• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Somerset Ex-TTB

Members
Just wanted to gauge people's thoughts at the current time as to the state of our squad. We can no longer use the its ages until the start of the season excuse, or there is no point in signing the rubbish players that get signed early, look at Port Vale excuse.

I think we may be in exactly the same state as we were when we played Gillingham last year. Not overall as the quality in the squad has increased in 12 months, but we are lacking in many area's, have many key players unfit and injured and we may well not get off to the best of starts and be playing catch up and chasing the play-offs again.

We only have 2 centre backs, both of whom are old, lack pace and will not play more than 35 games each, this season. Coker seems to have developed into Macca in terms of injury proneness.

We look like we are devoid of idea's going forward without Wordy in the side, and will miss Atkinson's drive and energy. Lenny's situation is also not helping matters.

Ranger's situation is unclear, and even if he knuckles down and gets fit, he isn't going to be firing until close to Christmas.

Don't get me wrong, I think if we played our best XI players over 46 games we would finish in the top 2 or 3, but we have such an amazing lack of depth in the squad and we seem to be pinning our season's hope on untried 17 year old, and a young French lad who is great at closing down defenders.

If we get off to a poor start again, there is nobody else to blame other than Ron and Phil and I am not sure as the expectation level amongst us as fans, and Ron as well, is much higher, we would see Phil Brown survive another bad start.

Any thoughts?

I bet your fun at a party.

Very negative way of looking at the squad IMO.

We've clearly taken a view that the resources we have are better spent on quality not quantity. That means that we're going to operate with a smaller squad than many and are at the risk of having injuries to key players torpedo the season.

Obviously it would be preferable to have both quality and quantity but we can't afford that.

I've said before that last year's team was the best Southend side I've ever seen. We've strengthened in the summer. This is the first season in the decades I've supported the Club that I can remember us being so clearly geared up for promotion.

Too many injury prone players in the squad. Weve lost two players (possibly 3 if you include Leonard) who could play 40+ games a season. Turner needed a good pre-season but looks likely to not be ready in time for Blackburn.

We need a centre half and central midfield player, no doubts. A winger and an additional striker would also not go amiss.

Wasnt being negative at all, as I mentioned I think our best XI would be one of the best in the division, and I am looking forward to the season.

I did mention on here in May/June time that the poor start we made last year, ultimatly cost us a play off place, and in reality, cost us a crack at automatic promotion. (although I think we would of missed out).

To be in the same situation again is in my view, not acceptable, and yes, 14 players fit, (if you include Yearwood), is extremely worrying at the start of the season.

All of those unfit players, Turner, Coker, Macca, Wordy, Ranger are not going to be ready and match fit come Saturday 5th August, which I believe may lead to another poor start.

Short in defence. You need 4 DCs. Short in centre midfield too. If Lenny goes then what? If he gets injured? Questions marks also over goalkeeper. We've got some great players for this level but as it stands, our squad is not ready to compete. But then I'm sure PB knows this.

I've only watched us once this season so far, and that was against Brighton so I would rather see the first 4/5 league games and then comment on the squad.

Personally think the following:

Both goalkeepers are average. Smith has potential but I'm not sure he will be at the same level at Bentley.

Two right backs. One can get forward but can't defend and the other is the opposite.

Left back is quite solid with coker being the more solid of the two but consistently injured.

Anton and turner worry me. I can't see either being particularly fit for a season. We have only white as cover.

Midfield is a minefield.

Wordsworth is cracking but always Injured.
Lenny, Is he the same player now?
Yearwood has potential potential but a lot to learn.
Timlin is committed but a liability with limited ability.

McLaughlin. See coker
Kightly. Big deal big money. I worry about motivation tbh.
McGlashan. Plays his part.
Cox. Class act
Fortune. Good player with minimal goal threat.
Robinson. Sub player. Even less goal threat
Ranger. Will need to get fit....AGAIN!

As previously said. On paper we have a good squad. That said it's the oldest squad we have had for a long while and definately the most injury prone.

We need a young experienced centre half and a solid midfielder asap. We could get damaged by Blackburn opening day.

For me there is no equal comparison with last season's squad start.
Oxley (before injury) had come good and he will be No 1; he has an understanding now with most of the squad so will, IMO (& hope!) be better than last season.
The back is better, no Thommo BUT Anton is fit and ready. A N Other CB needed.
Midfield and wings good (if Len stays) and better when Woody is back. A N Other CM needed.
Up front SO much better, lots of options and will be stronger when Nile is back too.

Keep the faith! PB and Ron will lead us to the promised land!

...............................oxley.........................
Demetriou.....white......ferdinand.....hendrie
kightly......leonard......timlin......mclaughlin
................fortune.........cox........................

Robinson,mcglashan,yearwood,smith,mazusuka,ba,klass

(Got a sense of Deja Vu this coming season, and moreover that this time we'll start slowly but not recover.

I am really excited about Kightly, who I believe will be a huge asset once fit. However I still have reservations about our GK options, lack of pace in the CB position and also feel we need a bit of steel CM and front man who can compliment Cox.

Starting line up -v- Blackbin Liners;

I'd go for

Oxley
Demetriou
Coker (if fit)
Ferdinand
Turner (if fit)
Kightly
Leonard
Yearwood (unless Wordsworth is fit)
McLaughlin
Cox
MAF

Have a feeling that we'll see White in for Turner, Hendrie in for Coker and Timlin instead of Dru - and it will be a long afternoon

Concerns:
Oxley / Smith - neither command their area, and neither are vocal enough (Both need to take notes from Walton, who was more vocal, even during his first game for us, and oozed confidence in his area)

Coker / Hendrie - one of my favourite players, however injury seems to have blighted him recently. We really need him fit and on top of his game if we are going to push for top 6. / Hendrie hasn't impressed so far, even when he was here on loan he only had one really good games the rest were average.

Ferdinand / Turner - Really disappointed to lose Thompson, who really complemented AF. Would like to see a quick young CB in the mix with either of the 2 oldies. Hopefully they can stay fit and experience will compensate for their lack of speed. Both are likely to be injured or unfit at some stage so quick fix needed by Phil.

Lenny - He goes, he stays? He needs to make up his mind, and if he stays I expect 100% from him, 110% really as he always gives. Love the guy but he needs to make a choice ASAP.

Wordsworth / McLaughlin - Can they stay fit and get back to top form for the start of the season?

Strikers (in general) - I expect Cox to top his tally from last season, but who should he be paired with? Ideally Ranger, but when he will be physically or mentally fit is anyone's guess,. MAF I like, but he's another one like AF. Robinson - still not sure about him, and then what else? Triallist? Hmm...

Dru Yearwood though?! The new Dele Ali ? We live in hope.

So, apart from that I'm hopeful of a good season and top 2 finish :smile:

Lenny - He goes, he stays? He needs to make up his mind, and if he stays I expect 100% from him, 110% really as he always gives. Love the guy but he needs to make a choice ASAP.:

He has made his choice! It doesn't seem like it is down to him though. It's down to the man with the hair.

He has made his choice! It doesn't seem like it is down to him though. It's down to the man with the hair.

I see your point, he probably wants out but RM ain't letting him go on the cheap - although Lenny did rescind his transfer request for some reason?

The squad still needs strengthening but I believe we are starting in a far stronger position than last year....

Simon Cox took awhile to settle in and our other options were David Mooney and Jason Williams. An established Cox, together with Fortune, Robinson and potentially Ba sounds a lot better. The Nile Ranger position is pretty much the same as last year.

In midfield we have added Michael Kightly so should be an upgrade on last year.

The defence is the most worrying area and was vastly improved last season with the addition of Anton Ferdinand. At least we are starting with him this year.

Good to see the flat caps can still make the occasional appearance to trigger a healthy debate..

We know we are not going to have huge strength in depth as the strategy is quality over quality- one that with limited resource most if not nearly all have agreed with.

I think the best measure is to remember last year and then look at the ins and outs:

Off the top of my head

Atko replaced by Knightly- upgrade
Thompson by Turner- I think upgrade
O'Neil by Hendrie- upgrade
Mooney by Ba (tbc)- tbh with the others its Ba's pace and energy that would bring something we need- no worse

Yearwood- a wonderful bonus, like a new signing- upgrade to squad

So IF the two remaining incoming (the CB and CM) are clear upgrades then to me the fact that we are much stronger this year will be indisputable.

IF neither came in then we are stronger

I would say the difference is with the latter is we will make the playoffs. With the former the playoffs but pushing for the top 2. Lets see what the next week brings..

My take on the squad is that yet again we look badly prepared for the start of the season. Even though I like all of our players and I do rate them, there are too many crocks in one squad.

-Wordsworth is arguably our best player but we barely manage to get him on the pitch
-Coker seems to have been injured for ages and has been for large periods of the last 2 or 3 seasons
-Ferdinand worries me every time he goes into a challenge, although he hasn't yet suffered a proper injury with us, I worry he's one challenge away from being out for the season.
-Turner, barely played a game but is now injured. Who's knows for how long?
-Kightly has a poor injury record to be polite, hopefully he will be ok but again who knows.
-Mclaughlin seems to be a walking injury for the 3rd season running yet we've given him a 3 year contract
-Ranger since he has been with us comes across a extremely unfit footballer and now he's be banged up for a few months he's going to be even worse. Again gets injured way too much!

Way too many players to worry about and now we're in the situation that know one wants to be in, barely any fit players and not enough players signed up.

IMO we need a CM, CB & ST. Ideally I wouldn't want to lose Lenny but would also want another winger in there as well. Will we get any of those? It isn't looking fantastic.

Let's just hope our start to the season is better than last. Maybe that means shutting up shop for the first few games just to get a point, at least it would be better point return than the start of last season. Problem is, we're not capable of shutting up shop.

Back