• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Paignton

DTS

The Business
Has anyone ever been to Paignton in Devon

Mrs DtS and I are off to the Algarve in the summer and now we are thinking we might have a few days of British "Sunshine" in August too and we somehow seem to have come up with Paignton in Devon as it has a beach, zoo and waterpark.

Anyone got any experience of the place?

Thanks
DtS

Nice place and plenty to do locally and driving out. A car is a must though. Good fishing trips as well if you are into that.

Would say Paignton zoo is probably the best zoo I have visited. The steam train from Paignton to Dartmouth is well worth the scenery on a nice day and Dartmouth is a great little town (though not much to do for kids). Lots of good cafes and ice cream places. Dont know what the beach is like but most of the beaches in Devon are of a high standard. Would say some of it looks a bit run down but you can probably say that about most seaside resorts.

Might want to look up how it's pronounced before you go - suspect (but have no idea if it's right) that it's Painton.

We stayed in Torquay a few years back when we last played down there I think, lovely guest house but town a bit dead out of season. Then, two years ago, we stayed in Brixham en route to Cornwall. Lovely places to eat and a vibrant harbour. Can't say either were particularly attractive to young children though. If you can push on a bit then Woolacombe is fab (top rated beach in the country) and stuff to do nearby, ditto Croyde.

Has anyone ever been to Paignton in Devon

Mrs DtS and I are off to the Algarve in the summer and now we are thinking we might have a few days of British "Sunshine" in August too and we somehow seem to have come up with Paignton in Devon as it has a beach, zoo and waterpark.

Anyone got any experience of the place?

Thanks
DtS

Try Goodrington Sands, it's a 2 minute drive from Paignton or a 15 minute walk around the cliffs. The waterpark is actually in Goodrington Sands. There is a beach with Red sand, a pub, a boating lake but not a lot else, but everything is just a short drive away.

If you are looking to stay B&B, the Wentworth guest House is just the job. Alan and Perri run in and are a lovely couple. If you want hotel with all the trimmings, probably Torquay

Try Goodrington Sands, it's a 2 minute drive from Paignton or a 15 minute walk around the cliffs. The waterpark is actually in Goodrington Sands. There is a beach with Red sand, a pub, a boating lake but not a lot else, but everything is just a short drive away.

If you are looking to stay B&B, the Wentworth guest House is just the job. Alan and Perri run in and are a lovely couple. If you want hotel with all the trimmings, probably Torquay

I used to go to Goodrington as a kid.

I loved the way the cliffs were lit up at night.

Last edited:
Ok here's some suggestions. In-laws lived between Paignton and Torquay for 15 years so I was down regularly in and out of season. Obviously I have no idea what floats your boat. Here's what floated mine and the family over the years

Beaches. Goodrington no question. Maidencombe beach.
Cockington
Brixham if you like seafood
Two steam railways both good. I prefer the South Devon Totnes to Buckfastleigh one
Zoo
Model Village if you have kids
Kents Cavern
Trago Mills may interest Mrs
See who is on at Torquay Pavillion. It always seemed to be Jim bloody Davidson!

Further afield. Dartmoor is a must, Becky Falls, Widdecombe
Moorwellham Quay might interest you
Pennywell Farm if you have young kids
Seaton Tramway
Exeter isn't the worst town in the world

Ok here's some suggestions. In-laws lived between Paignton and Torquay for 15 years so I was down regularly in and out of season. Obviously I have no idea what floats your boat. Here's what floated mine and the family over the years

Cockington
Two steam railways both good. I prefer the South Devon Totnes to Buckfastleigh one
Zoo
Kents Cavern

Seaton Tramway

Trago Mills was great in the 80s. Now it's full of UKIP flags, dodgy pound shops and cheap merch.

and the Babbacomb model village was also great in the 70s/80s, sadly it can be done in an hour and its pretty dated.

Sidmouth was good - for some reason they had proper wrestling (with rings and costumes) in some pub gardens

Dartmoor is cool, if a bit desolate. The beaches are OK - Dawlish was the pick of the bunch.

Cockington
Zoo
Kents Cavern

Seaton Tramway

Cannot rep you again as did recently but thanks for all this. Will do some googling tonight.

Back