• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DSC_1100.jpg

OK, there appears to be an appetite for a bit of nostalgia and whenever Chesterfield (or Port Vale) roll in to town I am always reminded of that time we played both at home at Roots within 24 hours.

Vale were first up and dispatched 5-0 thanks to a Guthrie hatrick and a brace from everyone's favourite - Billy Best.

Then Chesterfield rolled in to town and were cuffed 5-1, Guthrie and Best getting two each and Moore netting the other.

How good was that? "Must go to football more often" I instructed Mum when Dad brought me home after the second game. "We always win easily." Mmmmm

It was Easter and so it had always been the plan to play both games on the bounce. Today's footballers would cry at the thought (bar Barrett but it would prob finish him doing it).

A couple of interesting bits from the prog:

- Tommy Horsfall's wonder goal from the previous home match gets a worthy mention when on his debut he beat four men to score the third. I remember that!

- There is an article on Mr AE Smith who had followed Southend since ...... 1906!

Oh, and the programme has that lovely musty smell. Am a little high now. :stunned:

Was at both those games, and my brother also took me to see West Ham v Soton on the Saturday morning (I was too young to know better, but I did get to see Bobby Moore and Mick Channon play...) which was 4-3. I am confident I will never see anything like that number of goals in a weekend again...

Only two home games I missed that season....you couldn't make it up.
Was on holiday in Bormes-les- Mimosas in France...and seeing the results initially with such joy- which turned to such frustration and envy of those lucky souls at The Hall.

Was at both those games, and my brother also took me to see West Ham v Soton on the Saturday morning (I was too young to know better, but I did get to see Bobby Moore and Mick Channon play...) which was 4-3. I am confident I will never see anything like that number of goals in a weekend again...

I'm sure you won't ! Good memories. Are you sure the West Ham game wasn't on the Friday ?

As well as a future Southend manager you saw two future Southend players in that match.

I'm sure you won't ! Good memories. Are you sure the West Ham game wasn't on the Friday ?

As well as a future Southend manager you saw two future Southend players in that match.

Frank Lampard Senior and....?

Was at both those games as well.The Chesterfield game,played on my birthday:It was always something special, when i could watch the Blues play on my birthday.
OK,the 2 home games,friday &saturday..but where did we play on monday??
Loved those days at easter as well...3 games in 4 days...it would break the bank now.
The best easter for me was 71-72, ..think it was Lincoln away friday,saturday at home to Chester???then we were off to Southport on the monday...and as for the PROG smell..its the same with me..wish they would do a aftershave smelling like that

Or was it Doni at home ..71-72?? does not really matter...but were more than happy days

Looked it up :-

31st March 1972 v Doncaster Rovers (Home) WON 2-1 (Garner, Best) .. 15,814 .. I was at that game.
1st April 1972 v Lincoln City (Away) DREW 0-0 .. 12,199
3rd April 1972 v Southport (Away) WON 1-0 (Moore) .. 3,320

West Ham - Saints was Good Friday morning - I was there too. 12 goals in a day never to be surpassed!
Followed by 6 the next day. Those were the days of 5 forwards and just a manager and a trainer - none of these coaches and directors of football that are around these days.

Was at both those games as well.The Chesterfield game,played on my birthday:It was always something special, when i could watch the Blues play on my birthday.
OK,the 2 home games,friday &saturday..but where did we play on monday??
Loved those days at easter as well...3 games in 4 days...it would break the bank now

Lost 2-1 at Halifax on the Tuesday evening!

Don't know how today's players would cope with 3 games in 4 days. 2 in a week is 1 too many for a lot of them!

View attachment 4325

Then Chesterfield rolled in to town and were cuffed 5-1, Guthrie and Best getting two each and Moore netting the other.

King Billy Best's last goals at Roots Hall . :Worthy::Worthy::Worthy:

-
Just like to add that Billy Best's last league goal for Southend was scored a week after the 2 home games(as above)at Rochdale on the 28th.April 1973, however we still had to play home and away against Colchester United in the Essex Professional Cup Final in early May with us winning 3-1 at Layer Road with goals from Billy Best(2) & Gary Moore netting the other & in the return match a few days later Southend clinched the trophy with a 4-2 home win(7-3 aggregate) with goals again being scored by Billy Best(2),Gary Moore & Peter"Spud"Taylor. Billy Best left at the end of that season to return to Northampton Town having scored 12 league and cup goals that season. Billy then spent five more seasons with the Cobblers. He did however return to play at Roots Hall in his final season of 1977-78 both in the league and league cup scoring against Southend at the County Ground. Billy was released at the end of that season joining Bedford Town before their demise in 1981-82.

Was at Billys game v us..13.8.77..cannot remember that,but just dug out the prog...not much about him in the Npton opposition file,but he there 2nd highest scorer.and a hat-trick v Lincoln.
Would like to think we would make much MORE of a fuss now when OUR best ever player returned..even if was playing for our "oppos"

DSC_1101.jpgDSC_1102.jpgDSC_1103.jpg

And just found in my collection the separate massive 4 pager the club turned out for the Chesterfield game in '73 as a 2p supplement. Mr Brabbing - is this the one you said today would be worth millions due to it's rarity? If so coud you clarify your bid please?:smile:

View attachment 4334View attachment 4335View attachment 4336

And just found in my collection the separate massive 4 pager the club turned out for the Chesterfield game in '73 as a 2p supplement. Mr Brabbing - is this the one you said today would be worth millions due to it's rarity? If so coud you clarify your bid please?:smile:

Wasnt there a double programme for Chesterfield and Port Vale games , the rarest programme that I have come across is the Southend v Millwall friendly programme from August 71 .

Back