• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues on Tour Match Travel SUNDERLAND - 27th October 2018

Yes, we'd be interested too, hadn't realised it's a "seaside", thought it was just the more industrial side of things. Possibly looking to go by train to give himself a proper break.

Cool. I'm looking at train, anything else is just mad long. It looks like the stadium is not far from the station. Travel lodge looks affordable so might do that

£260 return for two of us from Rayleigh to Sunderland. I'll give that a swerve

Received this recently, for the return, which shows a significantly cheaper price...worth signing up to the sites that check these kind of things. Not booked it yet, but hope to soon.

We are pleased to inform you that advance single tickets for your return journey from Newcastle Central (Metro) to Benfleet on 29 October 2018 are now available to buy on Trainline.com.

The cheapest advance single ticket we found for you was £44.50. This price was last checked on 23 June 2018.

Received this recently, for the return, which shows a significantly cheaper price...worth signing up to the sites that check these kind of things. Not booked it yet, but hope to soon.

We are pleased to inform you that advance single tickets for your return journey from Newcastle Central (Metro) to Benfleet on 29 October 2018 are now available to buy on Trainline.com.

The cheapest advance single ticket we found for you was £44.50. This price was last checked on 23 June 2018.
only available to book 3 months in advance I thought? I just use National Rail Inquiries and they don't have options to book that far in advance.

only available to book 3 months in advance I thought? I just use National Rail Inquiries and they don't have options to book that far in advance.
I too checked LNER and Grand Central neither are selling tickets at the moment. BA flight £85 return to Newcastle bit pricey by the time you add parking at Heathrow.

I went to the game the year Sunderland were last in league 1, must have been close to 10 years ago now roughly.

I flew from Stansted to Newcastle using easyjet and I'm pretty sure it cost me around £60 (maybe slightly less) and it took something like an hour or so. Once landed in Newcastle you get the tube (or whatever they call it) straight from the airport directly to The Stadium of Light so it couldn't have been any easier really.

On the way back the squad were in the departure lounge with the other fans but we'd just got smashed 3 nil (I think) so it wasn't that great.

Lovely stadium though and a very good away trip except the actual game.

Just took a look at easyjets website and they no longer fly to Newcastle, I swear I flew with them, maybe it wasn't.

It seems you can only fly to Newcastle from Heathrow using British Airwaysl return flight costing you £252 so probably not worth it considering the journey/cost to the airport and back.

I wasn't going to do the full works on Sunderland yet as it isn't until 27th October and the cheap train fares aren't usually issued till three months before departure. As stated earlier looking at current departures you can get return from London for about £43.

Should be doing the full works about end of July

Yes, we'd be interested too, hadn't realised it's a "seaside", thought it was just the more industrial side of things. Possibly looking to go by train to give himself a proper break.

To be honest, I never knew Sunderland was on the coast either, (had the same impression of it being an industrial town also) and even to make it worse, I used to make regular trips up to Newcastle by train to see a mate who worked there at the time, and just presumed it was also inland with a river, and another distant part of the city / area,.... even used to do pub crawls up to wallsend and still never figured it out because i didn't see the sea, although in hindsight, the boats were a lot bigger there!!...In hindsight, it must have been the copious amounts of brown ale i consumed on the journey.

Last edited:
Just bought a single London Kings cross to Sunderland arrives 1150 27th £ 10.85 advance with senior railcard £16 without the senior railcard.........bargain⚓

Sunderland – Stadium of Light – Saturday 27th October 2018
Capacity: 49,000 (all seated)
Address: Stadium Of Light, Sunderland, SR5 1SU
Telephone: 0371 911 1200

Details for Southend United visit to Sunderland can be found on the following:

Post 2; - Sunderland By Road/Parking

Post 3, - Sunderland Where to Drink

Post 4 - Sunderland By Train

Post 5 - Sunderland By Coach

Post 6 –- Sunderland Ticket information

Post 7 - What’s the Ground like/Reviews

ALL THESE DETAILS OFFERED IN GOOD FAITH PLEASE CHECK CAREFULLY BEFORE BOOKING
IF YOU CAN FIND CHEAPER FARES PLEASE LET US KNOW.

This is your Forum please feel free to post anything relevant to this trip

Sunderland By Road/Parking

The following is from the footballgroundguide site;

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/...t-sunderland.html#adirections-and-car-parking

Exit the A1 at Junction 62, the Durham/Sunderland exit and take the A690 towards Sunderland. After about eight miles, you will reach a roundabout, at which turn left onto the A19, signposted for the Tyne Tunnel. Stay in the left hand lane and take the second slip road towards Sunderland (signposted Stadium Of Light, A1231 Sunderland). This takes you onto a bridge crossing over the River Wear. Turn right onto the A1231 following the signs for Sunderland. Go straight over four roundabouts into Sunderland.

Then go through two sets of traffic lights (keeping in the left hand lane at the second set, going straight on towards Roker rather than the city centre) and you will see the Stadium car park on your right, about a mile after the traffic lights. However there is only limited parking at the ground itself and there is a residents only parking scheme in operation on streets close to the stadium (especially on the estate behind the North Stand). So please check for any warning signs on lamp posts before parking, or you may end up with a hefty parking ticket for your trouble.

Instead you can park at the Stadium of Light Metro Station (cost £4) or alternatively, you can park in the city centre and walk to the ground (about 10-15 minutes). The traffic for a couple of miles around the ground was solid when I went so allow plenty of time for your journey.

There is also a 'Park & Ride' scheme in operation on matchdays, free for both home and away supporters. This is situated at Sunderland Enterprise Park, which is well signposted just off the A1231. Buses run every five minutes, for 90 minutes before kick off and continue after the game until everyone has gone. There is also the option of renting a private driveway near the Stadium of Light via YourParkingSpace.co.uk.

Post Code for SAT NAV: SR5 1SU

Sunderland Where to Drink

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/stadium-of-light-sunderland.html#apubs-for-away-fans

The Club have opened a Fan Zone which is located outside the South East part of the stadium. The area has entertainment in the form of live bands, large screens etc.. Plus food and drink outlets. It is available to both home and away supporters. It is open three hours before kick off and for one hour after the game has ended. Entry is free.

Stephen Lundell informs me; ‘There are two social clubs; the Sunderland Companions club, and the New Democratic Club, both on North Bridge Street (the road approaching the Wearmouth Bridge), which are about a five minute walk away from the stadium. Although they get very busy they do welcome away supporters, and serve reasonably priced beer'. Whilst Jason Adderley a visiting West Brom fan adds; ''The Albion pub, on Victor Street, off Roker Avenue, is a five minute walk from the ground, with some parking nearby. I've used this pub the last three times I've visited Sunderland with West Brom. Always friendly and the landlord even puts on complimentary snacks after the game. Otherwise, there is a chippy a couple of doors away. An all-round top boozer'.

Marcus Bowen a visiting Swansea City fan informs me; 'Just across the road from the stadium (near to the entrance where the Davy Lamp is situated) is the Colliery Tavern. Although predominantly a home fans pub, it does allow in away fans and we had an enjoyable time on our visit. It shows live football on a number of tv's and to cope with the large number of fans it has a marquee outside, also serving beer as well as a burger van.

If you have a bit of time of your hands, then you may like to try the Harbour View on the sea front, which is around a 15-20 minute walk away. Simply go along Roker Avenue (opposite the main entrance to the stadium) until you reach the seafront. Turn left along the front and you will see the pub up on the left. The pub which is listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide, serves good beer (up to six ales), reasonably priced food (with its own matchday menu) and has a large screen television. As the name of the pub suggests you get some good views along the coast from its location. Marcus Ford a visiting Southampton fan adds; 'We tried the Wolsey just down from the Harbour View. It had some real ales and a large eating area and outside decking with glass windbreaks. But by far the best pub was the William Jameson on Fawcett Street in the city centre. It is a Wetherspoons pub that does get busy before and after the game, but they put on plenty of bar staff, so you don't have to wait long to get served. We spent much of the time talking to locals and having a good time!' Otherwise, alcohol is also available inside the stadium, in the form of Carling Lager (£4), Carling Cider (£3.80) and Worthingtons (£3.80) and various wines (£3.90). However, for certain games the Club opt not to sell alcohol to away supporters. The Club also offer 2 Pies and 2 Pints for £12 (well that's me sorted, where's yours?).

SUNDERLAND by Train

A new ground for many and bound to be a popular trip

FROM THE STATION

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/...-of-light-sunderland.html#aby-train-and-metro

Sunderland Railway Station is located just under one mile away from the Stadium of Light and takes around 15-20 minutes to walk. Paul Duck informs me; 'You will exit the station opposite Greggs. Turn right out of the station heading up towards a JJB Sports store and walk through the gap between JJB and a nail bar to the right of JJB. Keep walking straight ahead and within 100m you will see the Stadium Of Light rising up in front of you over the Wearmouth Bridge'. Simply cross the bridge, and turn left into Millennium Way, opposite the now closed Wheatsheaf pub. The away turnstiles are located on the side of the ground which is straight ahead.

Ashley Smith adds; "The Metro stations called the 'Stadium of Light' and 'St. Peters' both serve the stadium. The metro provides regular and rapid transport from both Newcastle and the South of Sunderland. Both stations are only a few minutes walk from the stadium, although away supporters should alight at St Peters Station as that is closer to their entrance. This provides an alternative to the regular rail services. Please note though that after the game the Stadium of Light metro station only operates Northbound (i.e. towards Newcastle) and St Peters metro station only operates Southbound (i.e. towards Sunderland centre). Michael Freanch a visiting Birmingham City fan informs me; 'If you are going into Newcastle after the match then then it may be an idea to walk walk into the centre of Sunderland (10-15 minutes walk) and get metro from there. You will get a seat and also avoid the large crowds at the Stadium of Light station'

TRAIN FROM LONDON

8.47 Kings Cross direct to Sunderland arrive 13.10 £43.00 advance single
18.12 Sunderland direct to London Kings cross arrive 21.42 £53.50 advance single

Other trains dearer

Prices as at 14/10/18

Tickets must be bought in advance but can be booked on line at the following link:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/London/SUN/271018/1000/dep/271018/1700/dep#outwardJump

TRAIN FROM SOUTHEND
Fares fromsouthend are being quoted as a massive £151.20 return, so buy a ticket to London and then buy as above fromLondon.

If you are travelling from Southend it is worth giving consideration to the coach services mentioned elsewhere which will be cheaper and easier

Last edited:
Last edited:
SUNDERLAND TICKET INFORMATION

Details are now on the SUFC Official site as follows:

Tickets for Blues' Sky Bet League One trip to Sunderland on Saturday 27th October are on general sale.
We have been issued an initial allocation of 1,008 tickets which are situated in the North Stand Upper, tier 3, including 6 pairs of wheelchair and carer tickets.

Prices are as follows:

Adults £20.00
Over 65 £17.50
Under 22 £12.50
Under 16 £7.50

Disabled tickets are priced at the age-related category with a carer free of charge.

Purchase tickets for the game from the Blues Box Office, Online or by calling 08444 770077.

Last edited:
WHAT’S IT LIKE FOR AWAY FANS

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/...rland.html#awhat-is-it-like-for-visiting-fans

Away fans are now housed in the Upper Tier of the North Stand at one end of the stadium, where around 3,000 fans can be housed for league games. For cup games then up to 9,000 visiting supporters can be accommodated in this tier if demand requires it). Although the facilities are fine in this area, you do have to climb a large number of flights of stairs to reach this top tier. It almost feels if this area has been 'tucked in' under the stadium roof, as it comes down over this section. It means that if you are sitting towards the back of the tier, then although you can see the pitch, you get a limited view of the majority of the rest of the stadium, giving the feeling of being a bit cut off from it all. On the food front, then the club offers; Fish & Chips (£5.50), Various Pies (£3.50) including the Chicken Balti Pie, Cornish Pasties (£3) and Jumbo Sausage Rolls (£3).

When people ask me which grounds are 'the best' to visit, then Sunderland inevitably comes out as one of my top five recommendations. On its day the place can be rocking, the PA system deafening (especially when the classical piece 'Dance Of The Knights' from Prokofiev's 'Romeo & Juliet' is played before the players come on to the pitch at the start of the game and the Futurehead's 'Beginning of the Twist', as the teams come out of the tunnel) and the Sunderland supporters exceptionally friendly (I was even given a Sunderland shirt by one supporter!). But bear in mind you are not allowed to swear inside the stadium, so if you persist you may find yourself being ejected from the ground!

Back