final against Orient

He refereed the Orient v Barnet match on Saturday

The two assistants will be two decent non-league referees, Dave Bushall from London and Alan Dale from Ipswich. Fourth Official is ginger haired psychology teacher also from Ipswich, Carl Fitch.

I was at the Orient vs Barnet game on Saturday, he was poor and overly dependent on his linesmen. I know that shouldn't always be a criticism but it was in this instance.

Last time we hosted Brighton in the League Cup, we were in the Championship and they were in League One. We scored in the 87th, 88th and again in stoppage time to win 3-2 and we fielded players of the calibre of Freddy Eastwood, Gary Hooper and Simon Francis; they had Revell. Their new ground was still 5 years away

That remains in my top 5 games ever at Roots Hall. We'd outplayed Brighton from start to finish, and had chance after chance. Then Lewis Hunt scored a wonder volley. And of course, the next round we went on to play Man Utd.

On Friday, whilst looking for some form of confirmation of Joe Pigott's arrival (Although it wasn't actually confirmed until Saturday), I was looking on the Charlton Athletic website and I saw they do a ref watch for the forthcoming game.

Mick, have you ever thought about offering these up to the official website as well as part of their pre-match build up to a game?

As always, my favourite thread on ShrimperZone.

On Friday, whilst looking for some form of confirmation of Joe Pigott's arrival (Although it wasn't actually confirmed until Saturday), I was looking on the Charlton Athletic website and I saw they do a ref watch for the forthcoming game.

Mick, have you ever thought about offering these up to the official website as well as part of their pre-match build up to a game?

This is a great idea! :thumbsup:

No ....... they're fine just where they are !

Agreed Mick --- we need to keep you all to ourselves. :thumbsup:

No, it's not.

Official websites have to be very circumspect about what they say about referees.

If I want to say the referee is a useless, bald ****** who always favours the home sides I can.

Fair enough, just a thought.

I understand the point about being able to say what you want on here and having to be a bit careful for the official website though.

Out of interest, where do you find all these bits of information from? Really enjoyable read.

Out of interest, where do you find all these bits of information from? Really enjoyable read.

Don't tell anyone but, for those referees we've had before (i.e. nearly all of them), most of the information can be found in the previous refwatch last time we had them !! Plagiarism is fine if it's your own stuff you're copying!

Iain Williamson was replaced by Chris Kavanagh (who had previously been allocated the Fourth Official role at Wolves) in a late change. Kavanagh from Manchester had previously refereed last season's away matches at Carlisle and Luton.

Back