• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
It's time to renew our rivalry with the Robins. With one win and two draws and 8 goals for, I reckon this is going to be a tough one as Town always try to play football, home and away. I was going to offer up my starting eleven, but after the Walsall selection I don't think I'll bother apart from I hope Prosser starts and Daniel's in goal.

1-1 for me with Mooney opening his league account.

Gonna be a tough one.. Think we might be able to get a draw if we can keep it tight again.

Bentley

white
barrett
prosser
coker

worrall
timlin
lenny
wordsworth
atkinson

mooney/piggy/hunt (not really fussed who starts up top, as doubt theh will have much to do)

Got to be a tight unit and grind out a result I think.

Packing the midfield again me thinks, with on up top, being a complete waste of time, PB might as well play six in the middle, and try to brake quickly, and get people forward. Dont think there will be a lot in it, so, maybe, if we are lucky 0 0.

I would take a draw right now. Unfortunately I can't see us getting much out of this game although of course I hope I am wrong. With the lack of goals I can see us struggling, lets hope we put our scoring boots on.

After witnessing the Walsall disaster cant help but think we will witness something similar tomorrow. Swindon are a better outfit than Walsall and have already scored 8 goals and remain unbeaten. Hoping Hunt is fit to at least offer some support to the front man, whoever that may be. We all know how tough this league is, well Swindon are right up there with the best in this division. Would be surprised if we do better than a 2-0 defeat. Just cant see where we are going to get goals from and cant see a clean sheet against these types of team. Obviously praying that im wrong! UTB

bentley
atkinson white prosser coker
wordsworth leonard timlin worrall
mooney hunt( with 1 boot)

Gonna be a tough one.. Think we might be able to get a draw if we can keep it tight again.

Bentley

white
barrett
prosser
coker

worrall
timlin
lenny
wordsworth
atkinson

mooney/piggy/hunt (not really fussed who starts up top, as doubt theh will have much to do)

Got to be a tight unit and grind out a result I think.

I think you are right with the above, but hope you are wrong. Start with Atkinson, Timlin, Wordsworth/Lenny and Worrall in midfield and if fit play Hunt upfront with Piggott. Playing one upfront at home just invites the opposition on to us as we dont have the player to play the role.

if we go for a packed midfield then we may get a draw but I have a feeling we may well fall over again and go down 1-2 or 1-3....hope I'm wrong but Swindon look good and are one of the favourites to go up....and with Coventry to follow away not looking too good for a win in August....having said that if we could get the right results then the games in September look a lot easier going into the month on the back of a win and a draw

Cannot wait for this game,sitting in the sun watching Hunt's boot looking bemused without assistance stuck in the dug out,I digress back to the game,watching the lone forward being tortured as we bang balls to him at throat height.

Hmmm I really honest guv cannot wait.

Cannot wait for this game,sitting in the sun watching Hunt's boot looking bemused without assistance stuck in the dug out,I digress back to the game,watching the lone forward being tortured as we bang balls to him at throat height.

Hmmm I really honest guv cannot wait.

No-one is forcing you to go?

Bentley
White Prosser Barett Coker
Leonard Timlin
Atkinson Wordsworth Worrall
Pigott

Hopefully Hunt is fit to make the bench so if we need a goal we can bring him on and switch to 4-4-2.

Bentley
Leonard Timlin
Pigott​

Hopefully Hunt is fit to make the bench so if we need a goal we can bring him on and switch to 4-4-2.

That would be my starting XI too

Bentley
Leonard Timlin
Pigott

No problems at all with one up front, never buy into this " one up front is defensive" talk.

However whether the strikers we have can play it Im not so sure about and if we do use it we have to use the ball better rather than having Mooney or whoever chasing lost causes all game. If it gets booted at him then he might as well sit on the sidelines and watch.

So if we do play it thats the formation Id want to see, it has to have either Wordsworth or Payne playing up with the striker, its what we went to against Walsall and it worked quite well, although they were happy to sit back at that point.

No problems at all with one up front, never buy into this " one up front is defensive" talk.

However whether the strikers we have can play it Im not so sure about and if we do use it we have to use the ball better rather than having Mooney or whoever chasing lost causes all game. If it gets booted at him then he might as well sit on the sidelines and watch.

So if we do play it thats the formation Id want to see, it has to have either Wordsworth or Payne playing up with the striker, its what we went to against Walsall and it worked quite well, although they were happy to sit back at that point.

I think its already been established that we dont have the strikers can play that role, very much like we didn't last season. Where it can work is by getting men forward and offering support. Unfortunately though PB doesn't play this way, his wide players/midfield players often sit too deep thus offering little support to the lone striker expected to deal with hopeless long balls pumped up to him. An example of how to use the system properly is Everton away last week. Lakaku is known as not comfortable of playing up top on his own, but last week Everton broke and supported him so well that he was never isolated. It can work, but the personnel and tactics need to be right.

I think its already been established that we dont have the strikers can play that role, very much like we didn't last season. Where it can work is by getting men forward and offering support. Unfortunately though PB doesn't play this way, his wide players/midfield players often sit too deep thus offering little support to the lone striker expected to deal with hopeless long balls pumped up to him. An example of how to use the system properly is Everton away last week. Lakaku is known as not comfortable of playing up top on his own, but last week Everton broke and supported him so well that he was never isolated. It can work, but the personnel and tactics need to be right.

Very true.

We need to go forward with speed,the sheer folly of when we have the ball and passing amongst ourselves is dumb,Somebody has told them retain the ball which is great if occasionally the end product resulted in a goal every now and again...Pass the flipping thing forward with pace and if we have players supporting we will find the net.

Would personally go unchanged. Thought the side Wednesday was the most balanced we've had so far this season.

I hate playing 1 up top at home but I would actually go for this tomorrow and knowing Brown thats exactly what I think we will do. I think if we go toe to toe with them they will win and although I don't like being defensive I think with our current squad and with Hunt being injured this is our only option.

Last season we did, we had Corr, he was perfect as he could actually win the ball and help build attacks from. Dont confuse not scoring as a lone striker to not being able to play the role. Unforutnately we dont have anyone who can do what he did.

Thats why I said if he does play one up front at home it has to be with Payne or Wordsworth up behind the striker. Youd then have Worrall and Hurst/Weston out wide to support them as well. Still wont win much physically but if we dont hoof it at them every chance and play it on the deck it might work.

Back