• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Conservative party conference 2017

fair enough that you have your guesses on what a Labour government would or wouldn't do but at this point in time we have manifestos that are just a few months old and party conferences that are days old so we have plenty of policy to judge without judging on which policy you assume will get dropped.

Ask a question about the Tories and you get an answer about Labour. The Tories were doing it themselves at conference. Taking on board Corbyn and Milliband policies one minute and slating Labour using conjecture rather than policy the next.

On the thread about the Tory conference is a bit telling that they don't have enough about them for the conversation to stay about them, let alone have some positivity.

Oh come on ***, you accused TM of something anyone with just a brief knowledge of modern politics would know hasn't ever and will not ever change regardless of who gets into Downing Street. I know you'll defend the Labour party come hell or high water but even you know I'm right on this point.

Well, that depends of course on whether you base your beliefs, guesses, assumptions and opinions on reasoned common sense or blind loyalty.

But then nothing ever makes sense at a leftie Labour conference does it chap?:dim:

Thought leader Jeremy Corbyn made a lot of sense in his excellent speech.

Just taking the highlighted point.

If, God forbid, JC were Prime Minister I can 100% guarantee nothing would change and the sale of British made arms and arms components to Saudi Arabia would go on unabated. Absolutely nothing would change. No British Prime Minister in history has ever gone up against the wholesale arms business and none ever will, JC included.

We will see.

Oh come on ***, you accused TM of something anyone with just a brief knowledge of modern politics would know hasn't ever and will not ever change regardless of who gets into Downing Street. I know you'll defend the Labour party come hell or high water but even you know I'm right on this point.

Well, that depends of course on whether you base your beliefs, guesses, assumptions and opinions on reasoned common sense or blind loyalty.
I was merely replying to Shrimpers Are Magic's post - he had specific points to answer so I did - by selling arms to the Saudi's we are facilitating the murder of Yemini's - to assume Labour would do the same does not change the fact that she is arming terrorists right now

Anyway - as this thread is about the Conservative conference - anyone got anything positive to say about it?

No...in many ways they are plumbing the depths of uselessness.

One telling fact I read is that the average age of a conservative party member is now 71...I have no idea about Labour but would imagine it is far lower.

One telling fact I read is that the average age of a conservative party member is now 71...I have no idea about Labour but would imagine it is far lower.

The tories have got a massive 'young person' problem.

53 average age of Labour members and 71 Tories. The Tories don't release membership figures but it's been reported that they have lost 40,000 members over the last two years and has dipped under 100,000 which is less than the LibDems. Labour membership is 600,000+
With the organisational skills of Momentum in action for Labour it means the Tories are well behind with doorstep activists and using the power of social media and makes them over reliant on traditional media. The membership figures are being discussed among Tories as a big problem for them.

the police are obviously showing an interest in his activities in the 70's - shame Boris Johnson doesn't do the same after blaming Labour for the 3 day week in 1974 when of course that was when Ted Heath was in power for the Tories.

Facts have never been his strong point - like admitting you're the father, the £350M p/w was a lie or that he's a terrible racist. Our Foreign Secretary everyone. :thumbdown:

53 average age of Labour members and 71 Tories. The Tories don't release membership figures but it's been reported that they have lost 40,000 members over the last two years and has dipped under 100,000 which is less than the LibDems. Labour membership is 600,000+
With the organisational skills of Momentum in action for Labour it means the Tories are well behind with doorstep activists and using the power of social media and makes them over reliant on traditional media. The membership figures are being discussed among Tories as a big problem for them.

That would coincide pretty much with the article I read, which was focused on how the Tory party were lagging behind in terms of activism, and the lack of progression.

It appears that in their fringe meetings at Conference, the only ones that were full or over subscribed were where people wanted to hear Jacob Rees Mogg.

That would coincide pretty much with the article I read, which was focused on how the Tory party were lagging behind in terms of activism, and the lack of progression.

It appears that in their fringe meetings at Conference, the only ones that were full or over subscribed were where people wanted to hear Jacob Rees Mogg.
they get a mixed reaction but people like Rees-Mogg and Johnson do spark a bit of life into proceedings - I can well imagine that if you were at the conference those would be the two that would make you feel that you had actually witnessed something that you wouldn't instantly forget

they get a mixed reaction but people like Rees-Mogg and Johnson do spark a bit of life into proceedings - I can well imagine that if you were at the conference those would be the two that would make you feel that you had actually witnessed something that you wouldn't instantly forget

Johnson is a character, but in a buffoonish sort of way, Ree's Mogg is certainly a gifted speaker but not sure whether he isn't a bit of a one trick pony.

I'd like to question how and why the announcements on the findings regarding Ted Heath were almost absolutely in line with when the Tory conference was on. Almost as if it was deliberate - and what an utter waste of time and money that was, almost everyone with something to say has been discredited.

Powerful people accused of some of the most despicable crimes imaginable and people call an investigation into the accusations 'a waste of time and money'

Powerful people accused of some of the most despicable crimes imaginable and people call an investigation into the accusations 'a waste of time and money'

Not "people", just me so far. The investigation has gone on for two years and produced little evidence, certainly little that might have been the basis of a prosecution. Heath was no Jimmy Savile, that is why I say it was a waste of time and money, that would have been far better used in providing more man power out on the streets dealing with the **** that is currently going on in this country.

Not "people", just me so far. The investigation has gone on for two years and produced little evidence, certainly little that might have been the basis of a prosecution. Heath was no Jimmy Savile, that is why I say it was a waste of time and money, that would have been far better used in providing more man power out on the streets dealing with the **** that is currently going on in this country.

Just because evidence hasn't been found, doesn't mean the initial investigation was a waste of time.

This quote from the Conservative chief whip when Ted Heath was PM is very disturbing - essentially MPs would come for help for things like child rape, and some in the party would help them out knowing that from that moment on they would do whatever they were asked for the party.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...-cover-up-a-scandal-involving-small-boys.html

I take the same attitude that I took with Rotherham Council / police / social services - anyone who withheld information on child abuse should be charged as an accessory.

I'd like to question how and why the announcements on the findings regarding Ted Heath were almost absolutely in line with when the Tory conference was on. Almost as if it was deliberate - and what an utter waste of time and money that was, almost everyone with something to say has been discredited.

Quite frankly-and I'm fairly obviously no supporter of Ted Heath's-I find it diifficult to believe he could have been involved with anything so sordid as paedophila.

I agree, by the way, that the Tory conference was "an utter waste of time and money". :winking:

Quite frankly-and I'm fairly obviously no supporter of Ted Heath's-I find it diifficult to believe he could have been involved with anything so sordid as paedophila.

I agree, by the way, that the Tory conference was "an utter waste of time and money". :winking:

Always been rumours about Heath, possibly because he never married.

Back