• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AndyT

Lord of the Reedy River
Been giving this a bit of thought.

Whilst most games are penalty free, there are matches where it could be crucial to slot one home.

So, who should take them?

I did a bit of delving on Josh Wright and he actually only scored 4 penalties last season. Obviously the famous three, plus the other one was against us, when Cody McDonald received a 9.5 from the judges!

Josh also took one penalty this season for Gillingham, against MK Dons, and missed it.

However, he seems the most likely candidate to step-up.

I actually think Wordy could take a decent penalty, too.

As for the rest of them, well it's a lottery, in truth.

Last edited:
Maybe, like other sports, we should be able to wheel on a penalty-taker, just for that purpose.

Or, maybe, have a draw before the game and a member of the crowd can step-up from their seat in the stands! :cool:

From my own observations, Josh Wright is the best. Ranger is about fifth. So I was a bit shocked when listening on the radio that Lenny had handed him the ball. I thought oh dear this is only 50/50 before he had even taken it.

As I wasn't there, did it look like Ranger was the designated taker or did he pick the ball up and decide himself he was taking it like he did at Fleetwood? I thought Cox was our penalty-taker.

Wordsworth took them for a while last season and I can't recall him ever missing one. Assume he'll be on them from now on.

As I wasn't there, did it look like Ranger was the designated taker or did he pick the ball up and decide himself he was taking it like he did at Fleetwood? I thought Cox was our penalty-taker.

Cox has handed over penalty taking duty after missing. Lenny handed the ball to Ranger, probably trying to give him an easy goal to boost his confidence. But it's the sort of thing you do when 2-0 up, otherwise you use your best penalty taker, and that's Josh Wright.

To be honest. When I saw Ranger step up to take the penaIty i thought "oh no this ain't going to be good" but you hope upon hope that it will go in.
Then it did not, and the Portsmouth fans erupted.
To me he has not been consistent enough this season I much rather someone else who has played every match and who is on form.
But hay ho, the ups and downs of following SUFC I suppose.

Anyone else remember during the 1st DW era (roughly 89/90) us going through about 6 player's (after they had all missed) before finally finding someone that could score from the spot (IB)?

Do the players have penalty practice?

If not why don't the club start having a penalty training session/competition each week.

All players that would like to take penalties, takes 20+ penalties against Oxley/Smith etc, whoever scores the most, takes any penalty in the next game.

This would improve the competitive spirit in the squad, give everyone much needed shouting practice, give our goalkeepers a good workout, and most importantly our best penalty taker takes any penalty in the next game.

Watching sufc take penalties is like watching England ... you pretty much know it isn't going to end well......brown said there isn't a designated penalty taker... what's the old comment , if you fail to prepare , prepare to fail...? Laughable situation...

If Cox didn't fancy it, then Lenny should, in my opinion, have been next up. I'd much rather someone just put their laces through it than all the fancy placement (although he can place too). I expect Woody to be back on them when next available. In Woody, Lenny and Wright we have three who could and should all be able to convert quite easily.

Do the players have penalty practice?

If not why don't the club start having a penalty training session/competition each week.

All players that would like to take penalties, takes 20+ penalties against Oxley/Smith etc, whoever scores the most, takes any penalty in the next game.

This would improve the competitive spirit in the squad, give everyone much needed shouting practice, give our goalkeepers a good workout, and most importantly our best penalty taker takes any penalty in the next game.

The problem with that is that there's no pressure in a training situation, any professional footballer should be able to pick their spot from the penality spot and hit it but when you've got thousands of fans trying to put you off it becomes a lot harder, especially if you are behind/drawing at the time. As a result we're just going to have to cycle through players until we find someone that can take them.

If Cox didn't fancy it, then Lenny should, in my opinion, have been next up. I'd much rather someone just put their laces through it than all the fancy placement (although he can place too). I expect Woody to be back on them when next available. In Woody, Lenny and Wright we have three who could and should all be able to convert quite easily.

Nile Ranger tried that theory yesterday......Doesn't always work. :winking:

Nile Ranger tried that theory yesterday......Doesn't always work. :winking:

Nile Ranger is the biggest waste of space to ever wear a Southend shirt. I'm not a PB out man at all but I blame him for the way he's supported such a person.

I watched the highlights and I'm convinced he wanted to take the penalty so he could gloat at the Pompey fans. That's not a reason to take a penalty. It should be because you want to score for the club who pays your wages.

It's all about him.

Nile Ranger is the biggest waste of space to ever wear a Southend shirt. I'm not a PB out man at all but I blame him for the way he's supported such a person.

Not been going for very long ?

Back