• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Any ground that you can't get back from via public transport is a no from me (though for Carlisle that is the case for a 3pm kick off!)

Didn't use to be.Remember travelling there by train to see Fulham in a 6th round FA CUP game back in 75.Don't think I've ever seen sheep grazing, on the way to a ground before.:smiles:

Division 4 regional sounds like a decent idea to me, incorporating the conference, as well, so the 5 divisions, as 'Rigsby' and 'Ozzie' mentioned above. The other night Gateshead travelled to Torquay. That can't be financially viable.

Did you hear on the radio about the Gateshead fan that went by public transport to that game? 44 hours travelling! He used Megabus - cheap (very) but he left Newcastle (I think it was) at about 11 p.m. Monday night! :Worthy:

It's good to see the fixtures committee (or whatever it is) take supporters into consideration. :dim:

Did you hear on the radio about the Gateshead fan that went by public transport to that game? 44 hours travelling! He used Megabus - cheap (very) but he left Newcastle (I think it was) at about 11 p.m. Monday night! :Worthy:

It's good to see the fixtures committee (or whatever it is) take supporters into consideration. :dim:

Needless to say it's not a committee. It's all done by computer. There are so many variables that are input that some hard away games are inevitable. Frankly it's a thankless task.

Division 4 regional sounds like a decent idea to me, incorporating the conference, as well, so the 5 divisions, as 'Rigsby' and 'Ozzie' mentioned above.

The other night Gateshead travelled to Torquay. That can't be financially viable.

The plan that I mentioned said 3 divisions of 20 teams and then add 8 more Conference clubs to have a North and South 4th tier with 20 teams in each.....That would get my vote.

No need for national travelling if your not in the top 60 for fans and players alike. If you were relegated from the 3rd division then at least their would be the consolation of more local derby's.

They could then shake up and improve the non league scene as I know certain part-time players have turned down, or moved from Conference clubs because of the ravelling involved. Plus if clubs like ours loaned some of our young lads out it would be much better if they were playing in a more regional based league.

With league games played just on Saturdays the smaller clubs could actually make a proper effort in the Cups.

Doubt clubs would welcome losing out on income from having 3 less home games.

I don't think it's as simple as that. The clubs will also have 3 less away games to travel to. It might even lead to higher home attendances for various reasons: one being that more games will actually be important since each league will be smaller. It will also lead to less midweek games, and more games at weekends so away attendances may well be higher.

The problem is that they are all unknowns and clubs will probably be reluctant to take what they consider to be a gamble.

I don't think it's as simple as that. The clubs will also have 3 less away games to travel to. It might even lead to higher home attendances for various reasons: one being that more games will actually be important since each league will be smaller. It will also lead to less midweek games, and more games at weekends so away attendances may well be higher.

The problem is that they are all unknowns and clubs will probably be reluctant to take what they consider to be a gamble.

How would it lead to more games at weekends?

Doubt clubs would welcome losing out on income from having 3 less home games.

I did mention earlier that under that plan the lower league teams would get more TV money. Which would more than cover the loss of 4 home games, as they would be on Tuesdays anyway.

The plan that I mentioned said 3 divisions of 20 teams and then add 8 more Conference clubs to have a North and South 4th tier with 20 teams in each.....That would get my vote.

No need for national travelling if your not in the top 60 for fans and players alike. If you were relegated from the 3rd division then at least their would be the consolation of more local derby's.

They could then shake up and improve the non league scene as I know certain part-time players have turned down, or moved from Conference clubs because of the ravelling involved. Plus if clubs like ours loaned some of our young lads out it would be much better if they were playing in a more regional based league.

With league games played just on Saturdays the smaller clubs could actually make a proper effort in the Cups.

Trouble is even with a North/South split we could end up in the bottom division with games at Plymouth, Torquay, Exeter, Newport, Forest Green, Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham, Yeovil and possibly some northern teams like Notts County, Mansfield that would have to be in the Southern division to make up the numbers.

On the plus side we could end up with local derbies at Leyton Orient, Bromley, Ebbsfleet and maybe even if we are lucky one day at Billericay.

I can't see the Football League being expanded to more than 72 teams.

I did mention earlier that under that plan the lower league teams would get more TV money. Which would more than cover the loss of 4 home games, as they would be on Tuesdays anyway.

Rather simplistic, how would 'more tv money' be distributed when there's a big disparity between the likes of say a Luton and a Morecambe
in size of gates and each clubs potential loss of income due to less home gates plus all associated money earning activities on a matchday?

Trouble is even with a North/South split we could end up in the bottom division with games at Plymouth, Torquay, Exeter, Newport, Forest Green, Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham, Yeovil and possibly some northern teams like Notts County, Mansfield that would have to be in the Southern division to make up the numbers.

On the plus side we could end up with local derbies at Leyton Orient, Bromley, Ebbsfleet and maybe even if we are lucky one day at Billericay.

Reminds me of the National League North a few years ago - Bishops Stortford had to play in that division as there were so many southern teams in that tier.

We do go regional at a much lower level than most countries - not until the sixth tier, whereas in Spain, Portugal and Italy they go regional from the third tier and Germany and France from the fourth. The latter too are much bigger than us of course and Spain do have to factor in those long away trips from the Canary Islands!

Reminds me of the National League North a few years ago - Bishops Stortford had to play in that division as there were so many southern teams in that tier.

We do go regional at a much lower level than most countries - not until the sixth tier, whereas in Spain, Portugal and Italy they go regional from the third tier and Germany and France from the fourth. The latter too are much bigger than us of course and Spain do have to factor in those long away trips from the Canary Islands!

Yep that was crazy situation with Bishop Stortford.
Almost as bad as when Southend were in the Southern League Div 2 1912/13 season. 10 Welsh teams out of 13 teams in the Division. The only other 2 English teams were Luton and Croydon.

I wonder how away many fans we took to Mid Rhondda or Mardy. I bet Phil Cox would have gone had he been around then:hilarious:

Apparently they were pretty hostile places to visit. They didn't like us much then either!

Yep that was crazy situation with Bishop Stortford.
Almost as bad as when Southend were in the Southern League Div 2 1912/13 season. 10 Welsh teams out of 13 teams in the Division. The only other 2 English teams were Luton and Croydon.

!!! Never knew that - great info.

Its actually only another 8 clubs to make it the full 100.

Lets say it happened at the end of this season. Then 7 would come done from the Championship and 8 go down from L1 (with usual promotions). That would make L1 a much stronger competition from next season onwards.

Its actually only another 8 clubs to make it the full 100.

Lets say it happened at the end of this season. Then 7 would come done from the Championship and 8 go down from L1 (with usual promotions). That would make L1 a much stronger competition from next season onwards.

No club is going to agree to that, especially those in the Championship who get more money through televised games than those in Lg1.

Back