• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mattitouk

Life President
When I first saw this on social media yesterday, I thought it was another piece of "Fake News", but perhaps it's not. The main stream media (newspapers and Sky Sports News etc) seem to be following the story.

Have Fifa & Marco Van Basten completely lost the plot? or do you welcome these changes? (and if so, which ones?)

A quick run down of the changes proposed are:

1. Less games in a season or restricting players to 60 matches per season
2. Scrapping the Offside rule
3. Scrapping extra time in cup competitions and go straight to penalties
4. Replacing penalties with an 8 second run up & take on challenge"
5. Replacing a game of two halfs with 4 Quarters (american sport style)
6. Introducing a "sin bin" system with the introduction of a "Orange" Card
7. Only Captains allowed to speak with the referee
8. Having less cup competitions in domestic leagues
9. Increase the number of substitutes
10. Punish deliberate handballs less harshly
11. Introducing a Basketball foul system (6 fouls committed and they have to leave the field for the remainder of the game)
12. Scrapping the current time format (clock to stop when the ball is out of play, similar to Rugby, Baseball, Basketball, American Football etc)

Couple of links below:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...sten-offers-ideas-revolutionise-football.html

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...-forever-including-removing-the-offside-rule/

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...sten-fifa-plans-change-football-a7534186.html

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...d-by-international-football-association-board

Last edited:
I hope so, but nothing surprises me with FIFA.... guess we will find out in March.

The only changes from that lot I wouldn't mind seeing introduced, is more substitutes & only captains to speak to the referee (annoys me when 9 players surround the ref to try and goad him into pulling out a card etc).

They're Van Basten's suggestions, nothing to do with FIFA and certainly don't look like they'd be under serious consideration any time soon.

Some are ridiculous but a couple aren't as mad as some claim, only allowing captains to protest to the referee and allowing an extra substitute in extra-time for example.

I'm amazed they don't want a penalty shoot out if a regular league game ends in a draw.

Apoligies, I didn't list that one, Marco did suggest scrapping extra time and go straight to penalties after 90 minutes (this was for cup games though I understand).

What has this chap been smoking? Only one that remotely makes any sense is only the skipper talking to the ref.

Never mind trialled, I thought it was actually a rule but just like most things in modern football it isn't policed.

You're probably right, it is embarrassing when they do it. I can imagine football ref's going down the rugby route eventually.

This subject has been brought up again today on the BBC.

The article mainly mentions the Yellow Card "Sin Bin" proposal, and it could go ahead as early as next month? (I personally doubt it, in my opinion, if it was agreed, I think it would be the beginning of next season at the earliest, why change the rules 3/4 of the way through a season?)

EDIT: I've just read it again, and could be implemented within the next 2-3 years within the professional game.

It does also briefly mention about the possibility of more substitutes & also the captains role in the game in terms of being the only player that is permitted to communicate with the referee as we were discussing earlier.

Anyway here it is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38824937

This subject has been brought up again today on the BBC.

The article mainly mentions the Yellow Card "Sin Bin" proposal, and it could go ahead as early as next month? (I personally doubt it, in my opinion, if it was agreed, I think it would be the beginning of next season at the earliest, why change the rules 3/4 of the way through a season?)

It does also briefly mention about the possibility of more substitutes & also the captains role in the game in terms of being the only player that is permitted to communicate with the referee as we were discussing earlier.

Anyway here it is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38824937

I think they mean the change could be agreed next month but not implemented until the start of the season.

More subs at amature level would be ok but it would just mean more time wasting at the top level. I've thought for a long time that if a player comes off on a yellow then the sub should start on one.

Glad they scrapped the rule when Fergie was Man Ure manager; the one where they must continue to play until Manure score

1. Less games in a season or restricting players to 60 matches per season. No, plain daft.
2. Scrapping the Offside rule. No, but make it clearer.
3. Scrapping extra time in cup competitions and go straight to penalties. Not worried either way.
4. Replacing penalties with an 8 second run up & take on challenge. No
5. Replacing a game of two halfs with 4 Quarters (american sport style) No!
6. Introducing a "sin bin" system with the introduction of a "Orange" Card. I agree with this, sometimes a red seems harsh.
7. Only Captains allowed to speak with the referee. Yes, definitely instead of a group of players yelling and doing the "imaginary card" thing.
8. Having less cup competitions in domestic leagues. Yes.
9. Increase the number of substitutes. No, enough already.
10. Punish deliberate handballs less harshly. Depends on the circumstance.
11. Introducing a Basketball foul system (6 fouls committed and they have to leave the field for the remainder of the game) No.
12. Scrapping the current time format (clock to stop when the ball is out of play, similar to Rugby, Baseball, Basketball, American Football etc). Yes. It would stop time-wasting.

That's my views in a nutshell.

Simple, follow some NFL rules.
1) Wolrdwide salary cap . Spend 200 mill (or whatever) on your whole squad which must consist of 24 players. Sign a new one and the one that goes can go anywhere free. Spend
2) Play 60 minutes ball in play. Time wasting is over.
3) Allow each manager 3 challenges to dodgy decisions. If you lose an appeal you lose a substitution.
4) Make referees enforce the rules. If you make a **** tackle in the first minute its still a **** tackle. At the moment you get a warning cos its early in the game. The laws don't say a dangerous tackle is a bookable offence unless its early in the game. Or if you've just been booked you can get away with another yellow card offence as we dont want to send you off.Enforce the rules and the players will soon learn them.
5) Don't fine players for bad behaviour - whats the point when they have so much money. Ban them

A game without offside would be horrible to watch. Some time ago I reffed a tourney where we removed offside. Just turned into kick and rush, removing all the skill and guile. It may sound ok on paper, but in practice, we'd all hate it.

I don't agree with limiting players to 60 games a season or limiting games in a season. If you are fit enough to play that amount of games and your team is good enough, then so be it.

Personally, I'd remove some of the pointless international fixtures. There is absolutely no point in England playing Malta in this Qualifying series. Malta, San Marino, Andorra, Faeroes, Scotland, Liechtenstein, Gibraltar etc, all simply turn up and try not to get humped by seven or eight. They learn nothing doing that and wont improve. The better teams simply put players at risk. The paying supporters lose out. Give these nations their own pre-qualifying tournament. That way they are playing like v like in a competitive fixture.

A game without offside would be horrible to watch. Some time ago I reffed a tourney where we removed offside. Just turned into kick and rush, removing all the skill and guile. It may sound ok on paper, but in practice, we'd all hate it.

I don't agree with limiting players to 60 games a season or limiting games in a season. If you are fit enough to play that amount of games and your team is good enough, then so be it.

Personally, I'd remove some of the pointless international fixtures. There is absolutely no point in England playing Malta in this Qualifying series. Malta, San Marino, Andorra, Faeroes, Scotland, Liechtenstein, Gibraltar etc, all simply turn up and try not to get humped by seven or eight. They learn nothing doing that and wont improve. The better teams simply put players at risk. The paying supporters lose out. Give these nations their own pre-qualifying tournament. That way they are playing like v like in a competitive fixture.

I reffed a friendly match some time again between two men's teams...nobody wanted to run the lines so offside became non existent..final score was 6 5.

After the game an old chap congratulated me on allowing the game to flow and said that was one of the best games he had ever seen,just saying.

Banoffside

Back