• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OK, so we didn't quite get there. But it seems too soon for the season to end. So, what to do?

There is an antidote to anyone still with live footie needs in an Essex play-off situation (and I certainly don't mean Cole Ewe if they somehow manage it)

Your medicine can be taken at Chelmsford City tomorrow (Weds 3 May) at 7.45 pm as they take on Dartford in the first leg of the National League South play-offs.

OK it's certainly a crap ground - any City fan will tell you that - but some 2,000 (including a healthy Dartford contingent to stoke up the atmosphere) are expected and it should be a good night. City are perennial under-achievers in the play-offs and are desperate to get back to the top level outside the EFL. Maybe this year they can do it at last.

SS Junior and me will be there with our City fan mates - if you've now't else on why not join us? I'm easy to spot if you want to join our merry little band - two of them are lifetime City season ticket holders so have been certified insane, but the rest are relatively sociable, and the club bar is always well-stocked and welcoming.

UTCity

Point of order.

Dagenham and, indeed, Redbridge are both within London Boroughs.

Last edited:
Are Chelmsford planning to move grounds? I notice their takeover by the Jade Group fell through leaving them a bit short of cash. Always live in hope they will move from that terrible athletics stadium as I feel there's lots of potential there but it's such an awful place to watch football, it certainly put me off going when I lived in the city.

Are Chelmsford planning to move grounds? I notice their takeover by the Jade Group fell through leaving them a bit short of cash. Always live in hope they will move from that terrible athletics stadium as I feel there's lots of potential there but it's such an awful place to watch football, it certainly put me off going when I lived in the city.
Yep it must put people off from going to watch them play.
The old ground at New Writtle Street was a great non-league ground.
As you probably know they sold off the old ground to build a nice new ground, but as happens in non-league football the new ground never got built. Similar took place at Grays and further back at Brentwood.

Not ideal for spectating but there are are many worse grounds in non-league. No immediate plans to move away from Melbourne Stadium, though a purpose built facility (if feasible) in the future would be much embraced. The old NWS site is now a Virgin Active health club. There never was any sell-off / plan to build a new stadium (financial misdemeanours were occurring off the pitch at that time) hence the club was forced out and into ground-sharing arrangements, a short period at Maldon followed by several seasons at Billericay. Not been too clever in the play-offs in past season but hopefully this might be the year!

Chelmsford City are looking for someone to take them over after the Jade Global deal fell through. They are in a lot of debt and some of their fans fear administration. Apparently the club are in talks with a prospective purchaser, hopefully that goes through and also would be great if the club gets into the National League top flight. They also have a well funded local rival in Billericay Town to contend with​ now although how long that will last is anybody's guess.

Not ideal for spectating but there are are many worse grounds in non-league. No immediate plans to move away from Melbourne Stadium, though a purpose built facility (if feasible) in the future would be much embraced. The old NWS site is now a Virgin Active health club. There never was any sell-off / plan to build a new stadium (financial misdemeanours were occurring off the pitch at that time) hence the club was forced out and into ground-sharing arrangements, a short period at Maldon followed by several seasons at Billericay. Not been too clever in the play-offs in past season but hopefully this might be the year!
Thanks for the info about them moving I seem to remember plans for a new ground over Boreham side ot the City. That must have been after they had moved from NWS.
20 years ago they moved from NWS.

Historically Colchester was the capital doesn't mean it still is! History is history for a reason it's in the past. Dagenham is a London borough so not part of Essex.

I was born in rush green near dagenham and consider myself an essex boy.

Unless it has an E postcode then it still essex. Letters received in that area won't have London on them.

My dad lives in elm park which is in the London Borough of havering. My dad will tell you he lives in essex.

I was born in rush green near dagenham and consider myself an essex boy.

Unless it has an E postcode then it still essex. Letters received in that area won't have London on them.

My dad lives in elm park which is in the London Borough of havering. My dad will tell you he lives in essex.

Christ, Bedford has an MK postcode, doesn't mean that's in Milton Keynes...it's 25+ miles away :facepalm:

Postcodes, what people consider, are irrelevant. If it says "London Borough of...." you're in London NOT Essex.

Are we in a time warp Mork? Is it 1953 or is it 2017?

In 2017, Dagenham is in London.

Indeed.

Dagenham became part of Greater London after the London Government Act of 1963 was passed and the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham was created in 1965.

Historically, yes, Dagenham was in Essex, as was West Ham, for example.

However, as the title of the thread is "Need an Essex Play-Off Fix?" and not "Need an historical pre-1965 Essex Play-Off Fix?" - which of course would null and void Dagenham & Redbridge Football Club, anyway, as they didn't merge until 1992 - and after careful consideration, I'm awarding the first prize to 'Suffolk Shrimper'.

However, I'll throw in a bone : Though the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham does not border Essex, as 'UptheShrimpers' rightly says, the London Borough of Redbridge does! :thumbsup:

Thank me later.

Back