• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I don't know what time warp you live in Bkdside, but to suggest that football, even at Southend, is a working class sport is a truth from long ago but not now. There are all shades of society that watch football, especially Southend.

Football is is a working class sport. Just because we have the ridiculous EPL that only the rich can afford to attend and money in it doesn't change that. It gets viewed as a working class sport by the government and authorities hense the segregation and no drinking in the ground rules....that in comparison to rugby should show how it's viewed.

That sounds a much better idea OBL. :thumbsup:Turn it the other way round. Then all the older generation and families know that they won't get people standing in front of them. However, how would the clubs suggest that when people aren't supposed to be standing anyway ? Certainly worth asking the question for the future

That sounds a much better idea OBL. :thumbsup:Turn it the other way round. Then all the older generation and families know that they won't get people standing in front of them. However, how would the clubs suggest that when people aren't supposed to be standing anyway ? Certainly worth asking the question for the future
Could have been done easily yesterday too, keep the east stand for families and people like us and let everyone else in the main stand.

I will take it forward to the club as a suggestion, so watch this space.

Last edited:
The problem with trying to do that yesterday was we didn't get the west stand seats until we had sold our intial allocation

The problem with trying to do that yesterday was we didn't get the west stand seats until we had sold our intial allocation

No, I know, but it was obvious to everyone that we'd need more than the away stand. We saw the old boy who had been knocked over, was made to walk with his missus fully half way round the ground for treatment, then came back, then was moved over to the "safer" seats in the east stand.

I have to say that the "segregation stuff" on the front two rows was totally pointless, those who got onto the pitch did so via the gangways and the concourse. I was surprised that people weren't told to disperse from the concourse.

Last edited:
Could have been done easily yesterday too, keep the west stand for families and people like us and let everyone else in the main stand.

I will take it forward to the club as a suggestion, so watch this space.

Do you mean the East Stand ? I was in E1. I think we had E1 and E2 which would have been ideal, but as has been pointed out they were only on sale after we had sold out the North Stand. Perhaps Block N1 and N5 of the North Stand could have been sitting only, so that the singers in the middle could stand.

I have to say that the "segregation stuff" on the front two rows was totally pointless, those who got onto the pitch did so via the gangways and the concourse. I was surprised that people weren't told to disperse from the concourse.

Agreed. Totally pointless when supporters just ran down the gangways. We could have sold another 100 or so tickets !! :sad:

Do you mean the East Stand ? I was in E1. I think we had E1 and E2 which would have been ideal, but as has been pointed out they were only on sale after we had sold out the North Stand. Perhaps Block N1 and N5 of the North Stand could have been sitting only, so that the singers in the middle could stand.

Possibly!!! :blush:

I thought we were in the South, but, of course, we weren't!!! You know the stand I mean though. :winking:

Imagine the atmosphere at a football match without a drum/people standing? Yes your dad was unfortunately inconvenienced but if it was that bad you could have moved to empty seats towards the front?

I travel to the majority of away games and always stand, that's not going to change because every man and his dog manage to get tickets to Colchester!

I hate drums and bands at football matches, my son in law is a Wolves fan they are totally banned at their ground as they should be in all grounds, Amercan crap invented for fans who can't make an atmosphere on their own merits.

Possibly!!! :blush:

I thought we were in the South, but, of course, we weren't!!! You know the stand I mean though. :winking:

Ha ha OBL the South used to be the away end, it was last time you visited the WHCS but a few seasons ago now they switched it so away fans are in the North stand. This is because the security/Police box at the top of the South stand now has a much better view of you naughty away fans!

Lower League football really does need to get a grip of this standing thing in seated stands. I must admit that I stand up if those in front of me are standing, so I can see the game. But I feel so sorry for those around me that can't stand up, or can't stand for long. It really isn't fair on those that wish to watch the football on seats. That's what the seats are for.
Tomorrow, you will see the problem at it's worst, as nearly all the Millwall will stay standing. The stewards as usual, will not be able to make them sit down.
I absolutely understand that a lot of fans prefer to stand, but the two don't mix, and this is where it needs sorting out.

In the future, if we play Col Ewes away again next time, I like to think Season Tickets holder/non-season should only purchase 2 tickets each person, so we don't get into the situation where there are empty seat dotted in the away end, they could have good reason why they can't make it. Yesterday, with my mates & I sat in West Stand in W2, while looking at the empty seat in frustration as I rather be over there & join the sing song & to celebrate our goals. One guy on Southend Utd forum (created by Chris Phillip) named Aaron Cross was touting 4 tickets for away end for £180 then push up to £250 3 hours before kick off, make me wonder where the f*** he got all 4 tickets from and is a disgrace. Anyway I had to be quiet like most of Southend fans sitting with :COL U: fans and I only can :whistling: when White & Mooney score!

I am a STH and was only allowed to purchase 1 ticket for Col U !!!

Ha ha OBL the South used to be the away end, it was last time you visited the WHCS but a few seasons ago now they switched it so away fans are in the North stand. This is because the security/Police box at the top of the South stand now has a much better view of you naughty away fans!

I've been to the ground twice before yesterday so had sat at both ends, just got them mixed in my comments - oops! :blush:

Spot on. Working class sport. Sit down the front stand near the back and don't ever compare this beautiful game to some trip to the theatre FFS.

Spare me the inverted snobbery.

Once upon a time, certainly. Players earned up to £20 a week and travelled to matches on the bus with the fans. Factories and other works closed Saturday lunchtime and the working class headed for the match (without feeling the need to sing obscenities throughout it).

Times have changed. Players at the top level are obscenely wealthy and the game is now for families to enjoy as much as the "working class". Men, women and children all are (should be) welcome. Working class ? The new euphemism for those who want to behave in a manner generally not tolerated outside of a football ground and act with no consideration to others.

I have no problem with standing at a football ground (well, actually I do physically, but I mean the concept),

All grounds could benefit from standing and seating areas - you pays your money and takes your choice. However when that situation doesn't exist and the club have been unwilling to segregate an area (as they have at Roots Hall) for standing it really is quite selfish to stand throughout and block the view of those less able to stand.

hmm I wonder how many Millwall fans will sit down tomorrow !!! ???

not many, but then they never have been known to have any respect for anyone or anything, including their fellow fans it would seem. dont judge people by their standards...

so what about virtually every premiership/championship side that plays away from home ??
or don't they count either ??

hmm I wonder how many Millwall fans will sit down tomorrow !!! ???

I mentioned that in #33 post. Our stewards never try and make any Millwall sit down, but I've seen them be very heavy handed when dealing with a very small bunch of away fans that have travelled about 400 miles down. Millwall can do what they like it seems.

Back