• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Would have bitten your hand off for that result before the game, just a shame after going 2-0 up and throwing it away with some awful set piece defending. Protected the lead late on but rightly so as they were all over us.

Bentley at fault for the first, though could easily say that it should already have been dealt with by the time it got to him. Thompson and Barrett both looked in a mess for the second, which is even more worrying given that Bolger and Prosser didn't look much better as of late.

My ratings (based on watching the game online)
Bentley 6 One costly error but redeemed himself with another great save in the second half which looked a certain goal
White 6.5 Struggled with JCR's pace and skill at times but generally did okay
Thompson 6 Looked rusty, to be expected given the amount of time he's been out but that comes down to Brown's decision to play him twice in a week
Barrett 6.5 Started well but not the cool and experienced head he usually is
Coker 6.5 Fairly regular and average performance, defended well and did get forward but not his usual impact
Worrall 6.5 Bursts of pace and threats but inconsistent and sloppy in possession at times
Atkinson 5.5 Offers nothing, lost possession regularly, didn't protect the back four nor offered much going forward
Leonard 8 Best performance I've seen from him in a long time and a great goal, threw himself into every tackle
Hurst 6 What we've come to expect from him, which unfortunately is not a lot
Payne 7 Energetic and caused problems for them when he ran at them, well taken goal and superb movement
Mooney 6 Not a target man, and not really a lone striker, struggled to have any real influence

Subs
Pigott 6 Barely had any influence on the game
Weston 6.5 Put himself about but with little reward
Timlin 6.5 Made things a bit more solid defensively but looked to get forward

Looking back that feels quite harsh, as it's a great point, but they really aren't very good.

Shame to give up a two goal lead again, but a draw a decent result, seeing as they also hit the post 3 times.

We looked brilliant in the first half...great stuff. Shame re the nature of the goals we let in, but as has been said, we'd have all taken that before. Leonard had a good game as did the back four, apart from the set pieces for the goals. Payne was outstanding too in the first half. Onwards and upwards!

Im happy with that, a point away to Sheffield is what i hoped for before the game

After being 2-0 the lads may be disappointed to end up with a draw. If they watch the video they will be rather glad they got that much. I was only able to watch the live streaming and hats off to the lad that tipped us about that. What a game.

At times, particularly in the first 30 mins, we played some very good, neat, competitive football and showed we are more than capable of performing at this level. The game was a good advert for lg 1 football.

I'm afraid Mr. Clean Sheets needs to go back to the drawing board. At times the defence looked calm and in control and then they would appear to have a mix of panic/comedy of errors/woefulness.

Watching the Blues is as frustrating as being a casanova that has had his todger lopped off!

We were not defensive and as the away team I think we gave a good account of forward play. The second half was less adventurous but that was mainly due to the blades taking a firmer hold on the match.

The ref, for me, allowed the game to flow and was unfussy. He made it a better spectacle.

The players all worked hard and should not be too disappointed or ungrateful for getting a point.

I do not understand why so many balls forward are played to feet when the man has his back to goal? Also, something very common, the times Coker receives the ball, checks and then plays backwards? Weston may as well have stayed at home.

A good point and definite evidence that we do have the ability in this division and a few tweaks could see us surge.

A footnote; Thank god JCR seems a yard slower than when we had him!

I thought Barrett was great, and best game by Leonard for ages. Thompson showed he's still rusty and was out of position at vital times, meaning Barrett had to work overtime. Payne was good and very lively first half but faded.
Can't wait for the Bolger-Barrett partnership to resume. Then we will be more solid at the back. Mooney again showed why he is no good on his own up front.

After being 2-0 the lads may be disappointed to end up with a draw. If they watch the video they will be rather glad they got that much. I was only able to watch the live streaming and hats off to the lad that tipped us about that. What a game.

At times, particularly in the first 30 mins, we played some very good, neat, competitive football and showed we are more than capable of performing at this level. The game was a good advert for lg 1 football.

I'm afraid Mr. Clean Sheets needs to go back to the drawing board. At times the defence looked calm and in control and then they would appear to have a mix of panic/comedy of errors/woefulness.

Watching the Blues is as frustrating as being a casanova that has had his todger lopped off!

We were not defensive and as the away team I think we gave a good account of forward play. The second half was less adventurous but that was mainly due to the blades taking a firmer hold on the match.

The ref, for me, allowed the game to flow and was unfussy. He made it a better spectacle.

The players all worked hard and should not be too disappointed or ungrateful for getting a point.

I do not understand why so many balls forward are played to feet when the man has his back to goal? Also, something very common, the times Coker receives the ball, checks and then plays backwards? Weston may as well have stayed at home.

A good point and definite evidence that we do have the ability in this division and a few tweaks could see us surge.

A footnote; Thank god JCR seems a yard slower than when we had him!

Quality post, with many valid points... However that line, surely has to make the top 10 one liners in the annual "Shrimperzone posts" award. I couldnt have summed it up better myself.

image.jpg
Great shot of the 1,060 who travelled.

I thought Barrett was great, and best game by Leonard for ages. Thompson showed he's still rusty and was out of position at vital times, meaning Barrett had to work overtime. Payne was good and very lively first half but faded.
Can't wait for the Bolger-Barrett partnership to resume. Then we will be more solid at the back. Mooney again showed why he is no good on his own up front.

Barrett left his man for the second goal

So my first match of the season. And witnessed two amazing goals and some quality support from the away blues faithful in a great stadium. Spoke to some Sheff utd fans before the game and said the lowest attendance of season was 19000.
Couldnt quite believe we let the lead slip so easy, but by the end of the game think we were pretty lucky with a point. Think the woodwork saved us 3 times in the second half, although Worrall could have stolen it for us had he finished his dinner and not blaze it over the bar.
Would like to see Boldger come back in for next game, thompson heads the ball all over the show, plus Boldger gives us that extra height. Leonard was quality today. Forwards never looked like scoring, a problem that needs to be resolved in january if possible. Would have taken a point before and adter the second half have to say its a decent result. UTB

Match report: Sheffield United 2, Southend United 2

SOUTHEND United let slip a two goal lead to draw 2-2 at Sheffield United this afternoon.

More...

The link I watched the game showed that goal about ten times during the break from all angles. Barrett was left with 2 men in front of him and one behind him, who scored. Thompson should have been with the 2 in front or the one behind.

Worrall left his man and Barratt left his, trying to reach Worrall's man. However, he was never going to get there.

Barrett left his man for the second goal

Being as he had a choice of 3, I think that's harsh!

Big thanks for the tip off for live streaming, meant many more of us could see it. Looked to be a well reffed game. Payne and Leonard looked to be our stand out players. Thought Hurst did ok to be fair. We have to work out what the heck is wrong in defence, and we have to have Timlin start above Atkinson.

Not going to give ratings, don't think that's fair from the streaming view.

An important point to remember, not a single team has kept a clean sheet at Sheffield United's ground all season, and in the league they have scored 19 goals in 9 matches.

Being as he had a choice of 3, I think that's harsh!

Big thanks for the tip off for live streaming, meant many more of us could see it. Looked to be a well reffed game. Payne and Leonard looked to be our stand out players. Thought Hurst did ok to be fair. We have to work out what the heck is wrong in defence, and we have to have Timlin start above Atkinson.

Not going to give ratings, don't think that's fair from the streaming view.

Watch it again. He didn't have three men to mark, he was marking one and left him.

I love Barrett but he was at fault..

You could argue that Barratt could have stayed closer for the second goal where their bloke was left pretty clear yet again in our 6 yard box. However I felt though that we were constantly being dragged across towards Campbell- Ryce who played well and was given far too much space. Not one of the skippers better games as he sat off him quite a bit. Also noticed Worrell ball watching quite a bit in defence .
Was also surprised just how often Coker lost the ball today, first touch going astray and as Onceknownasrab said turned backwards more time than I have ever noticed before, frequently allowing them to keep us on the back foot and laying off some poor passes which is unusual for Coker. Wondered if Whites injury just had him off his game, he was outstanding against Gills and a tricky winger, but today looked like a huge pitch and they used the width exceptionally well especially in the second half

I was not quite as lucky on the streaming front. Only got it going for the second half and then it froze on me with 10 minutes to go. I listened to most of it on Essex Radio. the bit I did see made me think that we were second best to the ball nearly every time, unable to clear our lines cleanly and we had goal posts that were charmed beyond belief. Because I didn't witness the opening half an hour it would be unfair of me to base my opinion entirely on what I saw..........but we really do have to crack the defensive frailties and take our chances when they happen.

Upfront, poor old Mooney. Must be knackered , although not quite as energetic as I have seen him so far this season. A number of long balls pumped forward, where in the main he was out jumped by a lump at the back, but managed the odd neat flick on, one which nearly resulted in a goal. He clearly has a football brain and is a wholehearted footballer but is not really a lonesome target man, even Bazza Corr was better at this. I noted that twice he was through but also didnt have the pace to go on and score. This really needs addressing if we are to progress in this league as a couple of neat balls were actually played through for a change. Not much more from Piggy coming on, although slightly better at holding up the ball and he will get better as he develops. Still massively short on the striking front. When will this ever get addressed? Poor old Williams , not even on the bench to experience the atmosphere of 20,000 at a great ground?

Back