• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

danburyshrimper

Manager
I went to Braintree v Lincoln last night & was so impressed with a few things that the Cowleys have set up at the Imps -- simple enough things that Phil Brown + his coaching team seem to be blatantly missing out on.

First of all the intensity of the warm up . The difference between between how Lincoln's pre match preparations + Southend's are leagues apart ..... but not in our favour !!! Our warm ups havent really changed year after year , our players almost look bored + going through the motions. Well , the Lincoln warm up was frenetic , passionate , noisy ( the communication between the players demanding the ball + off the ball information was really excellent ) . The pace of the short sprints , twists turns , little competitions in small groups ensured they were really having fun aswell as totally buzzing ready for the first whistle. And the shooting was something else!!!! Most of our pot shots pre match are smashing the paint off the leather + end up fizzing into the South upper. Well , i would say approx half Lincolns shots were in off the inside off the post. No blasting , all pinging at pace with curve and dip and unerring accurracy. I was so impressed that everything they did before the match started i felt certain they were going to win.
During the match every set piece was a masterpiece of invention + creativity. Maybe a bit Graham Taylor from the 80's but the group "huddle" and then explosion of movement was just like a wasp nest being smashed by a big stick -- the defenders had no idea who to mark , where they were running or anything. Every time chaos ensued and only poor finishing stopped it being a cricket score.
I just wish Brown , Coughlin + Horton were there to watch + learn . Our corners free kicks generally involve a long lazy loopy kick towards a few static players barely challenging the centre backs easy job of heading the ball away.

Anyway , 4 ex Shrimpers were on display. Alex Woodyard totally bossed the midfield , his tackling & energy was always evident in his Southend days but he has added intelligent positioning and slide rule passing qualities to his game. I really hope he has a stormer at Arsenal on Saturday , the lad deserves it.
Braintree's trio of former Blues were less than impressive. I was a huge fan of Sean Clohessey but his lethargic display at right back was very poor . Jack Midson showed a few nice touches but his scruffy traveller look led the Lincoln away following to mock him throughout the game and he faded into obscurity. Lee Barnard did some impressively professional stretches running up and down the touchline hoping he would come on as sub .....for 90 minutes !!! His post match sprints on the pitch whilst the Lincoln fans celebrated showed that Barny still has the passion somewhere deep inside him. Shame he never got the chance to show it.

All in all a thoroughly entertaining game and maybe Brown should have signed Lee Angol aswell as Theo Robinson - Angol was immense + his powerful running into space and at the defence all night was fantastic.

I can see Cowley one day being Southend manager -- if he does, i m sure we'll be in very safe hands !!

I think the Cowley boys boat has well and truly sailed. I feel sure if their progression continues they will be looking at managing a bigger club than us and the very best of good luck to them. Their rise has been impressive. Just to temper things though, as yet, they have not managed in the league. I doubt it would be much of a step up for them but that can only be proven by doing. I have never been a Brown fan but we are generally performing to a higher standard and often entertaining. This season could still end with a play-off opportunity and that is success in my book. The grass is always greener on the other side, or so they say, but at this stage of the season it would be harsh not to hope PB can finish the job well.

Lee Angol first goals since December according to SSN last night , so maybe the Southend fans would not be as patient with him

UTS

Heard Rumours if MM gets the boot at Ipswich the Cowleys will be very high up on the owners list of potential replacements

Lee Angol first goals since December according to SSN last night , so maybe the Southend fans would not be as patient with him

UTS

But he has only played the one game for Lincoln hasn't he? wasn't he brought in during the transfer window?

I'm really pleased that lads like the Cowleys are being successful. How far they will go remains to be seen but there seems to be a bit of a glass ceiling in the Premiership for a lot of British managers, and for that matter the Championship has a fair smattering of overseas geezers in charge as well. The assumption in this thread is that PB does not take notice of other clubs' methods of match preparation and tactics. I don't know whether that is true or not as I'm not privy to PB's methodology. What I do know is that he has had the side playing attacking football which nearly all of us were saying was some of the best we had seen for seasons. We've been blowing a bit hot and cold over the last few games, but we are still in the mix for a play-off place so he must be doing something right. Do I want the Cowleys at Roots Hall?............only if we have a managerial vacancy, which we haven't at the moment.

Hmmm if only we were playing part time Braintree on Saturday, rather than 9th placed League 1 Bristol Rovers.

How Angol dropping 2 leagues and looks good against semi pros I will never know. It's a miracle surely!

I always thought we looked good and well drilled in Rob Newmans warm ups....isn't as simple as that though.

I always thought we looked good and well drilled in Rob Newmans warm ups....isn't as simple as that though.

Southend have probably missed their chance with Danny Cowley and his brother. Their performance at Lincoln has been magnificent. And a championship club like Ipswich could well be their destination in the next 12 months or so.

Southend have probably missed their chance with Danny Cowley and his brother. Their performance at Lincoln has been magnificent. And a championship club like Ipswich could well be their destination in the next 12 months or so.

They have done very well indeed. Just a strange thread to point out that things Brown could learn from them when I'm sure there's lots they could learn from Brown too. All managers do things differently. There isn't a fixed winning formula in football. If there was everyone would be doing it.

Peterborough newspaper suggesting a six figure loan fee was involved. Surely not? Lincoln dont have that money and the player isn't worth that on a full transfer? Seems to be Lincoln guaranteeing their promotion though.

Back