• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
It seems that the club is bearing fruit in terms of youth coming through to the u23s and the first team.

A good few have had an opportunity in the first team this season with one becoming a real find.

Who else is there to look out for?

I don't watch the youth or u23s but read the reports.

Sounds like:

Wabo isn't too far away and should get chances
Batlowka is being kept on and is rated
A few of the goal keepers look promising

Acquah looks a real talent and should hopefully get a run in the pre season matches or at least train with the first team.

It seems that our youth system is finally bearing genuine fruit.

Any others we should be keeping an eye on?

I also think that these players have much more of a chance under CP as he will give youth who have the quality a chance.

I heard that we rejected a six figure offer for a VERY young goalkeeper who is on our books. These deals seem to happen quite regularly so the set up also appears to be a source of income.

It seems that the club is bearing fruit in terms of youth coming through to the u23s and the first team.

A good few have had an opportunity in the first team this season with one becoming a real find.

Who else is there to look out for?
I don't watch the youth or u23s but read the reports.

Sounds like:

Wabo isn't too far away and should get chances
Batlowka is being kept on and is rated
A few of the goal keepers look promising

Acquah looks a real talent and should hopefully get a run in the pre season matches or at least train with the first team.

It seems that our youth system is finally bearing genuine fruit.

Any others we should be keeping an eye on?

I also think that these players have much more of a chance under CP as he will give youth who have the quality a chance.

Spot on TC - Kyps, Elvis, Ted Smith Nathan Bishop and Dru are already considered first team squad members so we could have half the side next season brought through the ranks. All credit to Ricky Duncan, Kevin Maher and the rest of the coaches for a good job well done.

Am sure there will be more added to that list by the end of the transfer window.

Is the reason we are starting to bring through good young players because we aren't accepting offers for them when they are younger? Maybe rejecting 6 figure sums when they are 15 is meaning players like Dru and Elvis reach our first team now and potentially offer us more profit in the long term, not to mention saving us transfer costs as we don't need to bring in new players.

Is the reason we are starting to bring through good young players because we aren't accepting offers for them when they are younger? Maybe rejecting 6 figure sums when they are 15 is meaning players like Dru and Elvis reach our first team now and potentially offer us more profit in the long term, not to mention saving us transfer costs as we don't need to bring in new players.

The accounts for 15 /16 and 16 / 17 show a total of over 2m in transfer income. Considering that doesn’t include Lenny I can only think that it’s Bentley , Payne and youngsters (with some sell ons being realised) all youth products (375k from Man City for the 14 year old etc) . That’s as good as I can remember.
Apart from a spell in the 80s , Engwell, Seadon, Prior, Edwards , Gymer I cant recall a spell in recent history where there has been that many youngsters coming through

Think having an U23s is great for them also in their developement,future really is looking bright,truly it must make the manager at the club feel happy also,knowing he has these youngmen he can call on in a crisis, I would add Southend must look like a good club to manage now to other managers out there.Just need to get the playing surface sorted out for next season ,thats a priority.

Not only Nico and Dan.

I'm surprised we released Harry Cuthburt, by some news, he sounded like a promising prospect for the future. I believe he was also the captain of our youth team.

Its not just down to the club when an offer comes in. In some cases it is right for the player to move on in others it will be the parents, better academy etc.

When Orient put 6 past us a few years back in the FA youth cup, I remember howls of shame on here. We had actually lost 6 players to higher clubs from that age group. Now with players like Dru being noticed in the PL. Parents and player alike can see their is a clear pathway for success by choosing SUFC and crucially if they stay with us and not see the £££££ on offer by the PL.

The academy costs around £400,000 per year. Parents have to pay for boys in the development squads, so some of it is self funding. That to me looks like money very well spent. Personally, I would much rather see a Dru, Elvis, Ted and a Norman rather than one Ricky Miller per season.

Back