• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Chocolardo

Banned
Is Ron Martin as bad as some people make out?

Personally as a chairmen goes I think he does a great job. Has always backed a manager when needed, and always given managers time when on a bad run.

Keeps the club running efficiently and invests his own money (yes it may be for his personal gain in the future)

Has even given the fans many days out for free over the years.

now after years of hardwork the stadium looks positive

in Ron we trust

If he builds the stadium it will go a long way.

The fact still remains that with him at the helm the club has almost gone bust on several occasions.

He also sacked one of the most successful managers in our history after blaming him for failure, but had not paid the players.

I'd still ask how he intends to create extra match day revenue with no main stand....thus losing income streams we currently have at RH....boxes etc.
Temporary boxes? All the offices and changing rooms will probably be Portakabins so maybe something similar.

The fact still remains that with him at the helm the club has almost gone bust on several occasions.

He also sacked one of the most successful managers in our history after blaming him for failure, but had not paid the players.

yep - there was an unnecessary level of dishonesty and manipulation about this time - and of course some careers were ruined

Which has 4 stands and is better than Roots Hall.

Ron isn't a man of his word. I know that from personal experience.

I still feel by the time he leaves we will be in the poorest position the club has ever been in financially. That's anything but success.

Has anyone actually confirmed its going to have three?

That was the plan but everything has changed since.

I'm not optimistic but you never know...

EDIT: Reading "The first phase will get us into the stadium in December next year." would suggest to me that first phase still exists which was 3 sided. Time will tell.

Look at the mess Orient are in. Ron has his critics (and I've been one of those at certain times in the past) but he's always kept us out of administration even during the bad times. We could do a lot worse.

Look at the mess Orient are in. Ron has his critics (and I've been one of those at certain times in the past) but he's always kept us out of administration even during the bad times. We could do a lot worse.

Orient arent in administration either.

There was little difference in what has happened to Orient and us, we were just lucky enough when the brown stuff hit the fan we were in the league above and only fell into league two. When we were in league two we had already been stabilised by the cash injection from Sainsbury and that at least gave us stability for Sturrock to keep us competitive (and a sterling job he did of it).

I dont for a minute class Ron as bad as the Orient chairman though, he is clearly a loon and doesnt even have a new development to motivate whatever nonsense he has been up to there.

We stay out of administration because most of our debts are to ron and co

Not quite true, the threat to us was always HMRC. They were the ones with the ability to liquidate us.

It wasnt Ron that kept them at bay either but Sainsbury, lets face it the reason they were at the door in the first place was because of how the club was being run and tax bills of 2 million being run up.

Lets not forget we needed Sainsbury to give us 5 million, 2.3m of which was to pay the outsanding tax bills and the rest to keep us afloat for the following year or so.

That isnt a sign of :

Keeps the club running efficiently and invests his own money (yes it may be for his personal gain in the future)

We always be careful what we wishes for, to think Orient fans was dancing away in 2014, happy to see the back of Barry Hearn, as he sold Orient to a supposedly be a Italian Billionaire, I never forget Orient fans mouthing off "Watch the gap between us get bigger, we will never play you ever again, enjoy your tinpot League 2!" ... I replied "football Karma will get you one day!" 3 years later, "Boom!" :hilarious:

We always be careful what we wishes for, to think Orient fans was dancing away in 2014, happy to see the back of Barry Hearn, as he sold Orient to a supposedly be a Italian Billionaire, I never forget Orient fans mouthing off "Watch the gap between us get bigger, we will never play you ever again, enjoy your tinpot League 2!" ... I replied "football Karma will get you one day!" 3 years later, "Boom!" :hilarious:

Nothing is forever and that certainly applies in the football world.

All our local rivals were doing better than us just a few years ago. Col U, Orient, Dagenham, Gillingham, Charlton and Millwall. Even though West Ham have a new stadium its not theire's and who the .... would want to play there anyway.

Too be fair , they were right, the gap is getting bigger !

People that say Sainsbury saved us, it's not like they just gave us the money. Who would of negotiated the cash injection on seemingly favourable terms to ourselves.... Ron and his team I would assume

I really didn't like Ron during the 09/10 L1 relegation season when the players didn't get paid and Tilson didn't have any money to bring in players to fill vital positions, BUT that season apart he has performed miracles keeping us afloat. Apart from 09/10 we have been competitive (if not always wildly successful) every season since 03/04 which I think is remarkable. But then, we all know that our financial plan--including the new stadium-- was banjaxed by the financial crash/ credit crunch, so there are contextual factors to consider in 09/10. Ron should also be applauded for having faith in his managers, but also for sensing the right time to let them go. Sacking Tilson and Sturrock were not popular decisions at the time but, sadly in the case of the former who is a true Southend legend, they were very astute.

I really didn't like Ron during the 09/10 L1 relegation season when the players didn't get paid and Tilson didn't have any money to bring in players to fill vital positions, BUT that season apart he has performed miracles keeping us afloat. Apart from 09/10 we have been competitive (if not always wildly successful) every season since 03/04 which I think is remarkable. But then, we all know that our financial plan--including the new stadium-- was banjaxed by the financial crash/ credit crunch, so there are contextual factors to consider in 09/10. Ron should also be applauded for having faith in his managers, but also for sensing the right time to let them go. Sacking Tilson and Sturrock were not popular decisions at the time but, sadly in the case of the former who is a true Southend legend, they were very astute.

Yeah Ron has worked wonders,no doubt about it.....club debt has reached over hmmm what is it now 13 mill and rising,losing 20k each week is some feat.....in return to be fair Ron has smartened up the Hall with hmmmmmm electronic turnstiles and hmmm the centre circle lounge and hmmmmmmmmmmmm cannot think of anything else.

Back