• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
While I was watching Iceland and Hungary yesterday I was fascinated by the various colours and styles of football boot today's player wear. It also got me thinking back to what my first pair of boots looked like. When I went to infants school you weren't allowed to play organised football until you were in your final year before junior school. This made my first year playing a proper match 1958. My boots looked similar to the picture below and I can still remember my old man nailing new studs into my boots when needed and giving them a regular 'good' coat of dubbin.

As boots developed so did mine with a pair of black Adidas boots with the three stripes being my next prized possession. But I cannot forget my first pair complete with hard toe cap which enabled me to develop my treasured toe punt tactic. This remained part of my game for a very long time as a centre half that always wanted to be a centre forward. One thing is for certain from my first pair of boots until they finally got hung up I did not suffer from some of the foot injuries that players get today, simply because boots then were built to protect the foot. I'll stop now because that last bit sounded a bit old.

images

So, what were your first pair like?

My first boots,i think my my Mum got from Pollards & Knights((67)..crap..my Mum knew naught about football,but brand new,smelt great,...in the end got a used pair of Alan Ball white boots,great, then swaped then(with my mate Steve) for a pair of George Best Boots

My first boots,i think my my Mum got from Pollards & Knights((67)..crap..my Mum knew naught about football,but brand new,smelt great,...in the end got a used pair of Alan Ball white boots,great, then swaped then(with my mate Steve) for a pair of George Best Boots

Geogie Best boot's they were maroon and were laced up on the side .

The George best boots were Stylo matchmakers.
They also made a cheap pair of plastic boots iirc.
I seem to recall Steve Perryman endorsing a pair of boots here the front studs were on a a plate which revolved. It said they helped with quick turns...
My first boots c1965 were a pair of "bata bombers" old fashion style with a hard yellow toecap...

My first pair I bought were the George Best cheap ones advertised by him on TV. They were Black, long and thin torpedo like, with a red lining inside. I got them from the Army & Navy store Westcliff. They were absolutely useless (or was it me?).

They are the ones !! dreadful things

The flash ones
View attachment 4102

The other ones
View attachment 4103

Thanks for that. A bit like image 2, the other ones. Mine were the first version. Black all over including the soles that were plastic injection molded as your image. Red lining, and a George Best signature on the side near the back. The inside had no filling or protection, so they were really uncomfortable. Terribly made, but we didn't know any different in those days, as a few kids had the hand me down steel toecap ones shown in the opening post. I didn't support Man U, but loved the way George Best played, so bought the boots after watching the commercial, that said something like, ''If you want to play like George Best, buy these.'' Firstly they were nothing like the proper boots that he played in, and secondly they were very stiff plastic things that made it harder to play good.

Thanks for that. A bit like image 2, the other ones. Mine were the first version. Black all over including the soles that were plastic injection molded as your image. Red lining, and a George Best signature on the side near the back. The inside had no filling or protection, so they were really uncomfortable. Terribly made, but we didn't know any different in those days, as a few kids had the hand me down steel toecap ones shown in the opening post. I didn't support Man U, but loved the way George Best played, so bought the boots after watching the commercial, that said something like, ''If you want to play like George Best, buy these.'' Firstly they were nothing like the proper boots that he played in, and secondly they were very stiff plastic things that made it harder to play good.

Actually I think mine were black soles as well horrible things

Whilst looking for the pictures I came across those boots with the numbers on them , Bata Power points, another blast from the past

Back