• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Langham Blue

Sorry to post such a trivial item, but can someone explain to me why when we had a free Tuesday last week, is there full program of Div 1 games that clash with Champions league nights. Obviously this had an adverse affect of last nights crowd being only 5,800.
This is not a one off either , are the club better off ( Can we ?) moving these fixtures to free dates to maximise crowd + atmosphere

Someone pointed out earlier that our attendance was actually up on last year when we played Oxford on a Tuesday night.

Last week was a league cup night.

There is always going to be something clashing unfortunately and Tuesday night games will always be lower.

Does it really have an affect.

Do people really decide not to watch Southend because Manchester City or Tottenham are on the TV?

I think it's a lower crowd because it's a Tuesday school night and we've got another home game on Saturday.

Soon you'll be able to watch the mid-week games on line without VPNs and dodgy accounts. Seaso's and hardened fans will always attend, whilst us exiles and SUFC as a "second club" generally won't, not to mention for anyone under 18 it's a school night.

Do people really decide not to watch Southend because Manchester City or Tottenham are on the TV?

I think it's a lower crowd because it's a Tuesday school night and we've got another home game on Saturday.

"School night" is a massive factor, not only for adults being able to get home in time for the game but because many families dont go to midweek games so the family sections always quieter.

As you say though, if someone is dedicated enough to their football to support Southend and go to games are they really the type to be put off because some northern team is on telly?

Makes a small difference I suspect, sadly a lot of our support hanker after a 'big' club too. A bigger part of it is probably people who live outside of Southend choosing not to come. The drive into the town is a total pig from pretty much whichever direction you come in. I hate Tuesday night games, it takes me a good hour+ to get in from Chelmsford after work and it's a total battleground all the way.

Those who have kids probably less likely to come and as there's another home game on Saturday some would have sacked off last night knowing they haven't got long to wait for their football fix.

That was certainly the case for me. I pondered going last night, remembered I'd be lucky to get home before midnight (two trains, two tubes, and a drive home from the station), then reckoned that Saturday's trip will be enough for one week.

A bit weak maybe and I'll hopefully get to a midweek game before Christmas but such is life.

Champions League certainly did not have an impact on my decision but then I don't, like some fans, also follow a top flight side. Whether we like it or not, there are plenty such folk.

Someone pointed out earlier that our attendance was actually up on last year when we played Oxford on a Tuesday night.

Last week was a league cup night.

There is always going to be something clashing unfortunately and Tuesday night games will always be lower.
Yep the crowd for Oxford home game at the same time last season was 5,593 and there were 440 Oxford fans. So last night about 400 home fans up on last season.
As you say Midweek games are probably always going to clash with a live TV game.

As current tickets sales stand it looks like we will only get around 6,200 to 6,500 crowd v Blackpool on Saturday

We have 3 home games in a row don't forget Reading next week. Looks like we have sold about 300 tickets so far. Could the crowd be below 1,000?

Champions League certainly did not have an impact on my decision but then I don't, like some fans, also follow a top flight side. Whether we like it or not, there are plenty such folk.

Aye, when I tell people who I support some are bemused that I don't follow a Prem side also.

Sorry to post such a trivial item, but can someone explain to me why when we had a free Tuesday last week, is there full program of Div 1 games that clash with Champions league nights. Obviously this had an adverse affect of last nights crowd being only 5,800.
This is not a one off either , are the club better off ( Can we ?) moving these fixtures to free dates to maximise crowd + atmosphere

I think it is because we didn't qualify for The Champions League.

Rubbish! me and my mate both live in South London and made our way down. Tough without the Prittlewell line but got a c2c at 10 and I was home about 11:30.
But then neither of us has kids and we both have understanding womenfolk

We have 3 home games in a row don't forget Reading next week. Looks like we have sold about 300 tickets so far. Could the crowd be below 1,000?

We can only hope. At the risk of firing this one up again, it's an insult we have to play against Reading's reserves.

Yeah if I can trek from South London then people should be able to make the effort from Chelmsford and the like. I doubt the Champions League has much impact anymore coz it’s not on terrestrial these days so not as accessible as it once was.

As a relative exile I do find the Tuesday night matches a bit tougher to be motivated for attendance wise, but there is a beauty about having that pre-match buzz at work all day and then hopping on the train at 5:30.

Rubbish! me and my mate both live in South London and made our way down. Tough without the Prittlewell line but got a c2c at 10 and I was home about 11:30.
But then neither of us has kids and we both have understanding womenfolk

Good stuff. I never missed a midweek game in those glorious pre-children days...

On the plus side, when I go at weekends now I bring my wife and children with me, so that's four tickets bought rather than one!

Good stuff. I never missed a midweek game in those glorious pre-children days...

On the plus side, when I go at weekends now I bring my wife and children with me, so that's four tickets bought rather than one!

My wife refuses flatly to go, I think it was a game in December that was so nippy the Night King would have popped on a thermal vest that killed her enjoyment. Dad and daughter day on Saturday :happy:

Yes.

Crowds are always down on Fourth and Upwards Cup Knockout European Revenue Securing League nights.

Been like that for a number of years.

What, even when BT Sport have the rights?

You may well be right. I'm just surprised that it's a factor at all.

Being a school night with another game at the weekend, yes definitely.

Watching some Champions League group match on subscription TV. No, just can't see it being a pivotal decision maker, with possibly the exception of, say, a Man Utd supporting family living in Bury, who might otherwise have gone to see them on Tuesday night.

Not for anyone choosing it over watching Southend, I wouldn't have thought.

I guess the weather plays a part. If it's cold and/or wet some people are going to want to stay in the warm with a cuppa.

Back