• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why do people want to sign a keeper? This would be a slap in the face for Ted Smith who became a lot more solid as the season went on, and needs game time to continue his improvement. He should be our number one next year. Oxley is a classic reserve keeper if ever I saw one.
The squad doesn't need major overhaul, although there is a bit of fat that could be trimmed around the edges. I guess it will depend if any of our players want to leave, which may necessitate signing a replacement. Equally do we want to cash in on anyone? There are players knocking around like Bridge, Kyprianou, Matzuaka (sp) Who need to be involved more in the first team squad, loaned out, or released. Because sitting in the stand every Saturday is doing them any favours.

Ferdy and Thommo are top central defenders

We clearly need cover - Ferdy cannot play 50 games a season and there will be injuries as there always is - and cover that will definitely play and not just be 'reserve squad' members

As someone has already said, one prob can be that if you bring in a good quality player as 'back up' they will expect to play but Ferdy and Thommo deserve to be first choice.

So the answer is to bring in a good youngster (maybe using loan system) PLUS someone like Ferdy who is quality but maybe not expecting to play all season.

For the latter I give you Peter Clarke, the 35 year old Oldham player of the season and now out of contract.

Sorted.

Am hoping that the recent history of PB/SUFC dithering early on does not repeat itself.
Know your targets and go for them in May/June!!!

Am hoping that the recent history of PB/SUFC dithering early on does not repeat itself.
Know your targets and go for them in May/June!!!

What like Shrewsbury Gillingham and Port Vale did.

By the way PB had interviewed 15 Players within 10 days of the end of last season and another 15 before the end of May. The reason being is we can't just have who we want. If their chairman (Orient) want to much money then its a no. If Charlton come along and offer a player (Novak) £100,000 a year more then its a no. If the agents want to spend all summer having an auction with the players current club and about 4 others then its a No

But equally the players who are desperate for a contract before June 1st aren't always the best. Still that's the madness of pro football and that's the joy of being born in this part of Essex.....What if your mum and dad had decided to start their family in Colchester?

Why do people want to sign a keeper? This would be a slap in the face for Ted Smith who became a lot more solid as the season went on, and needs game time to continue his improvement. He should be our number one next year. Oxley is a classic reserve keeper if ever I saw one.
The squad doesn't need major overhaul, although there is a bit of fat that could be trimmed around the edges. I guess it will depend if any of our players want to leave, which may necessitate signing a replacement. Equally do we want to cash in on anyone? There are players knocking around like Bridge, Kyprianou, Matzuaka (sp) Who need to be involved more in the first team squad, loaned out, or released. Because sitting in the stand every Saturday is doing them any favours.

I agree that we certainly don't need a keeper but Oxley will be the number one. Despite the bad start, which was actually blown out of proportion, he had settled nicely. In his last 10 league games before injury he had only conceded 5 goals and kept 5 clean sheets. He had grown in confidence and was bossing his defence. Out of the 3 keepers we have had to use his kicking is the best, including very accurate. He can side foot a back pass onto Nile Rangers head just outside the oppo's penalty box. Like so many of the injuries this season it came a vital time to a vital position.

Would love to sign two or three players that add to our quality - but keeping hold of the quality we already have is the key! Ie Ben Coker!

Liam Sercombe or Matthew Lund would fill that creative midfield role when Wordy's unavailable.

Would love to sign two or three players that add to our quality - but keeping hold of the quality we already have is the key! Ie Ben Coker!

If Coker got offered a contract at a Championship club you'd deny him this, would you? He's put a shift in with us for 4 years now.

Ferdy and Thommo are top central defenders

We clearly need cover - Ferdy cannot play 50 games a season and there will be injuries as there always is - and cover that will definitely play and not just be 'reserve squad' members

As someone has already said, one prob can be that if you bring in a good quality player as 'back up' they will expect to play but Ferdy and Thommo deserve to be first choice.

So the answer is to bring in a good youngster (maybe using loan system) PLUS someone like Ferdy who is quality but maybe not expecting to play all season.

For the latter I give you Peter Clarke, the 35 year old Oldham player of the season and now out of contract.

Sorted.

Not according to this: http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39424697

As we're on the annual drive to recruit former players, can I ask about Alan McCormack? He was average 5 years ago, so could come back and be average now! Surely he could 'do a job at this level'?

Dorian Dervite is the only ex shrimper we should be trying to sign!

As we're on the annual drive to recruit former players, can I ask about Alan McCormack? He was average 5 years ago, so could come back and be average now! Surely he could 'do a job at this level'?

Couldn't even make the bench for Brentford's game at Fulham last Saturday -although he was in the squad/programme.

Bentley was class however throughout and even saved a pen.

What like Shrewsbury Gillingham and Port Vale did.

By the way PB had interviewed 15 Players within 10 days of the end of last season and another 15 before the end of May. The reason being is we can't just have who we want. If their chairman (Orient) want to much money then its a no. If Charlton come along and offer a player (Novak) £100,000 a year more then its a no. If the agents want to spend all summer having an auction with the players current club and about 4 others then its a No

But equally the players who are desperate for a contract before June 1st aren't always the best. Still that's the madness of pro football and that's the joy of being born in this part of Essex.....What if your mum and dad had decided to start their family in Colchester?

Agree. I'd rather sign top quality players in late August than rush to sign players, just to 'get our business done early'.

It's hard to really say who we could or couldn't sign, but being optimistic, and Brown loving a marque signing, I think we could potentially attract the following out of contract players:

Championship

• Sammy Ameobi - 25, Never set the world on fire at a high level so could be looking to carve a career now.
  • Peter Wittingham - 32, Premier League experience and a ping of a left foot.
  • Danny Ward - 26, 12 goals in 43 for a shocking Rotherham outfit last season.
  • Kyle Lafferty - 29, out of favour at Norwich, only played 12 league games last season.
  • Jamie Mackie - 31, Again out of favour at QPR, can play on the Right or ST.
  • Mike Williamson - 33, 1.94m CB with previous experience at Newcastle, Wolves and Pompey.
  • Jermaine Beckford - 33, 1 in 17 for Preston with some falling outs, don't want him, but the kind of player we'd go for.
  • Haris Vuckic - 24, on loan at Bradford and Wigan last season, same as Sammy Ameobi he needs to begin carving a career.
  • Christian Walton - 21, obviously been here on loan and would command tribunal fee.
  • Rohan Ince - 24, Defensive midfielder who was very highly rated by Brighton at one point. Been on loan at Swindon.

League 1

• Dorian Dervite - 28, this man does not need any explanation.
  • Rory McArdle - 30, CB from Bradford, always been a good L1 player.
  • Paul Coutts - 28, With Sheffield United promoted, they will try and strengthen their side, so could see Coutts released.
  • Gael Bigirimana - 23, He has something about him this kid, could be worth trying to find what it is.
  • Max Clayton - 22, Ex Crewe and potentially ex Bolton, young lad, could be worth a punt.
  • Gary Madine - 26, 9 in 36 for Bolton this season so probably not good enough for them in Champ, good target man but would cost a lot.
  • Daniel Powell - 26, Pacey RM currently at MK Dons
  • Luke Daniels - 29, We all know him.
  • Jonathan Obika - 26, 6 in 30 for a relegated Swindon side, but he has bags of pace and experience.
  • Chris Eagles - 31, RM been at Burnley and Manchester United.
  • Franck Moussa - 27, didn't want to come last season so hopefully Brown doesn't go for him, but a good player.
  • Liam Sercombe - 27, CM at Oxford very talented player.
  • Matt Lund, 26, had him on loan before and has become a good L1 CM.

I will have missed some, and obviously there are a few on here that you'll read and say "No ****ing Way", but then last season we said that about Simon Cox and Anton Ferdinand!

Jay O'Shea has just been released by Chesterfield. Would strengthen our midfield and add some goals but not sure we'd
be able to pull it off, especially if Shffield United want to make his loan permanent.

Is Coker out of contract? The way PB was speaking at the Gala dinner suggested he is and that PB really wanted him to sign and was very complimentary about him and how high he could play. I saw a tweet from CP saying that PB said he has another year though?
The other player out of contract that concerns me is Anton, I was lucky enough to present the MOTM award on sunday and in the tunnel Anton was talking to a guy (think it was a fan as he was signing something for him) saying that he hasn't discussed a new contract yet and wasn't sure if he'd be here next season but he'd stay in touch whatever.
Also Ron said at the Gala dinner the 1st thing he said to PB after the game was "get recruiting for next season" and gave the impression that PB would be well supported in his recruitment.

Back