• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
I don't get the love affair with ranger.

He has far too many off days and we tend to go long when he is in the side.

I'm much more a fan of fortune who appears more skilled and offers more to the side and cox.

I know ranger signed a long deal but I'd be disappointed to lose fortune tbh.

I think a lot of fans like the "bad boy" image especially the younger fans! No doubt he's a very good player at this level but I agree MAF is a more skilful player! Unfortunately MAF is nearing the end of his career whilst Niles to be fair has only just begun (if he can stay out of trouble, which over the past few months he appears to be doing so!).

The yoofs love him cos he's a bit whooo, and bit weeey, he's a geezer !

[video=youtube_share;I8_U0q1jpzo]https://youtu.be/I8_U0q1jpzo[/video]

Let's judge him after a full pre season etc, probably not been 100% fit once this season. Agree the love in and almost legend status with some sections of fans is embarrassing.

I think he has the ability to be class at this level just depends if he wants to put the work in to get fit and stay out of trouble

What a weird thread. Ranger is an immense talent for a club of our stature and does more off the ball than many give him credit for. I guess it's hard to impress fans as a striker when you are also filling in for Midfield and Defence for large periods of the game. We are incredibly lucky to have a player like Ranger signed up for 3 years at the age of 25!! The only question mark is of course his attitude and criminal tendencies, which is a different conversation.

Fortune has no real future beyond his contract due to his age and will become more and more an impact sub next season, albeit a good one.

If Ranger trains well and gets up to full match fitness for August, and we invest in Midfield upgrades, we will be celebrating promotion next summer.

There have been times this season when ranger has been unplayable...literally different class. If we can get some consistency out of him we will do very well.

With the old woman slapper in the side we end up playing hoof ball. With the old moral vacuum out of the side we play to feet. I know the type of football I want to watch.

I like him because he is a complete unit. I would love to see him fully fit without some sort of niggling injury! The run's he goes on, Walsall away for example, are electrifying and all it takes is a little more composure!

Also, the stats of our W-L ratio with him starting is incredible.

Ranger :Worthy::Worthy:

He was completely unplayable at times. Timing of this thread is a little weird, why did you just wake up and fancy a jab at him now?

You have to remember as well that last season was the most he'd played in a single season since his Newcastle days. Providing he can survive the courts this summer he needs a good pre season and I'm confident we'll see a different animal next season.

As Lenny mentions, our win/loss ratio with him playing is very impressive

Last edited:
Pre-season training is essential - I understand that he is not the best trainer out there so it really is all down to Ranger as to whether he becomes the focal point of the Team or not.

Personally I want to see a fit Ranger who is raring to go and doesn't keep missing games through niggling injuries.

Sorry don't get the need to single out Ranger for some stick, as others have alluded to, he has been immense at times, Bradford away springs to mind. His only fault at the moment is his fitness, he will benefit from a full pre season, and we will have some player!

If you take out the negatives, ie the off the pitch stuff, he is a good player and only 25. I like Fortune more than I thought I would but he is at the end of his career so I wouldnt choose him over Ranger purely for that reason.

You just have to look at the results in league games when he started compared with those when he did not.

Won 12 Drawn 3 lost 4 against Won 8 Drawn 9 Lost 10 to see the influence he had last season.

However, he did only start 19 of 46 games through lack of fitness, injury and suspension, which is nowhere near enough.

I also think that Mr Brown is getting a bit impatient with him from the vibes in the interviews pre and post match in April.

I think he thinks that Nile is faking some injuries. He has groin problems, knee problems, ankle problems a tight hamstring and possibly attitude problems. Is he prepared to put the work in? Will he see out his three year contract ? I doubt it.

He's a player that gets fans out of their seats. There have only been a handful of them in my 25 years of watching Southend. Eastwood, Mohsni, Ranger. An enigma, a flawed genius. Football fans love them, twas ever thus.

He's a player that gets fans out of their seats. There have only been a handful of them in my 25 years of watching Southend. Eastwood, Mohsni, Ranger. An enigma, a flawed genius. Football fans love them, twas ever thus.

He is an entertainer AND that is what football should, in a pure way, enjoyment. Yes we need players to do the graft and work BUT excitement is generated by the likes of Nile and those on your list.

To which I would add SVC, Andy Ansah, Ricky Otto, Mark Gower.
There have been many others, who, on a very good day, can get the crowd out of their seats;- Cox has his moments I think & could be good for 20 goals next season as he will start (hopefully) fit and with a strike partner(s) he works well with.

There have been times this season when ranger has been unplayable...literally different class. If we can get some consistency out of him we will do very well.

Also many games where he has appeared lazy and disinterested

Sorry don't get the need to single out Ranger for some stick, as others have alluded to, he has been immense at times, Bradford away springs to mind. His only fault at the moment is his fitness, he will benefit from a full pre season, and we will have some player!

other issues, matters away from the club, lazy trainer etc

Back