• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Food waste

SUFC_Ross

Coach
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34647454

gave this a read through and actually find it disgusting that so much good food is wasted year on year, with the gap between classes continually widening, I for one would not have any problem for paying for these as I find it hard enough to feed my family as it is, by having 'imperfect' vegetables for sale it would drive down prices of veg but prosper the farmers who grow them, it would help struggling families find it easier to put food on the table whilst encouraging healthy eating.
I'm not on the dole, I work in the city doing a 9-5 but the wage band is below the cost of living and I for one as I know there are thousands worse off struggle to keep myself and my family afloat and am considered on too good a wage by the government for any sort of help. I just find this disgusting.

Apologies for rambling on but this really did Grind my gears!

One of my pet hates, and I'm glad the BBC is raising awareness of it. So many idiots out there with no common sense who religiously follow 'best before dates' and buy way more than they need. If it looks alright and smells alright, it's probably alright.

One of my pet hates, and I'm glad the BBC is raising awareness of it. So many idiots out there with no common sense who religiously follow 'best before dates' and buy way more than they need. If it looks alright and smells alright, it's probably alright.

Depends what it is.

I don't take chances with fish or chicken.

The BBC article in the original post is absurd, how that happens I dont know. You could understand someone not buying a funny looking apple, but a parsnip? It gets cut up anyway!?

As for food waste in general, since having recycle bins for food its really highlighted how much food a household wastes in general.

A young lady has set up a 25p shop selling out of date goods,good for her i says i hate it when my wife throws away good food because of the use by date just incase she kills someone in our restaurant.

The BBC article in the original post is absurd, how that happens I dont know. You could understand someone not buying a funny looking apple, but a parsnip? It gets cut up anyway!?

As for food waste in general, since having recycle bins for food its really highlighted how much food a household wastes in general.

Food waste bins are also a magnet for creatures of the night who enjoy sh!tting on block driveways as well.

A young lady has set up a 25p shop selling out of date goods,good for her i says i hate it when my wife throws away good food because of the use by date just incase she kills someone in our restaurant.

sounds good. i was going to say there must be a missing market for people who want to buy/use ultra-cheap and uncosmetic/wonky fruit and veg. If you're making mash, or soups or whatever, why not use B-grade stuff. Haven't wholesalers cottoned onto this?

sounds good. i was going to say there must be a missing market for people who want to buy/use ultra-cheap and uncosmetic/wonky fruit and veg. If you're making mash, or soups or whatever, why not use B-grade stuff. Haven't wholesalers cottoned onto this?

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/ is for tins and stuff.

we get wonky fruit and veg from the farmers market. every week they change their deals but its always decent.

I think its more about cooking. If you can cook you can cook from whatever ingredients you have. Poor people who cant cook inevitably choose frozen meals/fast food which invariably leads to health issues.

Joined-up politics - reward people taking cookery classes by giving food vouchers out or book tokens for decent cookbooks.

Ban freezers - that's a start. Shop at your local greengrocer (if they still exist) and plan for the next 3/4 days not months. The fresh fish and fruit/veg markets out here are fabulous. No stupid regs about shape, size or colour. Quality over price every day for me

I find it strange that that article is about parsnips as there is sometimes huge disparity in sizes that you buy in supermarkets - they are usually either quite thin or fat!

What with Jamie and Jimmy's crusade for ugly veg to be available, I think this is long overdue. It really is all but criminal to be wasting good food like this, parsnip makes great mash as well as roasting and it's also great in a casserole. I've been buying value carrots lately, since our greengrocers in Benfleet closed, there's loads of broken and misshapen ones in there, and I have absolutely no issue with that whatsoever. Well due Hugh!

The issue with the large suppliers dumping the veg the supermarkets dont want. I imagine thats down to the deal the farmer has with the supermarket. For the security of a regular high volume order the farmer will have more than likely had to sign an exclusivity agreement of some sort, preventing him from selling the stuff the supermarkets reject to other sources.
So the wonky parnsips get destroyed rather than sold at farmers markets etc.

Still can't see why its not flogged off as animal feed , but that may not be cost effective

Hugh F-W (Monday BBC) was a lot about parsnips as well, terrible waste of good veggies. I thought the KFC person handled everything very well with the waste stuffs (2 million chickens per year!) compared to the poor PR from Morrisons.
The recycling story lines from the estate in Manchester just showed how dumb too many people are on food, waste and general life skills.
All fairly interesting, very annoying but educational.

Best before doesn't mean it can't be consumed after that date. It just means that it won't be at its best. Throwing something away at that date isn't "religiously following", it is just not understanding what it means.

If something has a "use by" date then you need to be more careful.

Best before doesn't mean it can't be consumed after that date. It just means that it won't be at its best. Throwing something away at that date isn't "religiously following", it is just not understanding what it means.

If something has a "use by" date then you need to be more careful.

Agreed. My old mum used to cut the mould off a lump of cheese and give us the rest. Didn't do me any harm. :unsure:

Yeah obviously with meat and certain other foods you should follow 'use by dates', which is why planning meals is good.

My wife is actually pretty good at that. Every week she works out a menu for the coming week, and only buys what we need. The upside is that it means our weekly shop (for four of us) rarely goes over £80. (I reckon we could even reduce that...) The downside is that by the end of the week our fridge is pretty empty!

Back