• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I have mentioned before that our 1980-82 striking duo Derek Spence and Keith Mercer are coming along to Roots Hall on Sunday.

They should be introduced to the crowd about 10 mins or so before kick-off, and yep I've asked if they can walk right out to the centre circle to wave hello to all.

Derek was a rare breed for a Shrimper, namely a player who was earning international caps whilst playing for us. He played in the same Northern Ireland side as George Best and Pat Jennings, earning 29 caps in all and scoring three times, and just missing out (to his regret) on going to the 1982 World Cup finals in Spain.

I think it would be truly great if, when Derek gets introduced on the pitch, we could all one last time chant ''DEREK SPENCE IS AN IN-TER-NAT-IONAL", which back in the day was regularly sung by us all from the terraces.

A dozen or so repeats of that over a 30 second burst I'm sure would be a wonderful Roots Hall moment to be remembered for a long time, and I know Derek would love it (I'm not telling, if it comes off I want it to be a surprise). I'm sure Keith won't mind Derek getting the limelight for this - he might even join in!

I did recently speak to True Blue about The Blue Voice taking a lead on this on Sunday - he was up for it but our conversation was in a pub at Chesterfield so if anyone knows how to contact him to remind him about this that would be great (Scott doesn't appear to be regularly post on SZ at present - I sent him a message a few days ago but no reply as yet).

Even if the early '80's pre-dates your own support for the club I hope you will join in and help to make this a great moment, and maybe something too that will help crank up the atmosphere for the match to follow (and something that will demonstrate the power of Shrimperzone!).

Comments, messages of support, ideas welcome. Come on, lets do it! ''DEREK SPENCE IS AN IN-TER-NAT-IONAL"

UTB, SS

I have mentioned before that our 1980-82 striking duo Derek Spence and Keith Mercer are coming along to Roots Hall on Sunday.

They should be introduced to the crowd about 10 mins or so before kick-off, and yep I've asked if they can walk right out to the centre circle to wave hello to all.

Derek was a rare breed for a Shrimper, namely a player who was earning international caps whilst playing for us. He played in the same Northern Ireland side as George Best and Pat Jennings, earning 29 caps in all and scoring three times, and just missing out (to his regret) on going to the 1982 World Cup finals in Spain.

I think it would be truly great if, when Derek gets introduced on the pitch, we could all one last time chant ''DEREK SPENCE IS AN IN-TER-NAT-IONAL", which back in the day was regularly sung by us all from the terraces.

A dozen or so repeats of that over a 30 second burst I'm sure would be a wonderful Roots Hall moment to be remembered for a long time, and I know Derek would love it (I'm not telling, if it comes off I want it to be a surprise). I'm sure Keith won't mind Derek getting the limelight for this - he might even join in!

I did recently speak to True Blue about The Blue Voice taking a lead on this on Sunday - he was up for it but our conversation was in a pub at Chesterfield so if anyone knows how to contact him to remind him about this that would be great (Scott doesn't appear to be regularly post on SZ at present - I sent him a message a few days ago but no reply as yet).

Even if the early '80's pre-dates your own support for the club I hope you will join in and help to make this a great moment, and maybe something too that will help crank up the atmosphere for the match to follow (and something that will demonstrate the power of Shrimperzone!).

Comments, messages of support, ideas welcome. Come on, lets do it! ''DEREK SPENCE IS AN IN-TER-NAT-IONAL"

UTB, SS

Have you thought about posting this on the Blue voice page??

You might like some of these and maybe a few of you are on them or recognise others? They come from Derek's own collection that he has just shared on Facebook before driving down (from Fleetwood - so no mean effort) to Keith's this afternoon in readiness for tomorrow.

18194186_1863071637265038_7842362664968193257_n.jpg18157770_1863071690598366_296083551975429690_n.jpg18194238_1863071697265032_7220836045213826744_n.jpg

Remember, 'DEREK SPENCE IS AN INT-ER-NAT-IONAL""

and another one:

18199061_1863071633931705_2094631908230455898_n.jpg

There are a couple more which for some reason I can't load up on here - I'll put them up on the Roots To The 92 Facebook page in a mo if you want to take a look (link to page below).

Remember, if you want a copy of the book with Derek and keith signining it send me a message and we'll arrange something - all royalties from sales tomorrow to go to Little Havens Hospice.

And finally, IF anyone knows how to contact Scott (True Blue) PLEASE get him to get in touch with me (I don't have his number), I really would like The Blue Voice to help with the chant tomorrow!

and another one:

View attachment 4692

There are a couple more which for some reason I can't load up on here - I'll put them up on the Roots To The 92 Facebook page in a mo if you want to take a look (link to page below).

Remember, if you want a copy of the book with Derek and keith signining it send me a message and we'll arrange something - all royalties from sales tomorrow to go to Little Havens Hospice.

And finally, IF anyone knows how to contact Scott (True Blue) PLEASE get him to get in touch with me (I don't have his number), I really would like The Blue Voice to help with the chant tomorrow!

I'll help spread the word via the TBV Facebook page for you - will PM you now

Great photos and memories of a special time ,pretty certain that the BBC did a football focus special on us at the seasons end being champions with Dave Smith in fine form .Also a time when anyone around 15 could get served a pint !

I met Derek and Keith today. Many thanks, Andrew.

What a great couple of guys. Just wished I'd had a little more time to catch up.

I think they were genuinely moved by the reception, just before the start, as well.

I met Derek and Keith today. Many thanks, Andrew.

What a great couple of guys. Just wished I'd had a little more time to catch up.

I think they were genuinely moved by the reception, just before the start, as well.

Top work Andy, many thanks for organising the signed '92' book :thumbsup:

Really nice to speak to Ron Pountney too, also a really nice bloke !

Just back, via the local Hampshire pub, many thanks Andy for accommodating me and the book signing by Keith, Derek and yourself...not forgetting the reception staff :clap: ....massive disappointment at the end game-wise, but hey, we are Shrimpers, we live and fight through adversity....looking forward to some good bedtime reading and the season ahead :thumbsup:

Back