• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm not negative Powell, think he is a great guy and really hopes he succeeds, but today was terrible.

Wrong formation, wrong team selection, negative tactics, poor substitutions. However the players are more to blame.

Wordsworth was awful one again, looks disinterested and I truly hope we just let him leave on a free in the summer.

Mass clear out needed, I have counted at least 12 that need to go. Worry is the 3 panic signings that Powell made all look hopeless as well!

Below par performance today, long and disappointing day all round.

Not sure why we didn’t play 442 today. Oxford are an average side, and Cox as a lone striker simply does not work and we got what we deserved.

Coker was unusually awful, and was one of several players caught sleeping for their 1st before getting injured - only saving grace was Elvis coming on and having great game.

So 2 down at H/T, after questionable offside for their 2nd and Dru clipping the post I expected us to throw the kitchen sink at them, however too many of our players threw in the towel. That said we had still a missed chances, but then again so did Oxford.

Only positives for me were Elvis, and Dru. Would also like to see some more of the youngsters given a chance; such as Acquah, Batlowka, and Wabo (get him back - Harrison was a headless chicken today)...

First trip to the Kassam, bizarre 3 sided soulless place - For all it’s faults I love the atmosphere at Roots Hall, warts and all.

Why oh why didn't Robinson come on? When Powell brought him on at Blackburn last week he re-energised the side and almost helped us get a point.
Yes he hadn't been great of late, but at least he is one of our players, whereas Harrison now looks like he couldn't care less and would prefer Spurs reserves. Also I think we binned McGlashan too early, as today my gran could have done better than McLaughlin and she has been dead for thirty years ( God rest her soul).

By the way,two appalling decisions by the lineswoman today, although the second goal was not offside, so she got something right. She gave us a throw-in when the ball had gone at least two feet over the line for a goal kick, and just prior to the first goal, she missed the ball hitting the underside of the bar and going in for what should have been an Oxford goal. Plus several occasions when she only made a decision after looking first towards what the referee was giving. Poor in the extreme, but not half as poor as the excuse for a football team in blue were today.

negative setup ,with Cox alone up front never going to win ,SCP set up the team for a 0-0 draw,aweful ,dire glad i wasnt there to see this.Massive clearout needed end off the season, as for rest of the season give some off the youths a run ,eperience will do them good ,Wabo,kyps,Acquah, Elvis Batlowka,Matsuaka. and any others who knocking on the door .

If PB had picked such a negative starting line up against a struggling side he'd have been crucified. CP shouldn't be immune to criticism just because he's had a decent start. I can understand one up front against a rampant Blackburn team, but against Oxford? I'm sorry it smacks of a lack of ambition, we got what we deserved.

I've been one of Theo Robinson's critics this season but against Gillingham he was great. What's his reward been? Kick your heels on the bench son. :sad:

Not much to write home about really that we haven't already heard this season.

Terrible performance once again away from home today. Poor team selection & tactics.
Before the match, looking at our sub bench and seeing Robinson and Wright with only 2 league goals between them all season, didn't feel me with confidence if we went behind as a replacement for Cox, especially playing in a 4-5-1.

Currently i'm not even confident we can get a point away at Oldham, let alone Bradford.

Looking at that current league position, it seems an age away since it appeared that we were sitting comfortably in 11th place, until you realise it was only on Tuesday afternoon.
Talking of Oldham & midweek fixtures, they have a real 6 pointer on Tuesday night V Rochdale, a win for Rochdale or even a draw will bring us another point closer to the relegation zone.

As for Injury updates, listening to SCP on the BBC post match interview, he confirmed that they both have thigh problems, he said he hopes its not season ending injuries for Coker and Turner.
In which case I would imagine they are both missing for the MK Dons clash next Saturday & maybe away to Oldham on the following Tuesday. No mention of how long Sam Mantom is out for though.

We are more likely to get something at Bradford than Oldham given Bradford's dreadful home record, their current form and the fact that Oldham have something to play for. Also that lad Duckens Nazon looks way too good for this league and I dread to think how our defence will cope with his pace and trickery.

Today was awful. Combination of things went wrong really, we helped a team lacking confidence out with some very uncertain defending for the first goal - after that they were first to everything and simply wanted it more. The two early changes meant Powell had no wriggle room left, and despite creating loads of chances, absolutely nothing went for us. Seen a lot of flak for Wordsworth on social media and indeed it wasn't his day today but what I will say is Wordsworth was in and around Coxy a lot and actually was heavily involved in the chances we did create. Sadly nothing went right for him and I think he knows his race is run here which I think is a shame as I prefer him to Wright. We can't afford them both though, too similar.

Feel for Simon Cox. Really needs the ball played to his feet more, such a clever player. Could have had a couple today. Elvis was great, had the Oxford left back on toast a few times. One for the future but really has something. Unlucky Dru not to get his first goal.

Officials were on glue.

Just to add, I am the biggest pessimist going and I don't think we're in danger. Too much work to be done by too many teams below us.

If I were a Walsall fan I'd be getting the willies.

Best forget today, we are a different side at home. We have a rare and glorious opportunity to effectively relegate MK Franchise Plastic Scum next week (given Oldham will certainly beat us on the 24th as they are the home side) and I for one am looking forward to that possibility.

I'm not negative Powell, think he is a great guy and really hopes he succeeds, but today was terrible.

Wrong formation, wrong team selection, negative tactics, poor substitutions. However the players are more to blame.

Wordsworth was awful one again, looks disinterested and I truly hope we just let him leave on a free in the summer.

Mass clear out needed, I have counted at least 12 that need to go. Worry is the 3 panic signings that Powell made all look hopeless as well!

There's a player in Harrison, but he's a little lightweight. He will go on to good things. Ladapo is exactly the type of player we needed in terms of his attributes, but the gamble hasn't paid off. And I have no idea how you can possible say Mantom looks hopeless. He's been excellent in the matches I have seen. Powell had eight days to sign players for a club with an overstretched budget. You may be worried, but I'm not.

Lost interest in this non event long before the end, a meaningless match as the season draws to a finish that obviously can't come soon enough for the players and fans alike.What is most depessing is the complete negativity shown in sending out a side with that formation against a team like Oxford. Against Blackburn,understandable, but Oxford? Even worse, no lessons learnt from the Blackburn game, the main one being apparent that playing Cox alone upfront will never work. Our away form is a disgrace, not helped by bizarre team selections and formations, of which both Brown and Powell are equally culpable. Plainly, most of these players need to go as it appears no matter who is the manager, they can't be bothered to turn up on a consistent basis, but Powell's negativity away from home is not going to make away trips next season an enticing prospect. Watching on iFollow at least you can resort to channel hopping if it gets too boring.

Still not convinced CP is any kind of upgrade on PB. Does he get a free pass due to his time as a player with us?

Why oh why didn't Robinson come on? When Powell brought him on at Blackburn last week he re-energised the side and almost helped us get a point.

Did he? Must have missed that, thought we lost, slightly unfairly, but definitely lost! :unsure:

There's a player in Harrison, but he's a little lightweight. He will go on to good things. Ladapo is exactly the type of player we needed in terms of his attributes, but the gamble hasn't paid off. And I have no idea how you can possible say Mantom looks hopeless. He's been excellent in the matches I have seen. Powell had eight days to sign players for a club with an overstretched budget. You may be worried, but I'm not.

I know its all about opinions but I don't see not being able to head a ball, can't finish and no anticipation as attributes.

We certainly don't need to make the same mistakes as Bury or Port Vale the year before and have mass clear outs but like I said back in January we should have signed an experienced (at least Championship level) number 9 on loan. If we had then the knifes wouldn't already be drawn ready to stab CP in the back.

Last edited:
Since Christmas, we've scored 3 goals away from home and 2 of them were penalties and the other one was arguably an own goal!

What larks! :blush:

Spare a thought for the likes of Herman. He has done about 15/16 away days this season and hasn't seen us win. He has to go back to Chesterfield last season for his last away win.

Still not convinced CP is any kind of upgrade on PB. Does he get a free pass due to his time as a player with us?

Yes it seems that way. Under PB last few weeks SZ would be in melt down with tactics (lack off then) poor selections etc. Powell started welll but any knew manager would of changed our fortunes.

i agree wait till early next season to see how he gets on but he should be feeling under pressure

Yes it seems that way. Under PB last few weeks SZ would be in melt down with tactics (lack off then) poor selections etc. Powell started welll but any knew manager would of changed our fortunes.

i agree wait till early next season to see how he gets on but he should be feeling under pressure

I understand it's not "his" team as such, but his repeating the same things that led to the end of PB - players in odd positions, strange substitutions, players seemingly not motivated.

I really think that the away day hoodoo stuff has got into some of their heads. How can we be getting good results at home on our awful pitch but not away on (usually) much better ones?!

Back