• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Good to see the train companies doing something positive like this to encourage people to travel by train to games.

Shame our eternally useless commercial department didn't see fit to publicise this offer in the same manner as West Ham have, seemingly hijacking all Essex press (as per usual) to announce this offer to great fanfare...

It wouldn't surprise me if West Ham get money from Children In Need and Comic Relief this season as well.

It has been mentioned on Social Media, among great outcry, that Wet Sham fans can get cheaper match-day train travel.

The good news is, so can we--- provided you are using the Liverpool St line.

More details here.

https://www.abelliogreateranglia.co.uk/offers/football-travel-offers/southend-united-ticket-offer

good offer , but I really dont understand our train prices . If my daughter booked an advanced ticket from Wckford to Birmingham Uni (train to Liverpool street- tube to Eustom, Euston to Birmingham , Birmingham to Uni), it is cheaper than booking an advanced ticket from Wickford to Liverpool Street - work that out !

Train tickets are a mystery that very few have mastered. It is pretty much deliberate as well to ensure maximum profit for the companies. Most train firms are shysters, they will have special offers and deals that they try very hard not to publicise.

good offer , but I really dont understand our train prices . If my daughter booked an advanced ticket from Wckford to Birmingham Uni (train to Liverpool street- tube to Eustom, Euston to Birmingham , Birmingham to Uni), it is cheaper than booking an advanced ticket from Wickford to Liverpool Street - work that out !

Easy, cheap advance fares are not available on the two main commuter routes into London, whereas they are on longer journeys. If you want to book an advanced ticket from Wickford to Liverpool Street book one to Birmingham Uni (or better still somewhere nearer and cheaper) and don't complete the journey.

Easy, cheap advance fares are not available on the two main commuter routes into London, whereas they are on longer journeys. If you want to book an advanced ticket from Wickford to Liverpool Street book one to Birmingham Uni (or better still somewhere nearer and cheaper) and don't complete the journey.

thanks for stating the blindingly obvious. It still doesn't explain why its like this- it makes no sense to me.

Several thousand will travel up to the Olympic Stadium next season whereas rather less will make the reverse journey so I can understand the emphasis. Wouldn't have hurt to mention the Southend option as well though.
I would say it's unforgivable for a local paper not to mention this.

thanks for stating the blindingly obvious. It still doesn't explain why its like this- it makes no sense to me.

I guess most of their trains are reasonably full (some commuters might say over full) much of the time. You can actually get good reductions on c2c if you buy a week in advance, mid-week, off-peak - not much good if you're in Wickford !

They probably didn't know - the article is clearly written on the back of a request from West Ham to have the promotion advertised. It's not far short of an advert.

SUFC should be promoting this everywhere. That they haven't isn't the fault of either West Ham or the Echo - unless you know that the Echo are aware that Southend fans have the same access to this reduction and deliberately refused to mention it.

They probably didn't know - the article is clearly written on the back of a request from West Ham to have the promotion advertised. It's not far short of an advert.

SUFC should be promoting this everywhere. That they haven't isn't the fault of either West Ham or the Echo - unless you know that the Echo are aware that Southend fans have the same access to this reduction and deliberately refused to mention it.

how much effort would it have been for the guy at the Echo to have clicked on the link and seen that this wasn't just for West Ham supporters. Would have taken all of 2 seconds. So yes this is the fault of the Echo. Arn't journalists meant to check their facts, clicking on the website allowed them to check the facts which also clearly shows the offer includes SUFC. As you said its effectively just an advert, it should not be made to look like 'jounalism' when its an advert

Last edited:
I find it particularly puzzling we're not promoting this considering the club's drive to get 8,000 plus through the gate this year. If it wasn't for my outrage in reading about the Spammers on the Echo website I would never have known about it, I'll be using it as I travel by train from Witham.

how much effort would ahve been for the guy at the Echo to have clicked on the link and seen that this wasn't just for West Ham supporters. Would have taken all of 2 seconds. So yes this is the fault of the Echo. Arn't journalists meant to check their facts, clicking on the website allowed them to check the facts which also clearly shows the offer includes SUFC. As you said its effectively just an advert, it should not be made to look like 'jounalism' when its an advert

Steady. You'll be expecting them to spell words correctly and construct grammatically correct sentences next. :omg:

It has been mentioned on Social Media, among great outcry, that Wet Sham fans can get cheaper match-day train travel.

The good news is, so can we--- provided you are using the Liverpool St line.

More details here.

https://www.abelliogreateranglia.co.uk/offers/football-travel-offers/southend-united-ticket-offer

Not quite good news, it seems this pay in advance deal is a bit of a sham.

As we play most of our games on a Saturday, fans using this line to attend Roots Hall for a home game, or using the line to travel into London and beyond for an away game..... I'm afraid I have a bit of bad news..

On the weekends of 3rd/4th & 10th/11th of September, the line will be closed between Wickford & Southend,

& a lot worse news will be that the Line will be blocked every weekend between Shenfield all the way into London Liverpool Street from September 17th until November 6th.

So it looks like it will be another couple of months of "Bus Replacement Hell".

Full article here..
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/146...ocked_for_two_months_at_weekends/?ref=mr&lp=3

Not quite good news, it seems this pay in advance deal is a bit of a sham.

As we play most of our games on a Saturday, fans using this line to attend Roots Hall for a home game, or using the line to travel into London and beyond for an away game..... I'm afraid I have a bit of bad news..

On the weekends of 3rd/4th & 10th/11th of September, the line will be closed between Wickford & Southend,

& a lot worse news will be that the Line will be blocked every weekend between Shenfield all the way into London Liverpool Street from September 17th until November 6th.

So it looks like it will be another couple of months of "Bus Replacement Hell".

Full article here..
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/146...ocked_for_two_months_at_weekends/?ref=mr&lp=3

Well, at least I tried.

Wouldn't have thought that many people come from beyond Shenfield to the Hall though, so most people will be OK.

Back