• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Floval Flyer

Licensed to ill⭐
Last edited:
I was there! In the west stand when Freddie slid in triumph towards us after the goal. A magic night, and incredible after match atmosphere too outside the ground. Made me proud to be a Shrimper. COYBB

110/1 I got 1.0 and Eastwood to score

I think many other Shrimpers had that as a bet

Wonderful night, atmosphere better than Liverpool in 1979, small crowd obviously but atmosphere electric, first time the crowd became the 12th man from kick off to end of game

We all talk about Freddy being the hero, but me it was Flavs, absolutely outstanding, but then to be honest every player, sub, manager and crowd were just brilliant, one magic night and one magic bet

Didn't Fergie say "He would not score a better goal in his career", obviously did not do homework on young Freddy pre-match:smile:

110/1 I got 1.0 and Eastwood to score

I think many other Shrimpers had that as a bet

Wonderful night, atmosphere better than Liverpool in 1979, small crowd obviously but atmosphere electric, first time the crowd became the 12th man from kick off to end of game

We all talk about Freddy being the hero, but me it was Flavs, absolutely outstanding, but then to be honest every player, sub, manager and crowd were just brilliant, one magic night and one magic bet

Didn't Fergie say "He would not score a better goal in his career", obviously did not do homework on young Freddy pre-match:smile:

I remember that too, not sure if it was a bit of 'Fergie' sour grapes also?

Agree Flavs was awesome that evening, as were all of our boys. What i'd give to have Freddy 'of that time' in our team today !!

Last edited:
I remember that too, not sure if it was a bit Fergie of sour grapes also?

Agree Flavs was awesome that evening, as were all of our boys. What i'd give to have Freddy 'of that time' in our team today !!

Not just Freddy, but Simon Francis, Mark Gower, Flavs, Stevie Hammell.....

One of the best nights of my life. Still find it hard to believe that a United side containing Rooney and Ronaldo couldn't get past Efe Sodje and Spencer Prior in defence, and Peter Clarke in midfield.

I think about it around this time every year. Loved going into school the next morning and seeing all the gloryhunting Man United 'fans' pretending they didn't care. I'd like to think that the Man Utd players still remember that night.

When that went it, I though - at least we'll lose six ONE. At half time I though ooh! Three ONE! Then with 20 minutes to go I though - Hmm..maybe a draw? Then .. :happy::smiles::clap:

Oh and my mate Kev who always put £1 on Eastwood 1-0...didn't!

When that went it, I though - at least we'll lose six ONE. At half time I though ooh! Three ONE! Then with 20 minutes to go I though - Hmm..maybe a draw? Then .. :happy::smiles::clap:

Oh and my mate Kev who always put £1 on Eastwood 1-0...didn't!

Flavs and Eastwood got the headlines (and I'll always say that all of those shots were right at Flavs....) but Sodje and Prior were immense that evening. Didn't give United any real chances beyond Ronaldo pot-shots from 25 yards. Gower and JCR caused them no end of problems, especially in the first half.

Craziest to think how Peter Clarke played centre mid and that James Lawson played at all. For any of our younger fans who don't remember him, Lawson was a kid who literally won his place in the squad in a charity raffle. And he had to play the last 15 minutes up front against a back-line of Internationals.

Still annoyed that I had 4 pints before the game, that was a game to watch sober. Got well and truly hammered afterwards in Chicagos as it was then in Southend, got home threw up on my brand new stone island t-shirt which had to be thrown away. Then put the programme and ticket on ebay and it went for £45. I had the foresight to buy 5 programmes kept 1 for myself and sold the rest on ebay for a very tidy sum.

I've got tickets from loads of big sporting events I've been lucky enough to go to (Southend cup finals, Play-offs, NFL, Boxing Day Test Match, the Olympics, Wrestle-bloody-mania, etc) pinned up on a board at home. The Man United ticket is the only one that I've not pinned up - it rests on the others as I didn't want to damage it. :blush:

I regret not going out into town that evening. I just kinda walked home in a daze.

Flavs and Eastwood got the headlines (and I'll always say that all of those shots were right at Flavs....) but Sodje and Prior were immense that evening. Didn't give United any real chances beyond Ronaldo pot-shots from 25 yards. Gower and JCR caused them no end of problems, especially in the first half.

Craziest to think how Peter Clarke played centre mid and that James Lawson played at all. For any of our younger fans who don't remember him, Lawson was a kid who literally won his place in the squad in a charity raffle. And he had to play the last 15 minutes up front against a back-line of Internationals.

What is this about Lawson? I don't remember that at all - he was half decent when he broke into the team the previous season, scoring a couple of goals as I recall.

What is this about Lawson? I don't remember that at all - he was half decent when he broke into the team the previous season, scoring a couple of goals as I recall.

Yep he scored a few goals while Eastwood was suspended during the first part of league 1 winning season. I think Beefy is trying to be funny.

I remember sitting in the South Upper , after about 10 minutes Rooney got the ball looked up shaped up to hit it and Prior slid in and took the ball off him , it was then I knew we were going to win .

....... and that James Lawson played at all. For any of our younger fans who don't remember him, Lawson was a kid who literally won his place in the squad in a charity raffle. And he had to play the last 15 minutes up front against a back-line of Internationals.

Not quite Freddy Eastwood standard, but Lawson did score on his debut over a year before the Man Utd game.

Had been sent out to Grimsby on loan a couple of months before the big match but was recalled as they weren't giving him enough game time. Twenty something games, a load of loans and then out the door to Chelmsford (last seen, by me, at Concord).

Back