• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Last game of season 1986/87, 2-0 win up at Stockport on the Friday night to win promotion.

I had that on VHS, got it from Stockport, lent it my neighbour Shane Westley and never saw it again!

A great night and of course Richard Cadette's shirt from the match is framed and in my house. :winking:

Ryan Leonard at Great Wakering Rovers, pre-season 2011/12. He scored from our half, and all the players around him just looked shocked. I've never seen it back, or know if any footage even exists...

Ryan Leonard at Great Wakering Rovers, pre-season 2011/12. He scored from our half, and all the players around him just looked shocked. I've never seen it back, or know if any footage even exists...

I’m pretty sure there was footage of that knocking about. I didn’t go to the game but remember seeing a video of it.

Southend 4 Newport County 2 after we were 2-0 down with about 15 minutes to go. I have never been so hoarse after a match!!! A few of us 17 year olds from SHSB ended up in the Cork and Cheese afterwards for a celebratory beer...

If I remember rightly this was the match where Dave Smith was unwell and John Lattimer took charge of the team that night and was smoking a cig on the bench. Two stunning freekicks from Gerry Fell.

How about Nathan Jones and his run from his own goal to the opposition box and then a cracking finish.

Last day of the season in 2000 and something.

Last game of season 1986/87, 2-0 win up at Stockport on the Friday night to win promotion.

I still have the VHS tape that I bought from Stockport County. Watching the game at Edgeley Park that Friday night was absolutely memorable, primarily due to what was at stake but particularly the reaction of the Wolves fans who were there to hopefully see us lose. The after match countless pints of Robinsons, and the overnight train back to Euston are forever etched in the memory.

Sadly watching the game afterwards on tape was something of a damp squib. In the cold light of day it comes over as a really poor quality game, but with two memorable goals and the right result.

Would love to see paul smiths saves again vs Brentford - would also love all the people who gave him so much grief also be forced to watch it - and then admit on his day who could be excellent

Last edited:
For pure comedy value Neil Townsend...

Typical big 'have it' clearance from Townsend sails down the centre of the pitch towards the South Bank. Catches the goal keeper on the edge of his penalty area, bounces in front of him and over his head. The keeper turns to retrieve it and falls/slips. The keeper crawls after the ball, groping and finally lunging for the ball but it is always tantalisingly out of reach.

We win 1-0.

Cant remember the season or the oppo. If i get a moment i try and research it

For pure comedy value Neil Townsend...

Typical big 'have it' clearance from Townsend sails down the centre of the pitch towards the South Bank. Catches the goal keeper on the edge of his penalty area, bounces in front of him and over his head. The keeper turns to retrieve it and falls/slips. The keeper crawls after the ball, groping and finally lunging for the ball but it is always tantalisingly out of reach.

We win 1-0.

Cant remember the season or the oppo. If i get a moment i try and research it

Under the Roots Hall floodlights Monday 21st April 1975 V Bury

Would love to see paul smiths saves again vs Brentford - would also love all the people who gave him so much grief also be forced to watch it - and then admit on his day who could be excellent

..........and the cross he didn't cut out for their first goal............

I wish the 1999 pre season friendly Southend United vs Southend Utd Supporters Club was taped . Alan Little played the full 1st team + then the rest of the 1st team squad in the 2nd half. The supporters played out of their skins and were in the game until the last 20 mins when fitness proved the difference.
One of the supporters scored a " worldie" - tackling Scott Houghton , taking the ball round Kevin Maher + pinging a screamer in top corner from 35 yards past Mel Capleton . In the bar afterwards Capleton said it was the best goal he's ever seen !!!!
I remember the supporters were asked in the changing room before the game to " go easy " on the tackles , but then later Mick Gooding came on as sub and like a headless chicken ran round kicking the fans up in the air all over the place !!!
Other memories : Roget was an angry young man , Martyn Margetson a brilliant goalie , knowing Nathan Jones was going to do his skippy step over but still unable to stop him ! Tolson + Morely great blokes , Newman, Booty + Coleman were proper solid pro's , Mark Beard never stopped running + Nobody , nobody would have guessed what a club legend Kev Maher would become!!!!

Even some photos from this brilliant game would be amazing.......

I wish the 1999 pre season friendly Southend United vs Southend Utd Supporters Club was taped . Alan Little played the full 1st team + then the rest of the 1st team squad in the 2nd half. The supporters played out of their skins and were in the game until the last 20 mins when fitness proved the difference.
One of the supporters scored a " worldie" - tackling Scott Houghton , taking the ball round Kevin Maher + pinging a screamer in top corner from 35 yards past Mel Capleton . In the bar afterwards Capleton said it was the best goal he's ever seen !!!!
I remember the supporters were asked in the changing room before the game to " go easy " on the tackles , but then later Mick Gooding came on as sub and like a headless chicken ran round kicking the fans up in the air all over the place !!!
Other memories : Roget was an angry young man , Martyn Margetson a brilliant goalie , knowing Nathan Jones was going to do his skippy step over but still unable to stop him ! Tolson + Morely great blokes , Newman, Booty + Coleman were proper solid pro's , Mark Beard never stopped running + Nobody , nobody would have guessed what a club legend Kev Maher would become!!!!

Even some photos from this brilliant game would be amazing.......

Fascinating! Can't see anything like that happening today.

How about Nathan Jones and his run from his own goal to the opposition box and then a cracking finish.

Last day of the season in 2000 and something.

Yep v Cheltenham Town. They didn't get in the play offs because of it!

Three, all in the late fifties. Firstly, my debut with the Blues..........a defeat but what a glorious one, 0-1 in the Cup against Man City. Surely worthwhile just to see Bert Trautmann's saves. I think the pitch was far worse, in comparison, to this season! Secondly, was my first away game......a 1-4 Cup victory at Colchester! :smile: Finally, our 2-1 victory against Liverpool (when they were in the Second division.....even though, check their squad! http://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/4819 ) Lovely, because my family from Liverpool had bought me a ticket in the East Stand, to sit with them.

Back