• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricky Otto

President⭐
We were discussing at work our sporting heroes and it was pretty much all footballers and from the clubs we support, which was a bit boring and predictable. So then we changed it to "non-football" and it was really quite interesting. So lets hear your non-football sporting heroes and the reason behind it?

Mine I struggled with, there were a few contenders but I settled on the universe boss, Chris Gayle. When I lived in Perth he played for WA Warriors (pre Perth Scorchers and the big bash). He was worth the ticket price alone and trips to the WACA were great watching him bully the bowlers. I then saw him again live at Essex when he signed for Somerset for a few t20 games, he is the only player I've seen clear the flats at Chelmsford, phenomenal power!

I love the IPL as well and he has put in some amazing displays!

Oh and all these records:

First batsman to score a century in each of international cricket's three formats of the game.
First batsman to score a triple century in test cricket, double century in ODI cricket and a century in T20 internationals. Virender Sehwag is the other batsman to achieve same feat.
First batsman to score a T20I century as well as a T20 World Cup century. He's also the only batsman to score two T20 World Cup tons. In fact, he holds the record for being the only batsman to score a T20I century in a losing cause as well as to score a T20I century in a winning cause. He too holds the record for being the only batsman to score a T20I century when batting first as well as when batting second.[SUP][88][/SUP]
First international player to carry his bat through the entire innings in Twenty20 International.[SUP][89][/SUP] He is also the only player to carry his bat in both tests and T20Is.
First player to hit a six off the first ball in the history of Test cricket.[SUP][3][/SUP]
First player of West Indies to hit a double century in ODIs as well as in World Cup history.
First batsman to score 10,000 Twenty20 runs in career.[SUP][90][/SUP][SUP][91][/SUP]
He was only the fifth player in ODI history and second from West Indies to score an ODI hundred in his 100th ODI.[SUP][92][/SUP]
Only player in world cricket to hit a triple hundred in Tests, a double hundred in ODIs and a hundred in Twenty20 Internationals.[SUP][93][/SUP]
He also holds a joint record along with Yuvraj Singh for hitting the fastest T20 half century in 12 balls.[SUP][94][/SUP]
In World Cup 2015, he hit the fastest double century against Zimbabwe. Therefore, he holds the record for the fastest double century in ODI history as well as in World Cup history (off 138 balls)[SUP][95][/SUP]
Gayle also holds the record for highest individual score in T20 which is 175* off just 66 balls against Pune Warriors India. Also holds the record for the highest individual score as an opener in Twenty20 cricket.[SUP][96][/SUP][SUP][97][/SUP]
Holds the record for the most number of sixes in T20I (100)[SUP][98][/SUP]
Leading runscorer in all forms of T20s (10074 runs-as of 18 April 2017)[SUP][99][/SUP]
Leading runscorer in ICC Champions Trophy history (791 runs)[SUP][100][/SUP]
Most runs in a single ICC Champions Trophy series (474 runs)[SUP][101][/SUP]
Gayle certainly has the unique record for scoring centuries in ICC U19 World Cup, ICC World Twenty20, ICC Cricket World Cup, ICC Champions Trophy as well as in ICC Cricket World Cup Qualifier.
Holds the record for the most runs scored by a player in any form of T20 in a losing cause (151*) and the only batsman to score 150 in a T20 innings in a losing cause.[SUP][102][/SUP]
He along with Marlon Samuels holds the record for the highest ever ODI runstand for any wicket (372 runs for 2nd wicket) and also it is the highest ever runstand in for any wicket in World Cup history[SUP][103][/SUP][SUP][104][/SUP][SUP][105][/SUP][SUP][106][/SUP]
He along with Devon Smith set the record for the highest opening stand in ICC World T20 history (145)[SUP][107][/SUP]
First player to hit all 6 balls in an over for four in test cricket.
Gayle has hit the most number of sixes in a T20 innings (18) during the 2017-18 Bangladesh Premier League, breaking his own world record of 17 sixes that he smashed in his unbeatable knock of 175 in the 2013 Indian Premier League.[SUP][108][/SUP]
Gayle is the first player to have scored 20 centuries in all forms of cricket and he holds the record for the highest individual score by a cricketer in a professional T20 league final (146*)[SUP][109][/SUP]
Third batsman to score a century against eleven different countries in ODIs

Hero!

For once I don't agree with you.

The highest level of the game is test cricket and his record there is, whilst decent, well short of greatness.

His commitment to the West Indies and test cricket is questionable - whether walking singles instead of pushing for two, or refusing to play for the West Indies, quitting the captaincy etc. When they needed leadership he didn't provide it. He's one of my least favourite cricketers. Not quite at Darren Stevens level. And then there was that really cringey interview when he hit on that Aussie reporter. Eurgh.

Give me Sangakkara or Lara ahead. I loved watching them bat, even when against my side.

My hero though was Beefy. Whilst I was too young to have seen it live Headingley '81 was seemingly shown every rain break in the late 80s, early 90s. With Beefy a match was never over whilst he was still there with bat (Headingley) or ball (Old Trafford) and that's not even mentioning his slip catching. Then in his spare time when not bashing the Convicts he raised millions for charity or played football semi-professionally for SUFC (wrong one, unfortunately). All this whilst having the confidence to carry off a dodgy mullet and 'tache combination. Imagine the disappointment when he moved to the commentary box and we got to hear his commentary.

Favourite cricketer - Ian Botham - had all the exuberance and charisma, and not too shabby an ability.

Favourite tennis player - Jimmy Connors - similar to Beefy, loads of charisma.

Can't say anyone else particularly springs to mind.

Last edited:
I'd have said Bradley Wiggins a few years ago - I really believed in him - but that's gone now.

I'm not sure any sports star would have 'hero' status, but I'll give a shout out to three real favourites - Walter Payton (RIP), Jess Ennis-Hill and Serena Williams.

For once I don't agree with you.

The highest level of the game is test cricket and his record there is, whilst decent, well short of greatness.

His commitment to the West Indies and test cricket is questionable - whether walking singles instead of pushing for two, or refusing to play for the West Indies, quitting the captaincy etc. When they needed leadership he didn't provide it. He's one of my least favourite cricketers. Not quite at Darren Stevens level. And then there was that really cringey interview when he hit on that Aussie reporter. Eurgh.

Give me Sangakkara or Lara ahead. I loved watching them bat, even when against my side.

My hero though was Beefy. Whilst I was too young to have seen it live Headingley '81 was seemingly shown every rain break in the late 80s, early 90s. With Beefy a match was never over whilst he was still there with bat (Headingley) or ball (Old Trafford) and that's not even mentioning his slip catching. Then in his spare time when not bashing the Convicts he raised millions for charity or played football semi-professionally for SUFC (wrong one, unfortunately). All this whilst having the confidence to carry off a dodgy mullet and 'tache combination. Imagine the disappointment when he moved to the commentary box and we got to hear his commentary.

Each to their own. I'm certainly not a cricket purist and my interest in the game only came to me in my twenties. Perhaps coming into the game in an era where t20 has taken off so much has given me a different perspective from you and most cricket fans.

I'd defend Gayle on the west indies test side though, most of their best players aren't interested in playing tests as their board is so corrupt and don't offer them fair match fees.

I do love t20 cricket and because that is where the money is I think the most talented players will favour that format. You are already seeing massive talents who aren't interested in test cricket. It's a shame, as the ebb and flow of a good test match is wonderful.

When I was younger I worshipped Ayrton Senna I cried like a baby when he died.

Ricky Hatton, he just always came across as so down to earth and just one of the lads. His win against Kosta Tszyu was outstanding he defied all the critics and put on a real show. Then went to Vegas to fight Mayweather and caused him problems early on. He was an outstanding fighter, I loved Mike Tyson too and he was always my favourite and still to this day is my all time favourite boxer.

Tough, so many.
Barry Sheene,
James Hunt,
Seve,
Daley Thompson,
Mohammed Ali,
Ian Botham,
Arthur Ashe,
Mary Peters,
Francis Chichester.

Womens beach volley ball - All of them:winking:

Horse Racing -The greatest ever Lester Piggott

Cricket- Simply the best player to ever hold a bat Sir Viv Richards

Football - John Radford ( I know) many youngsters going who :smile:

Womens beach volley ball - All of them:winking:

Cricket- Simply the best player to ever hold a bat Sir Viv Richards

Football - John Radford ( I know) many youngsters going who :smile:

This was the choice of one of my colleagues, did you watch the tribute piece by Brough Scott on ITV racing on Derby day? Very good.

I do love hearing about sporting heroes I'm not au fait with and their achievements and sacrifices etc.

When I was younger I worshipped Ayrton Senna I cried like a baby when he died.

Ricky Hatton, he just always came across as so down to earth and just one of the lads. His win against Kosta Tszyu was outstanding he defied all the critics and put on a real show. Then went to Vegas to fight Mayweather and caused him problems early on. He was an outstanding fighter, I loved Mike Tyson too and he was always my favourite and still to this day is my all time favourite boxer.

Never really been a motor racing fan but "Senna" the film documentary was amazing

Tough, so many.
Barry Sheene,
James Hunt,
Seve,
Daley Thompson,
Mohammed Ali,
Ian Botham,
Arthur Ashe,
Mary Peters,
Francis Chichester.

My Dad talks all the time about his rivalry with Jurgen Hingsen and how exciting it was. Plus being the best all round athlete in the world is pretty special!

I loved athletics in the 90s and always though Sergey Bubka was pretty special. I read some time ago that he was clearing massive heights in training but each meeting would only beat the world record by 1 or 2cm as there was a bonus at each meeting for beating a world record.

The Racing Post do a today's birthdays feature. Everyone is listed, with what they are known for, and in a priority order decided by the Post's historian John Randall. So at the top might be "Aidan O'Brien, 48, trainer of Galileo" and at the bottom "Dave Smith, 30, PR rep for Salisbury Racecourse".

Lester, and AP McCoy, are always at the top and the only ones who gets the title 'Racing Legend'

My Dad talks all the time about his rivalry with Jurgen Hingsen and how exciting it was. Plus being the best all round athlete in the world is pretty special!

I loved athletics in the 90s and always though Sergey Bubka was pretty special. I read some time ago that he was clearing massive heights in training but each meeting would only beat the world record by 1 or 2cm as there was a bonus at each meeting for beating a world record.

Yelena Isinbaeva used to pull that trick as well. Funny thing with Bubka is that although he broke the WR countless times and won six outdoor World golds, he only won one Olympics.

I really loved track and field in the 90s (I still like it now, but not as much). Sally Gunnell, Colin Jackson, Linford Christie, Roger Black, Steve Backley - what a golden age for GB!

This was the choice of one of my colleagues, did you watch the tribute piece by Brough Scott on ITV racing on Derby day? Very good.

I do love hearing about sporting heroes I'm not au fait with and their achievements and sacrifices etc.

When I worked for the Sporting Life, as a young 17 year old with Big Mac , I had the pleasure of meeting Lester and Willie Carson.
I was told Lester would not talk to any one and was rude and arrogant
Willie Carson was awlful full of **** and self importance, Lester was quiet and unassuming and when I spoke to him was polite and delighful, he loved telling me about his best rides and the ones that got away.
I asked him was it true that he only drank black coffee, smoked cigars and three pieces of chocolate a day before racing, he winked and smiled at me and said in his quiet voice " Don't believe the press stories, I only eat one piece of chocolate" and walked off smiling

True gentleman and his signed autobiography is one that I treasure, you know you meet your sporting heroes and they can disappoint, Lester was the reverse and still in my eyes a true global super star

The Racing Post do a today's birthdays feature. Everyone is listed, with what they are known for, and in a priority order decided by the Post's historian John Randall. So at the top might be "Aidan O'Brien, 48, trainer of Galileo" and at the bottom "Dave Smith, 30, PR rep for Salisbury Racecourse".

Lester, and AP McCoy, are always at the top and the only ones who gets the title 'Racing Legend'

I think Johnny Francome should come in that category as well, him and Dickinson ruled the horse racing world for a period, which took a while to beat
What racing fans can ever forget the first five placing at Cheltenham Gold cup for Dickinson in 1983

I think Johnny Francome should come in that category as well, him and Dickinson ruled the horse racing world for a period, which took a while to beat
What racing fans can ever forget the first five placing at Cheltenham Gold cup for Dickinson in 1983

Two tremendous shouts. I think John Randall limits it to two - I have a feeling AP only joined the ranks when Peter O'Sullevan passed away.

A pal of mine, when working in the Ladbrokes bet acceptance centre, once got called 'a ****' by The Voice Of Racing for not laying him a bet. Sir Peter usually got on whenever he wanted and invariably at a price better than the market but on this occasion we'd been completely filled in so he had to be refused.

Back