• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stuart W

A word to the wise is enough
For a while now I have thought that a yellow and a red card were insufficient to determine the severity of numerous types of fouls in games; after Saturday at Gillingham I feel even stronger that something needs to be done.

Why can we not have a RANGE of punishments shown by a value rather than a colour?

So for instance, Inniss' second booking could (at worst) have been a "1" at the lowest end of the spectrum, whereas his first booking was probably a "3".
Then if the criteria was 5 points for a sending off, Inniss, although walking a tight-rope, would still have been on the pitch.

A violent over the top foul currently given a straight red, could be deemed to be a "5", or even more if the ref sees fit.
The crowd would still be aware of what was happening as the card, rather than being red or yellow, would have a large number on it.

You will never eradicate incompetent referees or linesmen, but at least this way the punishment would fit the crime more accurately than is presently the case.

The Yellow and Red cards are only there to clarify the punishment, ie sending off or a caution, they are not the actual punishment
Yes but currently two yellows equals one red. I am saying there should be different shades of yellow, but rather than use colours, use numbers.

For a while now I have thought that a yellow and a red card were insufficient to determine the severity of numerous types of fouls in games; after Saturday at Gillingham I feel even stronger that something needs to be done.

Why can we not have a RANGE of punishments shown by a value rather than a colour?

So for instance, Inniss' second booking could (at worst) have been a "1" at the lowest end of the spectrum, whereas his first booking was probably a "3".
Then if the criteria was 5 points for a sending off, Inniss, although walking a tight-rope, would still have been on the pitch.

A violent over the top foul currently given a straight red, could be deemed to be a "5", or even more if the ref sees fit.
The crowd would still be aware of what was happening as the card, rather than being red or yellow, would have a large number on it.

You will never eradicate incompetent referees or linesmen, but at least this way the punishment would fit the crime more accurately than is presently the case.

Sorry but this is a terrible idea. Referees are thick enough nowadays without giving them even more decisions to make on the pitch. Whether referees are giving out yellow and red cards or numbered cards they are still going to get decisions wrong, that isn't going to change. The current system is fine and doesn't warrant any changes, what SHOULD be addressed however is the standard of officiating nowadays - the current training and quality of assessors clearly isn't good enough. We as fans have to accept that we may have a good referee one week and a shocking one the next, it's the same for every other club in English football. Yes we definitely deserve an iffy penalty or two given in our favour now to balance things out after Marriner and Whitestone but it is what it is, I'm quite sure no-one will be moaning when poor officiating sees decisions go OUR way in the future. The standard has got worse yes but the only thing wrong with the card system is that you can't appeal second yellows (ridiculous law) - changing the yellow/red cards for numbers would be insanity and not only make things more complicated for players and fans alike but also referees who are clueless enough as it is these days.

What would the refs do instead? Hold up big score cards like Len Goodman? Would make it too complicated to keep track of as a fan in the ground and everyone will have a differing view of the the severity. Red and yellow cards are more than sufficient. Maybe the only change needed could be the long thought of sin-bin?

Now I can see the colour of a card 60 yards away but I don't care how big the number on the card is, the size of the card means at 60 yards away, I am never going to see the number.

How about the ref tells the 4th official the number, the 4th official tells the guy running the scoreboard and he puts the number in big lights on the scoreboard.

The only problem with that is if you are an away fan at Roots Hall, you can't see the scorecard either.

Perhaps the number can be hailed across all the tannoys?

I'm happy with a 'grading system' , but if we're going to change the current system , then let's at least make it more fun.
So instead of numbers , I would propose animals , with my initial idea as follows :

1. GERBIL ( for very minor infringements ).
2. STOAT ( standard fouls ).
3. GOOSE ( persistent foul play ).
4. CROCODILE ( heavy / dangerous challenge )
5. KILLER WHALE ( two footed challenge or denying a goal scoring opportunity ).

As was mentioned , you need to reach 5 before being sent off.
So if you got a GOOSE , then you still have the safety net of a GERBIL before getting your marching orders.

Similarly , two STOATS would keep you in the game.

My idea does need some fine tuning and I'm open to any suggestions ( serious ones please ) as it's clear to me that by my reckoning someone could accumulate four GERBILS , but surely that in itself would by a GOOSE ?

Who would be a referee these days !

I don't think this would work either, you would still get the same problems as you do today.

The sin bin may work; you could keep yellow and red, but only use red for serious actions, and have something between yellow and red for sin bin

I'm happy with a 'grading system' , but if we're going to change the current system , then let's at least make it more fun.
So instead of numbers , I would propose animals , with my initial idea as follows :

1. GERBIL ( for very minor infringements ).
2. STOAT ( standard fouls ).
3. GOOSE ( persistent foul play ).
4. CROCODILE ( heavy / dangerous challenge )
5. KILLER WHALE ( two footed challenge or denying a goal scoring opportunity ).

As was mentioned , you need to reach 5 before being sent off.
So if you got a GOOSE , then you still have the safety net of a GERBIL before getting your marching orders.

Similarly , two STOATS would keep you in the game.

My idea does need some fine tuning and I'm open to any suggestions ( serious ones please ) as it's clear to me that by my reckoning someone could accumulate four GERBILS , but surely that in itself would by a GOOSE ?

Who would be a referee these days !

Totally stupid.

Everyone knows a Stoat can have a Goose

What would the refs do instead? Hold up big score cards like Len Goodman? Would make it too complicated to keep track of as a fan in the ground and everyone will have a differing view of the the severity. Red and yellow cards are more than sufficient. Maybe the only change needed could be the long thought of sin-bin?
Ok so a "coming together" of two players where one is marginally later than the other, is worth the same punishment as a blatant so-called "professional foul" where a player deliberately pulls a player's shirt or trips him up so as to halt his progress towards goal. I think not.

Totally stupid.

Everyone knows a Stoat can have a Goose

I must admit I did expect this one to come up and I do see where you're coming from , but believe me when I say that Geese are bloody vicious creatures and should not be under estimated.

Ok so a "coming together" of two players where one is marginally later than the other, is worth the same punishment as a blatant so-called "professional foul" where a player deliberately pulls a player's shirt or trips him up so as to halt his progress towards goal. I think not.

Trouble is, if a ref can't tell the difference between the two, it doesn't matter if it's a coloured card, a number or an animal, it's going to be the same result.

Funny isn't it? You come up with an idea about making the whole disciplinary system fairer, and because they haven't thought of it themselves, so people decide to take the pi.. out of it. Far better to moan and abuse incompetent officials eh?

Your idea does have legs, unlike the Killer Whale

As I said , the idea is just embryonic right now and I'm not ready to make a full proposal to the F.A. , so pointing out that a Killer Whale would not be able to make a two footed challenge is helpful and shows me I've a long way to go.

Funny isn't it? You come up with an idea about making the whole disciplinary system fairer, and because they haven't thought of it themselves, so people decide to take the pi.. out of it. Far better to moan and abuse incompetent officials eh?

So now you're dissing my 'animal based system' ??
How unfair is that !

Back