• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Planning Application Now Registered - 17/00733/FULM

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Last edited:
http://publicedrms.southend.gov.uk/...bj.pdf?DocNo=7800943&PDF=true&content=obj.pdf

That's the main planning booklet for those who can't be bothered to search through the documents. It's 175 pages long but all looks good and very official. Can I get excited?

Stadium parking North of Fossetts Way?

Sorry to sound cynical but I can't really get excited myself just yet. At first glance there's not much we haven't already seen before, and those previous plans were withdrawn. I'll get excited (because I really want to) when the council approve them and they start work.

Going through this in more detail I'm now disgusted by these plans. Between sections 5.10 and 5.11 there's a CGI of a match in progress. The linesman has given us offside.

It clearly wasn't. That linesman should be banished to the matrix...or just made to watch the 2nd and 3rd installments.

Last edited:
Lost interest as soon as I saw the confirmed 3 stands.

But considering that the 4th side is in the same phase as stadium parking , it indicates that the time between phases 1 and 2 may be about long enough to allow the grass to grow on the playing surface as I cant see us putting much on without parking...

Upon initial inspection, the plans are, perhaps surprisingly, quite aesthetically pleasing.
Given the obvious requirement to keep costs under control, Populous have (imho) done a good job of balancing authenticity with buildability, and the massing of the residential (given how much we need to enable the development) actually works quite nicely.
I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of so-called 'main stand' in Phase One. What matters here is that the Club will have a serviceable, modern facility, which will be capable of being supplemented with temporary/modular corporate hospitality if/as necessary, until such time as the second phase can be implemented.

The nature and scale of the berm/banking shown on the elevations would suggest to me that there could be an option to install temporary seating on the North side if capacity or programme demands require this option (think Blackpool).

From an impact perspective, I don't think the planners can have too many complaints as the excavated nature of the bowl and the roof profile will stop it looking as gargantuan as it could do in the context of surrounding buildings/environment.

All in all, a pretty smart proposal which should hopefully dispel some myths/concerns about this being 'just another identikit (read 'CUFC') type development'.

But considering that the 4th side is in the same phase as stadium parking , it indicates that the time between phases 1 and 2 may be about long enough to allow the grass to grow on the playing surface as I cant see us putting much on without parking...

Thought did cross my mind. If it was going to be that soon though why even need the 2 phases?

I did just have another look through, any one notice the safe standing area?

Thought did cross my mind. If it was going to be that soon though why even need the 2 phases?

I did just have another look through, any one notice the safe standing area?

Can you print screen or highlight where you have seen this? As I have referred to on another thread about safe-standing, someone referred to 'seat kills' which is completely different.
People need to calm down about safe-standing - it won't happen in it's current guise.

They are definitely providing the possibility of including it in the West Stand.

Section 5.18

aaaaa.jpg

They are definitely providing the possibility of including it in the West Stand.

Section 5.18

View attachment 4754

Nothing definite about it. They refer to a trial area which would need to be retro-fitted with safe-standing in the event that it becomes legal. The red areas highlighted would be the areas that would then need to be 'killed' or not sold because of restricted views caused by people standing in the trial area.

It won't happen.

Nothing definite about it. They refer to a trial area which would need to be retro-fitted with safe-standing in the event that it becomes legal. The red areas highlighted would be the areas that would then need to be 'killed' or not sold because of restricted views caused by people standing in the trial area.

It won't happen.

Just to make sure both threads are updated...

I said they are definitely providing the possibility, not definitely including it. Obviously if the law never changes they wont do it.

The previous design couldnt even facilitate safe standing. The fact they are inlcuding it in the plans and building the option to have it is an interesting one and a step forward from the previous plans.

Just to make sure both threads are updated...

I said they are definitely providing the possibility, not definitely including it. Obviously if the law never changes they wont do it.

The previous design couldnt even facilitate safe standing. The fact they are inlcuding it in the plans and building the option to have it is an interesting one and a step forward from the previous plans.

I think too much is made of the requirement to 'prepare' for safe-standing areas. In reality, any terrace can be retro-fitted with safe-standing rail seats if the riser heights are enough to maintain reasonable sightlines of the pitch for all spectators.

The problem you have with reserving a bank of seats like this is that unless you specifically design the adjoining corners around this reserved area, you'll get plenty of seat kills as demonstrated on the drawing.

Add to that the fact that the current safe-standing system being used by the FSF is a one-for-one replacement for a seat and costs more than a tip-up seat, and you can see why it isn't being taken that seriously.

I think too much is made of the requirement to 'prepare' for safe-standing areas. In reality, any terrace can be retro-fitted with safe-standing rail seats if the riser heights are enough to maintain reasonable sightlines of the pitch for all spectators.

The problem you have with reserving a bank of seats like this is that unless you specifically design the adjoining corners around this reserved area, you'll get plenty of seat kills as demonstrated on the drawing.

Add to that the fact that the current safe-standing system being used by the FSF is a one-for-one replacement for a seat and costs more than a tip-up seat, and you can see why it isn't being taken that seriously.

Indeed and the plans do lay that out.

Its still an interesting proposal and would increase capacity in the West Stand by 918 people, probably enough to account for the seat kills, and lets face it we arent going to need every seat anyway.

Its a long way from being certain, but probably more likely thant the stadium actually being built :smile:

Just going through the plans and whilst the stadium parking is phase 2, the big parking lot next to the training ground is phase one, so there will be parking.

Just going through the plans and whilst the stadium parking is phase 2, the big parking lot next to the training ground is phase one, so there will be parking.

True, but thats Matchday parking, fans I presume. I imagine that Players ,match officials , club officials etc would need to be nearer the ground on matchday, as would stadium officials , ground staff etc any other day of the week

True, but thats Matchday parking, fans I presume. I imagine that Players ,match officials , club officials etc would need to be nearer the ground on matchday, as would stadium officials , ground staff etc any other day of the week
Looks like there will be some parking for directors etc under the main stand.

Plans look ok as a 4 sided ground but I don't like the look of it with 3 sides.

Anyway that's the difficult bit out of the way, now just the simple task of getting the plans approved and of course building work will no doubt start the day after approval!

Back