• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Our fixtures are still coming thick and fast and next up we are away to Stevenage FC in the Checkatrade Trophy on Tuesday night.

Another one of these matches which divides opinion, but nevertheless it's a first team competitive fixture. The table currently looks like this and Stevenage is our last group G game.

#
Team
Pl
W
D
L
F
A
GD
Pts
Last 6
Southend United
Leyton Orient
Brighton U21
Stevenage
Another chance to go to Wembley after last night's departure from the FA Cup maybe?

I reckon there will be some major changes to the team to preserve players for Saturday, probably Barrett will get some game time and maybe Teddy Smith, Bridge and Kiprianou as well. If we don't use this fixture to give fringe players playing time, then PB will be missing a trick.

2-0 to Southend.

Will Stevenage bother to turn up and play? The competition is a joke and they're already out of it.

Give a few more players a run out.

Definate starts for Ted timlin white sokalik Barrett kyprianou williams mcglashan etc

Will the idiot give Williams the entire 90....prob won't even play him.

I would like to see Jack Bridge given a longer run out this time rather than the last 10 minutes he got against B'Orient back in October.

We're already through to the next round so one up front (probably Williams) is the way to go, with our lack of fit strikers risking both Cox and Fortune for a pointless fixture would be madness.

Can't make too many changes due to the rules.

Maximum of 5 isn't it since out last league game starting XI? (Shrewsbury)

In which case 2 of those changes have already been forced upon on us since, what with Ferdinand injured & Demetriou away on international duty.

Actually a genuine question for those in the know.. do clubs get special dispensation for players that cant play due to injury or international call ups, suspensions etc?
In other words, could we actually make 7 changes against Stevenage due to circumstances out of a clubs control to field those players for the upcoming match. I'm guessing there is a rule in place that would permit it, but I can't find a definitive answer through their official rules & regulations.
I did read that we can opt for our (5) most capped players instead of the last 5 league game players that was in the starting XI. But that doesn't make much difference, as they are generally our starting 11 anyway.

Can't see Barrett playing, but can see Timlin doing so.

Smith
O'Neill, Sokolik, White, Kyprianou
McGlashan, Timlin, Leonard, McLaughlin
Fortuné, Cox

Can't see Barrett playing, but can see Timlin doing so.

Smith
O'Neill, Sokolik, White, Kyprianou
McGlashan, Timlin, Leonard, McLaughlin
Fortuné, Cox

I think that isn't permitted as it would be 8 player changes from the Shrewsbury line up. Although I must, I do like your defensive line up.. should on paper be more than capable against Stevenage.

I think Phil would play something similar, and play for the draw for 7 a point finish and get a 2nd place team in the next round.

Will Stevenage bother to turn up and play? The competition is a joke and they're already out of it.

Don't think so (just referring to final bit).

A big (at least 3 goals) win for Stevenage, plus Brighton and Orient drawing and Brighton winning the penalty shoot out would leave all three teams on 4 points. Exciting stuff !

Don't think so (just referring to final bit).

A big (at least 3 goals) win for Stevenage, plus Brighton and Orient drawing and Brighton winning the penalty shoot out would leave all three teams on 4 points. Exciting stuff !

It's like the Krypton Factor. :dim:

Equally to many changes that I think our permitted, but I would'nt be surprised to see something like this:

....................Smith

White... Barrett...Sokolik.. Kyprianou

...................Leonard

McGlashin.......Timlin...... McLaughlin

..........................Bridge

..................Williams

With a sub bench, consisting of: Oxley, Cox, Fortune, Thompson, Wordsworth, Atkinson etc (if things go pear shaped & Mick's predictions happen) :smile:

Nathan Jones made 11 changes and there's no news yet on whether he will be fined. That story also mentions in a bit more detail about the rules :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37561406

I like these quotes:

It is unusual to see any player subbed off after three minutes without an injury, but Bradford replaced first-choice goalkeeper Colin Doyle with Rouven Sattelmaier that early in their match against Bury.
"He didn't have a particularly good first 45 seconds," Bradford assistant manager Kenny Black joked to BBC Radio Leeds.

and

Nathan Jones: "Premier League sides are allowed to develop their youngsters. I'm telling you, ours are better'.

Equally to many changes that I think our permitted, but I would'nt be surprised to see something like this:

With a sub bench, consisting of: Oxley, Cox, Fortune, Thompson, Wordsworth, Atkinson etc (if things go pear shaped & Mick's predictions happen) :smile:

If my possible scenario (as opposed to a prediction) happens things are far from pear-shaped; we've won the group. Try to keep up :winking:

I honestly would be surprised to see Barrett play again for us.

What makes this comp an even bigger farce is that some L1 andL2 clubs must play several first team players in meaningless games, for example the following are now dead rubbers as neither can qualify!

Middlesbrough u21 v Shrewsbury
Northampton v West Ham u21
WBA u21 v Gillingham

Back