• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimp and two veg

Youth Team
I've been so impresed with Elvis since he broke through with Phil Brown. He's a real SCP kind of player too, fantastic mobility, seems his attitude is good, has real pace and covers his centre backs intelligently. A ball winner that doesnt sell himself, whereas as much as i like Jason Dimi he just isnt in that vein of a player.
Yesterday was very interesting, i'd wondered about Dimi playing a midfield role and especially in the middle with Dru, we certainly could use an experienced player next to Dru who can spray the ball around and ive often thought Dimi could be that man. But he had a bit of a stinker really. I did wonder if Sir Chris had wanted to see if this midfield role in him, i wouldnt be suprised if he tried him there again, especially if Coker regains form. If Dimi is such a good goal grabber then i'd like to see hom further up the pitch, he is quite injury free. But for me, Elvis will be the next stand out player in our team. How fantastic to see our youngsters breaking into the team and standing out like that.

I agree about Elvis and thought he was unlucky to keep missing out when Dimi returned from international duty etc. However I thought he had his weakest game yesterday. Made a few misjudgements and it could have cost us. He is still young and I fully expect he will develop into a great player for us and make us some money at some point. I could see Dimi in a midfield of 3 but not 1 of 2.

Elvis has a bright future, no doubt about it but for me Dimi was one of our better players this season and improved as the season went on. That said, I wouldn’t be against seeing Elvis at right back with Dimi ahead of him (a position he played well whilst at Orient) whilst Kightly is unavailable now that we’ve got rid of JM.

....or White?

I think John has successfully converted to a central defender! Obviously he can fill in anywhere along the back.

Elvis shows a bit of naivety at times but that will improve with more game time. I like Demetriou but he's not a central midfielder, I think he will still be 1st choice at RB, but on occasions where we haven't got both Kightly and McLaughlin, then I'm quite happy to see him pushed forward with Elvis in at the back.

Elvis is going to be a very good player. At the moment Demetriou and Coker are in front of him but if only Brown had been brave enough to give Elvis a chance at left back once Timlin was found out in that position. Will be interesting to see how his career develops.

It's a tough one because in my opinion Demi is below par defensively and not suited to playing in a back four; he was a wing-back at Walsall and before that a left-sided midfielder at Orient. I could be wrong but I'm not sure he'd ever played as an orthodox right-back prior to joining us and he's looked very uncomfortable at times. But of course with the ball he's much happier and very decent going forward. In fact he was one of our most consistent players with his use of the ball in the opposing half.

Elvis looks a good prospect but was all at sea at left-back against BR. Not his position of course and you could tell because BR were clearly targeting him (and Kyprianou) on that side. He'll get better, though and he is quicker than Demi, which is an asset. I think CP will be an ideal mentor to get the best out of him. He's got a very promising career ahead.

Pre-season will be interesting - Dru came out of nowhere, for example, so things may change - but as it stands I'd stick with Demi for now.

Right back seems to me to be one of the manager's easiest decisions.
Demetriou is a strong experienced pro (who also creates and scores goals) and first choice. Elvis is a more than decent young prospect and learns his trade as cover.

for me you should always go with the younger play when they are broadly similar but Demetriou is a distance ahead at the moment. Elvis is a very promising youngster but no more yet. He was poor against Bristol which is fine, that happens, it just shows he has a way to go yet. I hope he goes an awful long way, preferably with us.
I personally would like to see Demetriou right midfield as I feel he could do the Atkinson job and balance things which would be a useful option to have. It might not work as some players need to get forward from deeper positions.
Overall, Demetriou is the man for me for now

I think Demetriou is underrated and it's clear he has leadership qualities that SCP values.

I like Elvis but is anyone else a little concerned over his lack of pace? I've been very surprised a couple of times where he's been beaten to balls I would have expected him to win. Clearly got some talent but he's a way off replacing Demetriou.

I think Demetriou is underrated and it's clear he has leadership qualities that SCP values.

I like Elvis but is anyone else a little concerned over his lack of pace? I've been very surprised a couple of times where he's been beaten to balls I would have expected him to win. Clearly got some talent but he's a way off replacing Demetriou.

Interesting, I also think he's a little slow and was amazed when Kris said, a few posts back, that he thought he was quicker than Demi.

Depending on who we have next season, I'd consider sending him out on loan to a L2 side. I do like him a lot but he needs the regular game time we can't guarantee him.

It was good to see CP have enough faith in Elvis to pay him at LB, not always agreed with by some on here. In fairness to Elvis he was up against a tough player on Saturday. Both him and Harry were given a good test. It did show how important it is for us to have a player like Turner, remember how well he dealt with Tom Eaves from Gillingham.

One noticeable thing was how easily Elvis was shielded off the ball when he tried to go past a defender. I don't buy into anyone under 21 is not strong enough. Having watched a few youth games the refs have made it non contact. If a defender just nudges someone its a foul. If you fall over for a slight shoulder to shoulder you get the foul. Using your body strength and balance is all part of football. The good news is that Dru has learnt that bit really well. As we have seen even with loanees form the PL, if you play non contact football from the age of 8 it is difficult to suddenly play the real game.

Demetriou has a 3 year +1 contract -he will be playing at right back. If it's pace we are worrying about then how about Coker? Elvis is lot stronger than Coker as well.

You cant expect Elvis playing at left back to perform at the same level as at right back -its different - as Paul Clark said -"at right back you look over your left shoulder and see your goalkeeper - at left back you see your mum sitting in the stand!"

A little extra time on the decision making process?

Elvis is a right back, his instincts and positioning are all about being a right back. Replacing Coker on the left? I don't think so. He did a not unreasonable job there when asked, but I really wouldn't want him there permanently. I truly believe that Elvis will develop into a firsst class professional and I would love it to be at Southend, but with the length of contract that Demi has it wouldn't surprise me if Elvis moved on. Maybe he will get his chance through injury, and like Yearwood, keep his place if he plays well. I hope so, as I really rate him. Back to orginal question, Demi has done enough this season to be our first choice at RB to start next season.

Demi all day long for me at the moment. Elvis will get his chance next season with international duty, injuries and Checkatrade games.

It doesn't always work to chuck youngsters in too early, after all Dru didn't look ready at the start of the season, but developed quickly and was the first name on the team sheet by the end.

This time next year it could be a very different conversation if Elvis carries on developing.

Demi all day long for me at the moment. Elvis will get his chance next season with international duty, injuries and Checkatrade games.

It doesn't always work to chuck youngsters in too early, after all Dru didn't look ready at the start of the season, but developed quickly and was the first name on the team sheet by the end.

This time next year it could be a very different conversation if Elvis carries on developing.

International duty. That is a point we could find our defence 50% light during internationals week next season.

Who is the other one then?
tDjmovi.jpg

Demetriou has a 3 year +1 contract -he will be playing at right back.

I'm not so certain. It was interesting to see CP move him to centre-mid and combined with Elvis playing left-back, it seems as if CP is trying to find space for Elvis in the team so I wonder if that's something we may see a bit more of next season?

Back